FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Declan

Great atmosphere in Landsdowne last night but how annoying were those paper planes!!. Delighted for the lads who really enjoyed the lap of honour. Thought Duff was excellent in what really was a training exercise. Anyway roll on the draw

Nice to see Kilbane included in the pic

AQMP

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 15, 2011, 10:59:54 PM
Pots apparently are

Poland, Ukraine, Spain, Holland

Italy, Germany, Russia, England

Croatia, Sweden, Portugal, Greece

Denmark, France, Czech Rep, Ireland

Bailout Required

Spain, Germany, Portugal, Ireland

Deficit Reduction

Poland, Russia, Sweden, Ireland

Billys Boots

Quote from: AFS on November 16, 2011, 01:08:39 AM
Quote from: maldini on November 15, 2011, 10:47:40 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 15, 2011, 09:31:23 PM
How bad is McGeady??

McGeady did more in a minute tonight than Hunt - his rival for the starting spot - did all game. Hunt was brutal i thought, and proved what ive always said, he's better coming off the bench with 20 mins to go to run at tiring teams

Yeah McGeady is frustrating with his final ball more often than not, but he's a game changer when he does get it right. Has scored or had a hand in numerous goals in this qualifying campaign, and been generally one of our better players

maldini knows.

Many of those that criticise McGeady do not appear to have appreciated how the team is set up. We have eight or nine lads that are under instruction to keep it simple and take no risks with the ball. Five yard passes or long hoofs are the order of the day. We then have two wingers that are given the freedom to try stuff, usually when high up the field with plenty of protection in behind. Most of the time this stuff doesn't come off and possession is lost. This is somewhat understandable given how little support our attacking players receive from other areas of the team. But with the side's formidable defensive record, it often only takes it one successful moment of individualism from Duff or McGeady to turn a game in our favour. Hunt, Lawrence, Keogh, etc. do not have anywhere approaching the natural talent as the aforementioned duo, which is why they are not entrusted with these 'game changer' roles.

I was talking to a few lads who were in Estonmia for the match - it wasn't apparent on the telly, but they said that Dunne and St. Ledger were getting very frustrated with McGeady in the first half; he was never in his slot when they were looking to play it down the left-hand channel, they always had to take the Duff option down the right.  Just saying.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

highorlow

Quote[Nice to see Kilbane included in the pic/quote]

Nice to see John Delaney also.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Denn Forever

Trappatoni also seemed to be frustrated by him and was trying to gain his attention in the first half.  After that McGeedy seemed to stay in position and got the ball further from the sideline and went directly at the opposition.  It worked.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thewobbler

Agree with you on McGeady AFS. He's no great player, but his ability to cause uncertainty is much needed by this Ireland team.

There is a real chance of a group with England, Greece and Ireland in it. NilNilarama. Somebody would need to wake me up after the group stages if that was case.

Declan

The Republic of Ireland are in the fourth group of seeds for the Euro 2012 finals draw, UEFA confirmed today.

Giovanni Trapattoni's men, whose qualification for the finals was confirmed last night, are in the fourth group of seeds alongside Denmark, the Czech Republic and France.

That means they cannot face the French, who knocked them out in a controversial World Cup qualification play-off two years ago.

Fabio Capello's England are in the second group alongside Euro 2008 runners-up Germany, 2006 world champions Italy and Russia in the second pot.

Reigning world and European champions Spain are in the top group of seeds, alongside 2010 World Cup finalists Holland plus co-hosts Poland and Ukraine, who have already been allocated to groups A and D respectively.

As well as the potential 'Group of Death', there is also the possibility of a 'Group of Debt' made up of ailing Eurozone members Spain, Italy, Greece and the Republic.

A more palatable group for Trapattoni's team might be to be drawn against Poland, England and Greece.

The pots have been decided on the countries' UEFA coefficient rankings, except for the co-hosts.

:: Seedings for Euro 2012

Pot 1: Spain, Holland, Poland*, Ukraine*.

Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia.

Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden.

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

* Poland already allocated to Group A, Ukraine already allocated to Group D.

The draw for the finals will be made in Kiev on December 2.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/uefa-confirm-seedings-for-euro-2012-528536.html#ixzz1driT02Pd

Denn Forever

Another good thing about Qualification.

APRES MATCH
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

I keep wondering but never remember to ask - who is the fat bloke in the tie who looks like a bouncer and who's always on camera?

ludermor

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on November 15, 2011, 10:29:56 PM
Quote from: stew on November 15, 2011, 10:26:54 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 15, 2011, 10:23:07 PM
Highlight of the night was the 3 panelists on about keepy upies, and Bill asking what are Keepy upies... :D

I see roy the Irish patriot referring to the ROI qualifying on utv as they this, they that, should it not be WE.. >:(

Looking forward to the summer big time now, although being a GAA nut it maybe impossible to go to this based on Sligo and St Molaise Gaels fixtures clashing with Irelands games.

When he walked out on his country in Saipan he forfeited the right to say WE.  :P

Roy is yesterdays Stephen Ireland. :-\
Was he not sent home though.............

Correct.

Hardy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Seems a bit unfair that the hosts get seeded into Pot1 without even having to qualify!

Current rankings:

Ireland - 25
Ukraine - 58
Poland - 64

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html
Tbc....

imtommygunn

Well if we get one of these two teams from pool 1 then I'd be more than happy!

(That's not to say we would beat them but they're a lot more beatable than some of the top teams in there)