Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gander

I would say if you've the foundations in and building control have inspected  them then your original plan that was passed by will still stand.

Hereiam

Guys can anyone recommend a uPVC window manufacture around the Belfast area.

mb80b60

Morning lads.  We have a 3000 sq ft site with foundations in.  We are coming around to the thinking that 3000 is far too big.  If we wanted to reduce the size of the house is it a big undertaking to take out the foundations and amend the layout of the house?  Also, I assume since we're reducing the size of the house that planning shouldn't be an issue?  It's in Armagh by the way.

Cheers.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: mb80b60 on December 02, 2014, 08:45:32 AM
Morning lads.  We have a 3000 sq ft site with foundations in.  We are coming around to the thinking that 3000 is far too big.  If we wanted to reduce the size of the house is it a big undertaking to take out the foundations and amend the layout of the house?  Also, I assume since we're reducing the size of the house that planning shouldn't be an issue?  It's in Armagh by the way.

Cheers.

Planning wise you would need to apply for a change of house type.  If it is confirmed that the works had commenced on the site before the planning permission expired then the change of house type application should really only be a formality (if the design of the house is in any way reasonable).

mb80b60

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on December 02, 2014, 09:01:15 AM
Quote from: mb80b60 on December 02, 2014, 08:45:32 AM

Cheers.

Planning wise you would need to apply for a change of house type.  If it is confirmed that the works had commenced on the site before the planning permission expired then the change of house type application should really only be a formality (if the design of the house is in any way reasonable).

That's what I was hoping Cuervo, cheers.  Do you know if it's a big undertaking to change the founds when they're already in?

Hereiam

You are best to get a structural engineer to advise on this. It will not be a case of digging out a section of foundation and laying a new one in a different direction, the whole thing needs to be tied together or else it could be a nightmare. If you do dig up and relay foundations one thing that will happen is that you are going to increase the risk of "differential settlement" which will cause more cracks in the house.
Another option would be to get a good Architect or Technologist an try to use the existing founds and amend the layout of the around this. Anything is possible these days (if u have money).

HiMucker

My sister had this exact problem.  As mentioned above, she went back to the architect and got it sorted.  I think what happened was they got a garage added in, that they could easily renovate in the future if needed.  I think there was a few other tweaks and that to reduce the square footage, but over all they didn't have to change the founds and reduced the cost of their build.

mb80b60

Quote from: HiMucker on December 02, 2014, 12:48:25 PM
My sister had this exact problem.  As mentioned above, she went back to the architect and got it sorted.  I think what happened was they got a garage added in, that they could easily renovate in the future if needed.  I think there was a few other tweaks and that to reduce the square footage, but over all they didn't have to change the founds and reduced the cost of their build.

Thanks Mucker and HereIam.  I have a couple of ideas for reducing the square footage (including incorporating the garage in the existing build and removing the sun room.  Thanks for the advice, no doubt I'll be returning for more.

TabClear

Looking some advice here on damp patches in a house? Our bedrooms/bathroom suffer badly from small damp patches etc on ceiling. I have 2 kids under 5 so the house is like a furnance most days so its not that the house is cold.

House is a standard 3 bed semi. I have been told that something called Positive Air is a good option, basically a fan in the attic that circulates air through vents. Anyone any experience of this from a cost/effectiveness perspective?

Cheers

Hereiam

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2014, 06:47:52 PM
Looking some advice here on damp patches in a house? Our bedrooms/bathroom suffer badly from small damp patches etc on ceiling. I have 2 kids under 5 so the house is like a furnance most days so its not that the house is cold.

House is a standard 3 bed semi. I have been told that something called Positive Air is a good option, basically a fan in the attic that circulates air through vents. Anyone any experience of this from a cost/effectiveness perspective?

Cheers

A couple of questions
What age is the house
Do the windows have trickle vents
Does the extract fan work in the bathroom
When u say damp is it damp to touch or is mould growin in these spots.
If its mould its a condensation problem.

For the ceilings i would go into the attic and see if the insulation had been moved above where the problem areas are.
A Drimaster unit in the attic with a vent into the hall would work. U might need to have a bit shaved of the bottom of the doors to help with air circulation so no need for a bent to each room.

If the extraction fan is not working get it fixed. The bathroom is a source of alot of moisture.

CD

Quote from: Hereiam on December 12, 2014, 07:41:24 PM

Cheers

A couple of questions
What age is the house

For the ceilings i would go into the attic and see if the insulation had been moved above where the problem areas are.
A Drimaster unit in the attic with a vent into the hall would work. U might need to have a bit shaved of the bottom of the doors to help with air circulation so no need for a bent to each room.

If the extraction fan is not working get it fixed. The bathroom is a source of alot of moisture.
I have the same problem in one of my bathrooms. I turned off the extractor because it was too noisy and woke the kids every time I turned it on in the morning - result - condensation and mould! I just make sure I always open the window when I shower. Problem solved although it was a cold shower this morning with the windy open!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Quote from: CD on December 12, 2014, 07:48:49 PM

Cheers

A couple of questions
What age is the house

I have the same problem in one of my bathrooms. I turned off the extractor because it was too noisy and woke the kids every time I turned it on in the morning - result - condensation and mould! I just make sure I always open the window when I shower. Problem solved although it was a cold shower this morning with the windy open!
I do that too(open the window while shower)
I reckon the poor OAP lady that lives behind us has gotten an eyeful of me arse on more than one occasion!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Cheers

A couple of questions
What age is the house

Those little 4inch fans in a bathroom wall or ceiling are not worth fcuk.
What you need is a centrifugal condensation fan. Very expensive but you'll never have any bother with damp or steam build up...or smells ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Cheers Hereiam and LL. There is an extractor fan in the bathroom but its pretty weedy! That might be the first port of call. I am going to take a look at the insulation in the loft anyway to make sure its up to spec.

Appreciate the advice

theskull1

Attic truss insulation. 150mm timbers. Would I be right in saying that 100 kingspan (or equivalent) is the way to go? or is battening it out further and putting in fibre a better (and cheaper?) job?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera