Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Galls if you have the opinion that it was penalty fair enough but stonewall?

Smalling stood his ground when his foot came out Zhirkov executed a dive very well, maybe the next time Smalling should levitate? Besides the penalty I was well impressed with Smalling Chelsea forwards rarely troubled him certainly one for the future IMO

Anyways i won't cry over spilled milk Chelsea needed that decision to win the game as it was heading for a draw & it's a shame the ref grabbed all the headlines people will forget it was quality game of football where United more than played there part.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

new devil

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 03, 2011, 12:27:40 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2011, 11:13:05 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 02, 2011, 11:00:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDbIr3DILNc&feature=player_embedded

That Rooney dive for those who missed it. Should've been booked.

I wasn't sure at the time but that shows he was accidentally clipped knocking one foot into the other. Not a dive and actually more of a pen than the one Chelsea got.

1. The "disallowed goal" - whistle went before Torres hit the ball. O'Shea as fouled. I seen a bit of hauling by defenders and attackers in that box. He should've let play go on. I'll take the whistle argument which leaves it a 'maybe'.
2. Nani had the guy beaten with a nut meg and Ivanoic barged him over and sat on him. It was clear. What had Nani to gain by wrestling with a guy he had a step on? I am not sure if they were wrestling, maybe they both over balanced. Definately not a foul IMHO.
3. Clearly moved his hand to the ball as per Wilkins in studio also. Hands were defo not by his side.  They looked by his side to me.
4. Dealt with above.
5. Total bullshit here Norf. Hernandez did get hit in the face and got up fairly quickly. That's the kind of lad he is. Really? A dozen or two pages back you were cringing at Hernandez diving but now he's the salt of the earth. I don't think he got up quickly at all if I remember rightly. Maybe 'other' replays show he did get hit in the face. The ones I seen didn't.
6. He barely touched him. Ramires shit his pants and anticipated a belt that didn't quite arrive. Ref actually called this correctly.
7. I stand over what I said. Pretty disgraceflu decision. You're entitled to your opinion but most don't agree. Most? About 50/50 in terms of people's opinions I'd suggest. It looked a penalty to me

To be honest. As stated several times your scorer should not have been on the pitch due to the failings of a ref on Saturday, but today when the odd decision (Thinking Luiz's red card here in the main) goes against you the ref gets persecuted.

I suppose that's football fans..

1.Everyone stopped play once the ref blew his whistle,so torres had a free shot on goal which he nearly fucked up
2.You really need to go to specsavers if you didn't see that nani was clearly fouled,or at least take the blue tainted specs :p
3.See point above about specsavers
5.i think some diving has crept into his game and hope he cuts that shit out but the tackle you are talking about he did get hit in the face and was roughed up all night by the Chelsea defenders
6.Don't no why Rooney went charging in after the ball was gone,even thou it was only shoulder to shoulder..don't think is right at all
7.Clearly not a penalty but no point talking about that because we have been on the right side of them on a few occasions ;)

nrico2006

Rooney should have been booked if he dived.

Terry should have conceded a penalty, he saw the ball come from 20 or 30 yards away and had time to either get out of the way or put a body part to it (that is not his arm) yet he decided to lean his body and arm towards the ball to stop it from reaching its intended course.

Chelsea's penalty never was a penalty, Smalling had his legs planted in the ground seconds before the Chelsea player came anywhere near him, the Chelsea player simply ran into his legs.  If thats a penalty then from now on I guess we will see players running firectly at opposing defenders to try and get penalties for obstuction.

Luiz should have been sent-off, all you want is consistency from a referee.  If they are consistently good then that is great, if they are consistently bad then at least both teams suffer equally.  It just seems that the referee is now the deciding factor in United and Chelsea games. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Clown

Johnny Giles speaks the truth -

John Giles: Karma catches up with United

Wednesday March 02 2011

FOOTBALL will always even out over time. What may seem like an outrageous injustice or stroke of luck is rarely without an equal and opposite counter balance during the course of a season.

Wayne Rooney, by all standards of fairness and common sense, should not have been on the pitch at Stamford Bridge last night after the mad act of stupidity he committed against James McCarthy.

But Alex Ferguson turned logic on its head after Manchester United were beaten by Chelsea and instead of taking defeat on the chin and losing with good grace, he fumed about referees.

Instead of showing wisdom and maturity by accepting that fate was flowing against Manchester United in this one, just a few days after he got lucky, Ferguson threw his rattle out of the pram.

It's infuriating. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that Rooney got away with deliberately elbowing McCarthy in the side of the head last Saturday.

He should have been carpeted for five or six games for what he did to McCarthy, but Mark Clattenburg and the English FA chose to let him off.

But he shouldn't have been on the pitch to send a daisy cutter whizzing passed Peter Cech and give Manchester United the lead and he shouldn't have been on the pitch to fall pole-axed under the close attention of David Luiz.

ACCUMULATION

Sure, Luiz deserved to be sent off for an accumulation of heavy-handed and wild tackles but by the way Ferguson was talking in the post-match interviews, bad decisions by the referee were responsible for the 2-1 scoreline.

Not bad defending or a fantastic finish by Luiz, but bad decisions by Martin Atkinson. This was absolutely ridiculous stuff from Ferguson – even worse than normal.

He railed against the fact that Luiz stayed on the pitch but didn't see the tackle by Nemanja Vidic which attracted a second yellow and subsequent red card.

The hypocrisy was absolutely breathtaking and left a bad smell around what was a great game of football. At the root of it all is Ferguson's total belief that the team he sends out to play cannot be beaten.

It is his great strength and, in this case, his weakness.

This ferocious confidence and belief in his team produces the kind of tunnel vision which allows him to castigate Atkinson for not sending Luiz off just a handful of days after his star man got away with murder.

He cannot see any side he picks being beaten so he must find another reason for the defeat.

Atkinson and Luiz were just handy scapegoats. But the bottom line for Ferguson is the fact that he lost the game and allowed Arsenal and Arsene Wenger to creep ever closer.

I would be concerned if I was a Manchester United fan that as the season progresses, more and more seems to revolve around Paul Scholes.

He got no help at all at Stamford Bridge and was blowing hard after an hour.

Michael Carrick amazes me. Rarely has a player who cost so much been responsible for so little at Manchester United, and Darren Fletcher wasn't a whole lot better.

There was a time a while back when Fletcher seemed to focus his energy and enthusiasm very effectively but he was chasing shadows all night when Scholes needed some young legs to take the ball and some pressure off him.

It was telling indeed that Ferguson threw Ryan Giggs in to replace Scholes; a clear sign that he simply doesn't trust Darron Gibson to play the Scholes role in the teeth of a Top Four clash with a lot at stake.

Scholes simply must stay fit and he will be hugely important again when Manchester United visit Anfield this coming weekend.

Ferguson knows that he has given Wenger some comfort with this result. Arsenal must have been hurting after losing to Birmingham in the Carling Cup but they will be boosted by seeing Manchester United beaten.

However, defeat by Chelsea was only Ferguson's second in the Premier League all season and Manchester United are still in a strong position.

SANGUINE

But if they were to go to Liverpool and drop more points, then I would say that Ferguson has a big problem. There is some karma at work for that game.

Rooney didn't get the red he deserved against Wigan and was available to play against Chelsea but Vidic is now ruled out for Liverpool after his red card. Swings and roundabouts.

If only Ferguson could take a more sanguine view of the world.

The best team always wins the title and he should know by now that he gains nothing from blowing so much hot air other than to make himself look foolish.

STREET FIGHTER

Barney

God Johnny Giles hates "Ferguson" (note very rarely uses his full name) more than he hates United.

A bitter little man - the RTE analysts lost all credibility for constantly lambasting Ronaldo. Grumpy old men.

As for United it amazes me how they have stayed ahead for so long and things do appear to be catching up now. Midfield is a disaster and every away game is a potential defeat. Arsenal's run in means they may not be able to avoid falling over the finish line as winners

Clown

spotted Rooneys dive, it was about a minute before his goal

if the ref had stopped and booked him he probably wouldnt have scored if you want to argue about every single little decision!

time to move on

J OGorman

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 03, 2011, 09:49:01 AM

That is a blatant dive

Im no Rooney or Man U fan, but that was NOT a dive. Rooney's left leg catches Terry's left shin knocking it against his own right leg causing him to trip up.. definitely NOT a dive

Dinny Breen

Rooney didn't dive but it the current EPL the penalty at end was as clear cut as they come.
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

You gotta love the way Unied gets under so many peoples skins :D.

Most right minded people would agree that United got a huge break on Saturday but that Chelsea got any luck that was going on Tuesdsy night but here we are two days after incident with otherwise sensible people producing lists of Uniteds "indiscretions" the other night. Rooney dive, ffs he tripped over either the defenders feet or his own, a nothing incident. I could go on but I won't

That's football fans I suppose....

magpie seanie

Quote from: J OGorman on March 03, 2011, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 03, 2011, 09:49:01 AM

That is a blatant dive

Im no Rooney or Man U fan, but that was NOT a dive. Rooney's left leg catches Terry's left shin knocking it against his own right leg causing him to trip up.. definitely NOT a dive

Exactly. If it happened outside the box it would be a free 99 times out of 100. Anyone who calls it a dive is actually visually impaired.

ross4life

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 03, 2011, 10:49:38 AM
Rooney didn't dive but it the current EPL the penalty at end was as clear cut as they come.

As clear cut as one of those Chamakh gets.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Declan

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Surprise suprise fergie charged by the FA. if Saint Martin doesn't ref another United game then it's success for fergie.