Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It is very unusual for someone from Tipperary to hide behind Limerick's stats. Tipperary hurling people used to be proudly independent.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The podcast is quite interesting even if it is partisan.

marty34

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 24, 2023, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 24, 2023, 09:26:01 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 23, 2023, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 23, 2023, 03:09:53 PM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 09:19:43 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 08:59:16 AM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 08:41:15 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 04:58:01 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 04:09:23 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 03:01:13 PM
How is it a closed shop if Kerry win the Joe Mc and get into the Munster Championship based on results?

Are you saying they should be parachuted over other Joe McDonagh level teams purely because they are based in Munster?

As regards weaker counties developing hurling

Kilkenny for  all the bad press with regards to them and football

they still have 30 plus of their clubs playing football

Where are the equivalent counties that would be strong in football and have 30 of their clubs  playing hurling?

The fact is,there isn't

They are the only county in Munster not playing in it.

Westmeath and Antrim are in the Leinster championship. Are you saying to me that Kerry wouldn't give them a good game?

You do know how the Joe McDonagh competition works ?

Are you saying they should get promoted to the Liam McCarthy over every other county in the Joe Mc  purely on the fact that they are based in Munster ?

Yeah, I am saying that. They're the only team in Munster not playing in Munster. I'd may an exception.

Seems like the big boys want to keep a closed shop - for all the grá of hurling in Munster, it's a clear case of hurling snobbery at its finest.

By the way, if you're so excerised over the the Joe Mc Donagh, are you saying the winners and runners up should qualify instead of the 4th placed teams in Leinster and Munster?

such absolute drivel

Firstly you didn't know that if Kerry won the Joe Mc Donagh, they would be in the Munster Championship

Then you wanted Kerry taken out of the Joe McDonagh and put in Munster regardless even thought they aren't good enough to win it at the minute and over the heads of all the other teams competing in the Joe McDonagh

Now its a grand conspiracy by the Hurling Elite to keep hurling down

Liam Griffin had a motion before congress that every Gaa club would have a hurling team up to u9/11

Everyone of your downtrodden northern counties voted against it

how about you start there with your "closed shop" bull shit

You are probably fully aware that barring Antrim all the other northern counties are footballing dominated and the county boards reflect that in their decision making.

Liams motion was well intended but impractical and what I'd prefer that Croke park insist that there's certain days of the week/month set aside for hurling only.

Go games blitzes be organised within the county and kids who want to hurl but are from a football only play for amalgamations organised by the counties GDO's.

Kids will play anything if given the chance, but far too many CB's and clubs make kids decide on one or the other. Let's allocate slots so that this isn't the case.

Dublin used to do this, probably still do where each alternate Saturday morning is rotated between hurling and football. More counties need to adopt this approach.

so its now Footballs fault

and here we were being told it was the "Hurling Elite" keeping hurling down

Liam Griffins proposal was impractical and yet you are suggesting weeks or god help us Months being set aside for Hurling when there's not enough teams in those counties to play hurling in the first instance

You grow hurling from the ground up and you grow with kids of u9,introducing the game to kids of 12 and older is nearly a waste of time

if they dont have the basics by 8/9/10

you are at nothing

As I say, such a positive attitude to the young GAA lad/lassies all over Ireland.

Stay in the B team as you're rubbish at picking the ball at 9 years old.

As a matter of fact, don't come back as you're no good.

I hope you're not coaching U9's or U10's.

Great attitude.

And you are an awful eejit to even type all that

Ger Loughnane who would know a thing more about Hurling than you has often stated that you need to have the basics by the time you are 6 or 7

That the difference between the strong hurling counties and the weak

In the Strong the Hurley is an extension of a young lads arm

in the weak its a 2 hours a week training session at best

Holy Cow - quoting Loughnane in 2023!

Now you're saying if you don't have the basics by 6 or 7...instead of 9 or 10.

Whatever you say Coach.

This just shows you up for how little you actually know when it comes to Hurling

Anyone that knows anything about Hurling would know the quicker you get a hurley into a young lads hand and then the more often they practice, the more proficient they will get

that holds true in 2023 the same as it did in 2003 or 1993

As for looking down your nose at Ger Loughnane

You and your county would be delighted with yourselves if you achieved a tenth of what he achieved

Says the coach who discards any kid who can't pick the ball up by 6 or 7.

Wise up.

Christ your some fool

Point out exactly where i said that

You clearly dont have a clue about Hurling but are arrogant enough to display your ignorance on here

This is your quote:

You grow hurling from the ground up and you grow with kids of u9,introducing the game to kids of 12 and older is nearly a waste of time

if they dont have the basics by 8/9/10

you are at nothing

You are at nothing - such a statement.  Then you bring Loughnane into it using a younger age group.  FFS. A few posters pulled you up on it.

Good debate on another thread about the merits of Go Games and competitive blitzes etc.  You should read it - differing opinions on how to develop young players.

You might learn a thing or two.

seafoid

It may not be worth winning Leinster this year because the winners will probably get Limerick in the semi final.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 24, 2023, 08:22:34 PM
It may not be worth winning Leinster this year because the winners will probably get Limerick in the semi final.

On current form (if they get over Cork) then I'd say both Galway and KK wouldn't mind that. Kinnerk and Kiely have a bit of work to do this week.

If Cork get over Limerick their confidence will be coming out their ears and they'll have an AI in the bag according to their supporters, sure Leinster is shíte.
;)

Jeepers Creepers

Camera panned around to the sideline and you could see the blind panic in Kinnerks face in the closing minutes of that Tipp game. It'll only take one of those 'underperforming' limerick stars to have a good game to pull them through, saying that Cork have surprised me this year so far so will be a cracking game.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 25, 2023, 09:24:26 AM
Camera panned around to the sideline and you could see the blind panic in Kinnerks face in the closing minutes of that Tipp game. It'll only take one of those 'underperforming' limerick stars to have a good game to pull them through, saying that Cork have surprised me this year so far so will be a cracking game.

Not sure Cork have done anything great yet.

Clare had 5 or 6 points on them 20 minutes into the second half and proceeded to hit 3 or 4 really bad wides, inexplicable wides, Kelly was missing frees as well, but I suppose they showed a bit of resilience which is new to them, but Clare should have had 8 to 9 points on them by the finish line.
Maybe Clare got a bit of whiteline fever, who knows.

Anyone else think Horgan is done? He's lost that bit of pace and is even more reliant than ever on really good ball in, or taking the ball from the runners carrying it in.
He never could win his own ball.

mouview

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 25, 2023, 09:24:26 AM

Wonder why if true though? Limerick weren't out even if they lost, they would still have to beat Cork regardless. Which I think they will do. Cork can't seem to settle on a properly-firing forward division and have played only in fits and starts v Tipp and Clare to date. Just don't think they have it in them to get a result on Sunday.

ClubScene13

Cork need to build around Ben Cunningham when he progresses. Proven free taker for St Finbarr's and Cork U20's, and a big strapping lad. Their biggest problem the last few years has been forwards not winning their own ball, and not working hard enough. Get this lad in and build around him with the pace of Robbie O'Flynn and Shane Kingston. I expect Limerick to win comfortably enough this weekend, but there has been some decent signs this year for Cork going forward.

johnnycool

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 25, 2023, 10:31:38 AM
Cork need to build around Ben Cunningham when he progresses. Proven free taker for St Finbarr's and Cork U20's, and a big strapping lad. Their biggest problem the last few years has been forwards not winning their own ball, and not working hard enough. Get this lad in and build around him with the pace of Robbie O'Flynn and Shane Kingston. I expect Limerick to win comfortably enough this weekend, but there has been some decent signs this year for Cork going forward.

Still have a major hole to fill in the No3 jersey. I know they've pencilled in Eoin Downey for that, rangey like the brother and may come good over time but not this year for me.

marty34

I think Declan Dalton has progressed well this year. More involved in open play.  Could be the next leader in Cork's attack.

mouview

Is he not being lost to Munster rugby? Maybe someone else I'm thinking of....

Saffrongael

Quote from: mouview on May 25, 2023, 12:41:09 PM

Is he not being lost to Munster rugby? Maybe someone else I'm thinking of....

No that is Ben O'Connor
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

ClubScene13

Quote from: johnnycool on May 25, 2023, 11:49:25 AM

Still have a major hole to fill in the No3 jersey. I know they've pencilled in Eoin Downey for that, rangey like the brother and may come good over time but not this year for me.

I agree with you, looking at the physique of Eoin Downey I always found it very optimistic to pencil him in. Young lad yet so time on his side. Ben O'Connor to Munster rugby a disaster for them but what do you do.

marty34

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 25, 2023, 01:14:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 25, 2023, 11:49:25 AM

I agree with you, looking at the physique of Eoin Downey I always found it very optimistic to pencil him in. Young lad yet so time on his side. Ben O'Connor to Munster rugby a disaster for them but what do you do.

Maybe do an Alan Tynan and come back in in a year or two.