Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Quote from: illdecide on May 01, 2023, 11:53:12 PM
Do any of u know when the tickets are released for the game?.

It's looking like the clubs are getting first call on them in Derry. Some are in the process of asking members to request them.
So might only be limited amount on general release.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JoG2

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 11:25:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2023, 11:14:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2023, 09:19:12 PM
Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 01, 2023, 08:30:22 PM
The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

Putting my doubts aside Ill go Derry by 2.

14 scores to 12, not that impressive.
2 of the goals were fortunate, one a mis hit shot that dropped short.
Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

You do realise that it's 3 points for a goal and it doesn't matter how they are scored. A goal from a high ball is still a goal and Derry have struggled badly defensively conceding 8 goals in their last 3 matches. Armagh will test them much more than Fermanagh and Monaghan defensively.

It's no exaggeration to say that Dublin could have scored 7 or 8 against them in the League final and for me Derry haven't improved since last year. I don't think Armagh have either though based on what we've seen to date this season and neither side are AI contenders imo. It will be close and there is no real form guide or recent history between the sides but both sides will be confident and I'd expect it to go down to the wire.

Derry haven't improved from last year??

Jesus a blind man can see the improvement! That's not to say we'll
win Ulster but to say we haven't improved is ridiculous. We got out of Div 2 this year have beaten the Dubs and massively upped our scoring average so I'd say that's a fair improvement.

Improvement from year to year is all you can ask. I don't think we're winning an All Ireland this year but after 2 years of Div 1 and Sam Maguire competition I expect us to win another!

It's all a matter of opinion but in looking better offensively Derry have also looked more vulnerable defensively. Whether that constitutes improvement or not is open to opinion but in their biggest test to date in Croke Park against the Dubs they were cut apart. In their defence they were missing McKaigue and Glass went off injured but it ended up a one sided affair.

I'm not sure why Derry fans are taking such umbrage at people questioning their credentials. Let's wait and see at the end of the season though when this improvement will be easier to measure. If Derry get to an AI final or show signs of progression against a Kerry, Dublin or Galway in the knock out stages I'll have to change my opinion.

Not taking umbridge, just curious re Armagh fans confidence. Derry, current Ulster champions and promoted into Div 1, Armagh's credentials, relegated and this same group of players being talked up haven't had a sniff of Ulster...

In the match itself, going on the last 2 years, head says Derry, heart says, anything can happen on the day.

Armagh18

Don't see to many Armagh fans being overly confident, think we've a great chance and it's a 50/50 game will just come down to who turns up on the day and fine margins.

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on May 02, 2023, 09:50:58 AM
Not taking umbridge, just curious re Armagh fans confidence. Derry, current Ulster champions and promoted into Div 1, Armagh's credentials, relegated and this same group of players being talked up haven't had a sniff of Ulster...

In the match itself, going on the last 2 years, head says Derry, heart says, anything can happen on the day.

If I was Derry, I would take it easy and keep some gas in the tank for the round robin and the inevitable quarter and semi finals.
Dublin will probably do the same in Leinster. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mackers

Quote from: JoG2 on May 02, 2023, 09:50:58 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 11:25:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2023, 11:14:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2023, 09:19:12 PM
Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 01, 2023, 08:30:22 PM
The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

Putting my doubts aside Ill go Derry by 2.

14 scores to 12, not that impressive.
2 of the goals were fortunate, one a mis hit shot that dropped short.
Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

You do realise that it's 3 points for a goal and it doesn't matter how they are scored. A goal from a high ball is still a goal and Derry have struggled badly defensively conceding 8 goals in their last 3 matches. Armagh will test them much more than Fermanagh and Monaghan defensively.

It's no exaggeration to say that Dublin could have scored 7 or 8 against them in the League final and for me Derry haven't improved since last year. I don't think Armagh have either though based on what we've seen to date this season and neither side are AI contenders imo. It will be close and there is no real form guide or recent history between the sides but both sides will be confident and I'd expect it to go down to the wire.

Derry haven't improved from last year??

Jesus a blind man can see the improvement! That's not to say we'll
win Ulster but to say we haven't improved is ridiculous. We got out of Div 2 this year have beaten the Dubs and massively upped our scoring average so I'd say that's a fair improvement.

Improvement from year to year is all you can ask. I don't think we're winning an All Ireland this year but after 2 years of Div 1 and Sam Maguire competition I expect us to win another!

It's all a matter of opinion but in looking better offensively Derry have also looked more vulnerable defensively. Whether that constitutes improvement or not is open to opinion but in their biggest test to date in Croke Park against the Dubs they were cut apart. In their defence they were missing McKaigue and Glass went off injured but it ended up a one sided affair.

I'm not sure why Derry fans are taking such umbrage at people questioning their credentials. Let's wait and see at the end of the season though when this improvement will be easier to measure. If Derry get to an AI final or show signs of progression against a Kerry, Dublin or Galway in the knock out stages I'll have to change my opinion.

We competed well with the best teams in Ireland throughout the league.  Arrogance in abundance from both sets of posters here. Normally pre-match banter. Nothing more. Derry rightfully favourites.  Armagh have the better attack but Derry the better midfield and defence.  I think Armagh's chances hinge on the fitness of Andrew Murnin (never a good place to be!). 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

screenexile

There you go no advantage to losing the Ulster Final full steam ahead for Clones next week!

bennydorano

Quote from: screenexile on May 02, 2023, 01:17:19 PM
There you go no advantage to losing the Ulster Final full steam ahead for Clones next week!
Most definitely not. Added impetus.

Walter Cronc

Some difference in Galway Tyrone and Clare Mongahan

Armagh18

Extra motivation, not that it's needed. Group games won't be do or die anyway given 3 teams go through.

Walter Cronc

So how does quarters draw work then? What happens after these groups if 12 teams through?

tonto1888

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 02, 2023, 01:24:13 PM
So how does quarters draw work then? What happens after these groups if 12 teams through?

prelim quarter finals
2v3 from each group

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 02, 2023, 01:26:16 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 02, 2023, 01:24:13 PM

prelim quarter finals
2v3 from each group

Ah ffs. Needa win your group then!

Armagh18

Do 2nd from group 1 play 3rd from group 2 etc or will there be another draw?

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on May 02, 2023, 01:17:19 PM

The winners group seems a bit easier. It's also going to be important to win the group as you get a weeks rest and then home advantage for the quarter final. Hard enough to even qualify from a group with Galway and tyrone.

Estimator

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 02, 2023, 01:43:15 PM
Do 2nd from group 1 play 3rd from group 2 etc or will there be another draw?

From the GAA website.. so no actual information on that

All-Ireland SFC knock-out stage

The four preliminary quarter-finals will consist of the second placed teams being at home to third place teams, subject to avoiding of repeat provincial final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round One.
Ulster League Champions 2009