Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Just watched Brendan Irvines fight there that got him qualification for the olympics. I would know little about scoring in Amateur boxing but i felt he was very lucky to get the win there.
The other fighter was busier and landed a lot more although he was a bit of a headcase with not much pattern to what he was doing other than being aggressive on the front foot and swinging but definitely looked to be the dominant fighter to my untrained eye  :-\ ??

Atticus_Finch

As MR2 indicated a couple of weeks back.  Frampton vs Santa Cruz has been agreed for New York.  From what I've heard no dates have been confirmed but there is chat that it will take place on 30th July.  Massive fight for Carl, it will give him that exposure in the states that the Gonzalez Jr fight failed to deliver.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 22, 2016, 10:10:45 PM
As MR2 indicated a couple of weeks back.  Frampton vs Santa Cruz has been agreed for New York.  From what I've heard no dates have been confirmed but there is chat that it will take place on 30th July.  Massive fight for Carl, it will give him that exposure in the states that the Gonzalez Jr fight failed to deliver.

Flights for 569 return for the 30th.... Trying to get permission  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

lurganblue

GGG wins handy again at the weekend.  What's your opinions on this lad? I've watched a bit of him and yes he does look impressive but surely we have to question his opposition throughout the years?  I had friends telling me that he is" the best ever" at the weekend ffs.

nrico2006

I know it has been widely reported, but has there been as high profile a case in the last few years of a boxer being avoided as much as GGG has.  He wants the fights but the others are afraid.  He has a few of the belts therefore he is fighting mandatories etc and is hardly cherry picking opponents.  He is going to fight for the WBC title in September, against who is another question.  If Alvarez beats Khan then his team will probably try and push this fight from happening.  It would be embarassing if he actually does push for the 155 limit, and surely the WBC have to stand firm on this and not bow to Alvarez and his demands.  He is the same size as Golovkin and comes into the ring reportedly at 170, therefore just agree to the fight and get on with it.  I do really believe GGG is the real deal, I have never saw a fighter that combines technical abilility with the power he has.  He knocks men out no matter where he hits them, even at the weekend he caught Wade with a glancing blow to the back of the head and put him down.  His ring craft is second to none given his experience in the amateurs etc, and he also has a strong chin as he tends to eat punches as he is confident is his ability to take them.  The only thing that beats him is either age or facing someone bigger.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omaghjoe

Would concurr with nrico, love Golovkin think he is my favourite fighter since Kostya Tszyu

I think GGG is the real deal, maybe the best middleweight ever but I dont know if we are ever gonna get a chance to find that out, cause no one of real worth will give him a fight.

Canelo and delaHoya in particular are infuriating for boxing fans with the ducking and catchweights BS. But then the fight already happened at a sparring session in Abel Sanchez's gym where Canelo got beat around the ring for a couple of rounds, so maybe thats the real reason.

There's talk about Saunders going for it as well, and he actually would be as well to take it, he's unlikely to ever get a payday like it again.

BTW the BS talk about Mayweather v GGG is stupid, GGGs power timing and ring cutting would take him to pieces pretty quickly IMO. However it would not be a fair fight for Mayweather as it would be giving up 2 weight classes from his natural weight

gallsman

He's great but best ever? Up there with Robinson, Monzon, Hagler and Hopkins? Not yet in my opinion, nowhere close.

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on April 26, 2016, 09:25:36 AM
He's great but best ever? Up there with Robinson, Monzon, Hagler and Hopkins? Not yet in my opinion, nowhere close.

This is my opinion.  Best ever is a stretch.

Boxing needs to go to one or possibly 2 belts per division.  That would surely cut down all this dodging of fights.

omaghjoe

Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2016, 09:54:23 AM

Boxing needs to go to one or possibly 2 belts per division.  That would surely cut down all this dodging of fights.

Thing is, great opponents make great champs and he just is not getting great opponents

For example prior to Duran, Hearns et all moving up to MW Hagler wasnt considered anything special but after he disposed of them was considered one of the greatest.

I dont know enough about Robinson but I suspect that Monzon is the only guy who would have had a hope against Golovkin at MW. But like I say...I suspect! We may never actually find out how good he is unless the governing bodies get their act together and give the fights we all want to see

screenexile

I think the press conference was a complete farce . . . Our Heavyweight Champion of the World everyone!!

There seemed to be a lot of talk of Klitschko's cheating with padding in rings/gloves etc.

Is that valid?

Syferus

Vlad beat alot of blown up cruiserweights he could paw away (illegally) with his big jab. Met a half decent big guy with a longer reach who could do the same to him and he was fûcked. Him continually clinching inside rather than trying to mix it with the big man really put paid to the idea he has a high boxing IQ. One note is the best way to describe him tbh.

CiKe

Quote from: Syferus on April 27, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Vlad beat alot of blown up cruiserweights he could paw away (illegally) with his big jab. Met a half decent big guy with a longer reach who could do the same to him and he was fûcked. Him continually clinching inside rather than trying to mix it with the big man really put paid to the idea he has a high boxing IQ. One note is the best way to describe him tbh.

What is illegal about the jab? Considered by many - who would know a lot more than me - to be the best jab since Larry Holmes. Think your judgement being clouded by fact his fights were boring by and large but shouldn't take away from him being good fighter. Be interesting rematch.

CiKe

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 26, 2016, 04:05:11 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2016, 09:54:23 AM

Thing is, great opponents make great champs and he just is not getting great opponents

For example prior to Duran, Hearns et all moving up to MW Hagler wasnt considered anything special but after he disposed of them was considered one of the greatest.

I dont know enough about Robinson but I suspect that Monzon is the only guy who would have had a hope against Golovkin at MW. But like I say...I suspect! We may never actually find out how good he is unless the governing bodies get their act together and give the fights we all want to see

GGG is different class to what is around today. Needs to fight Andre Ward and kovalev though. As to where he ranks vs the greats of yesteryear, not sure. Hagler is rated so highly on the basis of the famous four to some extent but he was the naturally heavier man among them. for my money he was robbed against Sugar Ray but were his real middleweight opponents that much better than GGG's?

TF15

GGG a small enough middleweight is hardly going to jump two weight classes to fight Kova and Ward who are operating at Light Heavy. He's a genuine middleweight and wants to clear up the division but today it's an absolute nightmare to get unification fights, especially for GGG. If Canelo avoids him I'll be gutted. Billy Joe Saunders will do his very best to avoid him at all costs too.

The criticism of Klitschko is valid. He always had a thick sponge underlay under the canvas so it was hard to move and only he trained with such a canvas thus giving him an advantage. The Furys stood up to Klitschko (who is a control freak) on the canvas and hand wraps (wrapped his hands without a member of Furys team present). Wlad and Vitali were bad for the heavyweight scene as they fought only in Germany and had boring styles (more so Wlad), so I hope Fury wins setting up some good fights with Joshua, Wilder and Haye. Wlad seemed pissed off at today's press conference, he really hates Fury's antics and has the bit between his teeth, will it result in a more aggressive and positive performance.... I'm not sure!