Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I'd be very surprised if Armagh beat Derry tbh. Derry a very good team and jury still out for me with Armagh. Hoping for a tight game but that was a very accomplished performance by Derry. Armagh need goals to win this however Derry have leaked a few so you never know. Hard to say with Armagh as it's division three teams they beat. Derry made Monaghan look pretty average.

Interesting game as they haven't played each other much.

Wildweasel74

Don't even know why am commenting. Derry beat Armagh, maybe easier than people think. Not worried about high ball into full bck. Now they know it's Coming at them. Couldn't see much Armagh built up play yesterday which was strange. Derry to me have issues at corner forwards, both can defend well but don't seem to have the speed to get up the scoring zone quickly on the break. Mcfaul has to start the final. Plus some lad tell Bradley the Honeymoon over, we need him bck for the round Robin(Know he talked about a Yr out, plenty time for that in a few yrs time) . I think Jack Doherty form for Glen this year showed Gallagher made a mistake giving him barely any league game time last year. We could done with him there off the bench at least. Anyway I think an All-Ireland beyond any Ulster team this year, so this final the only show in town.

Estimator

Last C'Ship meeting
Armagh 0-17 Derry 0-15
Scorers for Derry: Shane McGuigan 0-7 (7fs), Niall Loughlin 0-4 (3fs), Ethan Doherty 0-1, Ciaran McFaul 0-1, Patrick Kearney 0-1, Chrissy McKaigue 0-1

Scorers for Armagh: Rian O'Neill 0-4 (4fs), Rory Grugan 0-3 (1f), Jamie Clarke 0-3, Aidan Forker 0-2, Oisin O'Neill 0-2, Conor O'Neill 0-1, Mark Shields 0-1, Jarlath Og Burns 0-1.

DERRY: Odhran Lynch, Paul McNeill, Brendan Rogers, Carlus McWilliams, Ethan Doherty, Chrissy McKaigue, Padraig McGrogan, Ciaran McFaul, Conor Glass, Danny Tallon, Enda Lynn, Padraig Cassidy, Emmett Bradley, Shane McGuigan, Niall Loughlin. Subs: Patrick Kearney for D Tallon (46), Oisin McWilliams for P McNeill (60), Paul Cassidy for E Lynn (64), Alex Doherty for P Cassidy (69)

ARMAGH: Blaine Hughes, Paddy Burns, Ryan Kennedy, James Morgan, Conor O'Neill, Aidan Forker, Mark Shiels, Oisin O'Neill, Stephen Sheridan, Rory Grugan, Greg McCabe, Stefan Campbell, Jamie Clarke, Rian O'Neill, Jarlath Og Burns . Subs: Niall Grimley for G McCabe (52), Callum McCumiskey for S Sheridan (63)

Plenty from both teams played in the last C'Ship encounter.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Armagh18

Defence and forwards I'd give us a slight edge but could be argued either way, Derry have stronger midfield though and how we cope with Glass will be key, especially given our weakness on our own and opposition kick outs. We'll need at least one goal to win it.

jmcgdoire

The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

Putting my doubts aside Ill go Derry by 2.

5times5times

Wonder if Gallagher will continue his antics along the line when seeing the 3x Kierans/Ciarans next door??  ;D ;D

general_lee

Quote from: Estimator on May 01, 2023, 07:44:51 PM
Plenty from both teams played in the last C'Ship encounter.
8 from that 2020 Armagh starting lineup didn't play at the weekend. It's a 50/50 game, Id have Derry as slight favourites though. It's imperative for this Armagh squad though that they get a championship.

tbrick18

Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 01, 2023, 08:30:22 PM
The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

14 scores to 12, not that impressive.
2 of the goals were fortunate, one a mis hit shot that dropped short.
Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 01, 2023, 04:47:08 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2023, 04:32:56 PM
Just hope we give a good account of ourselves, a bad beating leading into the round robin wouldn't be ideal
Yerra.

;D Armagh have better forwards, better defenders, there's men queuing up with the ability to nullify McGuigan, Glass etc, it's all in here!

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2023, 09:19:12 PM

Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

Fascinating post.
14 scores t0 12...not that impressive...Game was over 5 minutes into 2nd half.
2 of the goals were fortunate....a tactic Armagh used from minute 1  libg ball in, it only worked 4 times!!
Missing U20's...Down were physically not up to it to a man.. very much doubt u20's would have made adifference in that regard.

"Haven't seen anything from Armagh... " How many times have you seen them play 70minutes this year?

Where does this" overly physical " stuff come from?

Which tactics were too much for the Dubs in the league  final.

Derry may well beat us in the Ulster Final  but this myth of Gallagher the master tactician is wearing a bit thin.

Galway embarrassed Derry in Croke Park last year and the League Final showed nothing to suggest that any lessons were taken on board from that.

Steps

The most important question is will Derry be wearing all red? They are listed first, does this make a difference? Do both teams have to wear away. Down obviously red but less of a clash with black

Wildweasel74

Gallagher plays with what he has, if he had the 2 Bradley's of old in the corners am sure he vary tactics enough. Derry still don't have enough for, Galway, ir, Kerry or Dublin for that matter but neither too Dublin. Armagh 18, I wouldn't pick 1 Armagh defender in the Derry team, forwards another matter, plenty good ones to pick from. Way I look at it, one team plays very tactical, the other bit free spirited but I expect them to match Derry formation for the final. Kildare showed at the wkend, games don't go as expected.

Mario

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on May 01, 2023, 09:48:08 PM

But I could be wrong.

Fascinating post.
14 scores t0 12...not that impressive...Game was over 5 minutes into 2nd half.
2 of the goals were fortunate....a tactic Armagh used from minute 1  libg ball in, it only worked 4 times!!
Missing U20's...Down were physically not up to it to a man.. very much doubt u20's would have made adifference in that regard.

"Haven't seen anything from Armagh... " How many times have you seen them play 70minutes this year?

Where does this" overly physical " stuff come from?

Which tactics were too much for the Dubs in the league  final.

Derry may well beat us in the Ulster Final  but this myth of Gallagher the master tactician is wearing a bit thin.

Galway embarrassed Derry in Croke Park last year and the League Final showed nothing to suggest that any lessons were taken on board from that.
He has taken Derry from D3 to D1, to an AI semi final and on the brink of back to back ulsters. He's the best manager in the game. Half the teams in the country are copying his tactics. What has mcgeeney done in 9 years? Took you from D3 to D2.

I wouldn't read too much into the league final, promotion was achieved and we were understrength and players had been on holiday in the lead up. We beat Dublin when it mattered. Galway was a step too far last year but we are a better team this year.

I agree it's not all Gallagher though, Derry also have some very good players, which often gets overlooked by the media.

yellowcard

But I could be wrong.

You do realise that it's 3 points for a goal and it doesn't matter how they are scored. A goal from a high ball is still a goal and Derry have struggled badly defensively conceding 8 goals in their last 3 matches. Armagh will test them much more than Fermanagh and Monaghan defensively.

It's no exaggeration to say that Dublin could have scored 7 or 8 against them in the League final and for me Derry haven't improved since last year. I don't think Armagh have either though based on what we've seen to date this season and neither side are AI contenders imo. It will be close and there is no real form guide or recent history between the sides but both sides will be confident and I'd expect it to go down to the wire.

Orior

Quote from: Steps on May 01, 2023, 10:06:12 PM
The most important question is will Derry be wearing all red? They are listed first, does this make a difference? Do both teams have to wear away. Down obviously red but less of a clash with black

Welcome to GAA Board Steps - great first post.

Let Derry go with their traditional, Armagh in all black and the ref in sky blue.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians