LGFA

Started by Truth hurts, March 21, 2023, 10:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 21, 2023, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 21, 2023, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 21, 2023, 12:43:50 PM
The more likely this becomes the more I'm thinking the GAA needs a bloody big "pre nup" as part of the merger.

Let's call a spade a spade. This would not be a partnership of equals. One organisation brings all the grounds and premises, the long-standing  tradition of volunteerism, the sponsorship, the media, the political influence, and the majority of players. The other organisations bring a minority of players.

The current hierarchy whereby men's football and hurling are pegged above their female counterparts in terms of importance is owed most significantly to the ownership of grounds. Currently one sport can call the tune ahead of the others. The other sports then set their schedules in and around what's left.

For everyone's sanity it has to stay that way. When the availability of facilities cannot keep up with demand, absolutely no good can come from an equal balance of power.

Equality yes. Egalitarianism, no. That's not going to work.

Yes the "Men's GAA" bring the infrastructure and why wouldn't they, they've had a 130 or 40 year head start. The LGFA and Camogie will bring a lot of things. I know in my own local club where it is basically run as one, the Ladies bring a whole different dimension to fundraising, coaching, and lots more.
The ladies are afraid it will be a take over. I think we take our time and get it right for all parties. One thing is for sure we could learn a lot from them, even in how their All Ireland competitions are run, with Senior, Intermediate and Junior all Irelands.

A gripe I have with the LGFA is that there are too many competitions. Last year in Down there were 9 championships played for at senior level.

Could never understand that concept last year. I thought it completely devalued the main championships. Down LGFA at times seems to focus on participation over competition at senior/intermediate/junior level. Having three grades in each sector simply does not make sense. In the Intermediate Championship last year, if you lost the Intermediate A semi final you went straight into the Intermediate B final. Ludicrous.

Truth hurts

I heard a story in a club in Armagh that LGFA reps are high up on executive committee and changed senior footballers training slots to much rows :)

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2023, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2023, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: dec on March 21, 2023, 12:51:19 PM
Are there any stand alone camogie or ladies football clubs? Any teams that I am aware of are part of GAA clubs.

I can think of 2 or 3 close to me.

With their own pitch?

1 has their own pitch.

trailer

Lots of examples and voices here show why it is important to take our time and get it right for all involved including the Men.

Captain Scarlet

In Camogie and LGFA there a lot of people involved who are doing their best and are let off, but who are often sidelined in the GAA. The GAA is not 100% but the LGFA and Camogie seem to shoot themselves in both feet regularly.

Look at things like massive county games taking place the same day. The Cavan LGFA now at war with their players too. But, as I said the GAA get the bad press no matter so they may as well plough in and get those organisations running better.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on March 22, 2023, 11:30:16 AM
Look at things like massive county games taking place the same day. The Cavan LGFA now at war with their players too. But, as I said the GAA get the bad press no matter so they may as well plough in and get those organisations running better.

There is no reason why the LGFA have to have the same season as the men's game. They could have club games in April-June and have their All Ireland in September, thereby getting more attention both locally and nationally.
They had games on St Patricks day and were on TG4, and that was the type of offset that can help exposure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on March 22, 2023, 09:17:56 AM
Are there any stand alone camogie or ladies football clubs? Any teams that I am aware of are part of GAA clubs.

With their own pitch?

1 has their own pitch.

What team is this Itchy?

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on March 22, 2023, 03:06:25 PM

With their own pitch?

1 has their own pitch.

What team is this Itchy?

Not in Cavan. But if you look in Mayo for example you'll see Kilmoremoy in Ballina with their own ground.

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2023, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on March 22, 2023, 11:30:16 AM

There is no reason why the LGFA have to have the same season as the men's game. They could have club games in April-June and have their All Ireland in September, thereby getting more attention both locally and nationally.
They had games on St Patricks day and were on TG4, and that was the type of offset that can help exposure.

No reason why Men's GAA have to have the same season as the LGFA
Look at Dionegal. Possibly worst run county atm.

Cuts both ways. Poor administration isn't confined to the Ladies.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on March 22, 2023, 06:57:04 PM

With their own pitch?

1 has their own pitch.

What team is this Itchy?

Not in Cavan. But if you look in Mayo for example you'll see Kilmoremoy in Ballina with their own ground.

Never knew you lived in Mayo.

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 23, 2023, 08:15:33 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 22, 2023, 06:57:04 PM

With their own pitch?

1 has their own pitch.

What team is this Itchy?

Never knew you lived in Mayo.

I don't, but work there occasionally. I was also wondering about Cora Stauntons club cornacon. Not sure have they their own ground? They are a club on their own too.

Truth hurts

Armagh ladies have invested a lot into Killean but i know see a big push to get St Michaels Killean back up and running. That might cause conflict down the road.

ck

Has the GPA not got a set of procedures that all county teams need to adhere to with regard to expenses? Or do LGFA operate outside of these?

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on March 23, 2023, 11:51:25 AM
Has the GPA not got a set of procedures that all county teams need to adhere to with regard to expenses? Or do LGFA operate outside of these?

I know GPA and the GAA signed a deal in relation to expensses but I'm not sure if the LGFA ever agreed any deal with the GPA in relation to expenses