Hotels in Galway

Started by gawa316, February 07, 2008, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

I'm headin down to Galway this wkd with the future in-laws (who are american). We are looking to stay in the city centre. I have been recommended a few places like Jury's, Victoria Hotel and The Harbour Hotel.

Has anyone any recommendations taking into consideration price, locality to pubs (stubbling distance), parking etc?

Any help would be much appreciated so I won't look like a dick in front of the mother-in-law etc

the Deel Rover

can't beat Jurys for stumbling distance right at the bottom of shop street, they have parking there think it costs an extra 10 per night
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossie11

The harbour hotel is 5mins walk from shop street.
www.harbour.ie
Free parking. Not as close as Jurys but less of a chance of running into a stag or hen.

Hardy

Doesn't make any difference. They're Americans? They won't be happy no matter what hotel you choose.

Ryano

Quote from: gawa316 on February 07, 2008, 03:31:22 PM
I'm headin down to Galway this wkd with the future in-laws (who are american). We are looking to stay in the city centre. I have been recommended a few places like Jury's, Victoria Hotel and The Harbour Hotel.

Has anyone any recommendations taking into consideration price, locality to pubs (stubbling distance), parking etc?

Any help would be much appreciated so I won't look like a dick in front of the mother-in-law etc

The Foster Court Hotel on foster street, car park directly behind it and 30 second walk from Eyre Square. The Park House is beside this and very popular with American Tourists, (bit on the pricey side though). The Radisson Hotel on Lough Atalia Road is just around the corner from the Foster Court and about 2 minutes walk from Eyre Square. The Imperial Hotel is on Eyre Square but i would stay well clear of it. The Meyrick (formerly Great Southern) is also on Eyre Square (lovely views over the square) but might be too expensive depending on your budget. The House Hotel (formerly Brennans Yard) on Lower Merchants Road is approx 5 minutes from Eyre Square but is spitting distance to Shop + Quay streets. Lots of fab restaurants on Quay street as well as pubs. Thats about the lot if you don't want to go traveling too far from Eyre Square.   

GalwayBayBoy

Or you could try The G. Bit further out of the centre though and a bit more pricey probably.

http://www.theghotel.ie/g/

magickingdom

Quote from: gawa316 on February 07, 2008, 03:31:22 PM

remember gawa the yanks might want a nights sleep, so stumbling distance might not be a great idea. city center hotels at the w/e are often best avoided if the older ones want to snooze. if not you cant go wrong with jurys in galway, some great pubs in that area..

dodo

Head up to Gratton Park in Lower Salthill, loads of cheap B&Bs within 10 minute walk of Quay Street. You could all be bungled into one large bedroom and would also sort out the issue of the in-laws visiting the auld sod too often !
No matter what happens these Bean a´Tigh´s will give you the guilty looks in the morning.