Ulster Club SFC 2023

Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Schkite

Quote from: FermGael on November 25, 2023, 09:11:37 PMIt's very strange that the Jack McCarron transfer does not seem to getting anything like the same negative publicity when you compare it to what Crokes and Walsh got .

In fact it's hardly been mentioned.

Well it's been a fairly controversial topic in Monaghan, depending who you're talking to. If he'd moved earlier in his career then I doubt there'd have been as much said about it, given it's his father's club. It's the fact that he's moving in his prime when they're already the strongest and biggest (by far) club in the county that has annoyed some people.

Maybe that hasn't come across outside the county though.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Schkite on November 25, 2023, 09:19:47 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 25, 2023, 09:11:37 PMIt's very strange that the Jack McCarron transfer does not seem to getting anything like the same negative publicity when you compare it to what Crokes and Walsh got .

Well it's been a fairly controversial topic in Monaghan, depending who you're talking to. If he'd moved earlier in his career then I doubt there'd have been as much said about it, given it's his father's club. It's the fact that he's moving in his prime when they're already the strongest and biggest (by far) club in the county that has annoyed some people.

Did he not try when he was younger but there was a huge kick up at that stage so he backed down? 

Schkite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2023, 09:24:10 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 25, 2023, 09:19:47 PM

Did he not try when he was younger but there was a huge kick up at that stage so he backed down? 

Could be, can't remember details but that rings a bell.

My theory is that Dick wouldn't let him transfer when he was still playing! Currin had some success at lower levels, which would have been tougher without Jack.

JoG2

Opening a beer soon, need to hear more from Oso. 'Oso's Opinions... '

Oso

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2023, 08:54:50 PMGlen a kick of the ball away from wining the Club final last year, to being average? But in the Ulster final again, some craic

Well I'd expect you to follow the narrative anyway.

I said a team of runners but average footballers. I keep hearing  excuses for them not being able to kick scores, off day in front of the post, but if they'd taken their chances etc, etc. Maybe, when there's pressure on they're just not good enough to take the scores.  And we keep getting told they're timing it til they peak etc.

Maybe judge it on merit.

GTP

Forward and defensive mark should be banished from the sport.
Glen are in the top 2 in Ulster so cannot be bang average.
I don't think refs buy most of the rolling around so not sure why players keep at it. They must watch games back and be embarrassed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Oso on November 25, 2023, 09:49:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2023, 08:54:50 PMGlen a kick of the ball away from wining the Club final last year, to being average? But in the Ulster final again, some craic

Well I'd expect you to follow the narrative anyway.

I said a team of runners but average footballers. I keep hearing  excuses for them not being able to kick scores, off day in front of the post, but if they'd taken their chances etc, etc. Maybe, when there's pressure on they're just not good enough to take the scores.  And we keep getting told they're timing it til they peak etc.

Maybe judge it on merit.

What's that say about the teams they have duffed theses last couple of years if they are poor enough?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WT4E

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what a game of small margins.

The failed catch at the end by NC player.... he almost turned around expecting the break to be gone but then realised he could of had it and then Glen nicked it when it was loose and go down to kick the winner.

Unlucky NC. Great effort.

Armagh18

Quote from: WT4E on November 25, 2023, 10:47:57 PMNot sure if it's been mentioned but what a game of small margins.

The failed catch at the end by NC player.... he almost turned around expecting the break to be gone but then realised he could of had it and then Glen nicked it when it was loose and go down to kick the winner.

Unlucky NC. Great effort.
Yeah felt for him there but thats the fine margins at this level, sometimes you get the rub of the green sometimes you don't. Looking forward to the other semi and final, should be 2 good close games.

Wildweasel74

As close as it was, maybe a reality check is needed, Glen I thought were awful, compared to some games I seen them play this year. Glenties couldn't mount a score to the 20+ minute. Got a penalty gifted to them,Glen a penalty or def free denied, think he was inside, when pulled back, outside of Thompson they offered very little else.

WT4E

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 25, 2023, 11:58:51 PMAs close as it was, maybe a reality check is needed, Glen I thought were awful, compared to some games I seen them play this year. Glenties couldn't mount a score to the 20+ minute. Got a penalty gifted to them,Glen a penalty or def free denied, think he was inside, when pulled back, outside of Thompson they offered very little else.

Sometimes teams play poorly because the opposition nullify them. Credit to NC I feel.

Aaron Boone

You get the feeling  Scotstown are further down the road and won't be giving Glen second chances.

Milltown Row2

I know I'm going against my own logic here... but I'm fancying the Tyrone lads to do it today. Think they've had enough time to get over the joys of the last game and refocus on Scotstown.

Can't see it being another high scoring game either so tight opening 20 minutes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Harold Disgracey

Kevin Falloon refereeing, this could be fun!