seafoid

Quote from: clonadmad on May 23, 2023, 08:21:33 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 07:56:56 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 06:01:42 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 04:58:01 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 04:09:23 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 03:01:13 PM
How is it a closed shop if Kerry win the Joe Mc and get into the Munster Championship based on results?

Are you saying they should be parachuted over other Joe McDonagh level teams purely because they are based in Munster?

As regards weaker counties developing hurling

Kilkenny for  all the bad press with regards to them and football

they still have 30 plus of their clubs playing football

Where are the equivalent counties that would be strong in football and have 30 of their clubs  playing hurling?

The fact is,there isn't

They are the only county in Munster not playing in it.

Westmeath and Antrim are in the Leinster championship. Are you saying to me that Kerry wouldn't give them a good game?

You do know how the Joe McDonagh competition works ?

Are you saying they should get promoted to the Liam McCarthy over every other county in the Joe Mc  purely on the fact that they are based in Munster ?

Yeah, I am saying that. They're the only team in Munster not playing in Munster. I'd may an exception.

Seems like the big boys want to keep a closed shop - for all the grá of hurling in Munster, it's a clear case of hurling snobbery at its finest.

By the way, if you're so excerised over the the Joe Mc Donagh, are you saying the winners and runners up should qualify instead of the 4th placed teams in Leinster and Munster?

so Kerry should be taken out of the joe McDonagh and put in the Liam McCarthy competition over all the other Joe McDonagh teams

If Kerry are good enough they will win the Joe Mc at some point and enter the Munster championship
Kerry have fewer hurling clubs than other counties at the same level. The hurling footprint would be similar to Down's. It limits how much progress they can make.

How many hurling clubs are there in Down?

How many clubs are there in Kerry?
https://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/wexford-county-library/reading-room/sports-recreation/sport/present-hurling-region.jpg
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Premierview Podcast

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 08:59:16 AM
Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 08:41:15 AM
How is it a closed shop if Kerry win the Joe Mc and get into the Munster Championship based on results?

Are you saying they should be parachuted over other Joe McDonagh level teams purely because they are based in Munster?

Where are the equivalent counties that would be strong in football and have 30 of their clubs  playing hurling?

The fact is,there isn't

Westmeath and Antrim are in the Leinster championship. Are you saying to me that Kerry wouldn't give them a good game?

Are you saying they should get promoted to the Liam McCarthy over every other county in the Joe Mc  purely on the fact that they are based in Munster ?

Yeah, I am saying that. They're the only team in Munster not playing in Munster. I'd may an exception.

Seems like the big boys want to keep a closed shop - for all the grá of hurling in Munster, it's a clear case of hurling snobbery at its finest.

By the way, if you're so excerised over the the Joe Mc Donagh, are you saying the winners and runners up should qualify instead of the 4th placed teams in Leinster and Munster?

such absolute drivel

Firstly you didn't know that if Kerry won the Joe Mc Donagh, they would be in the Munster Championship

Then you wanted Kerry taken out of the Joe McDonagh and put in Munster regardless even thought they aren't good enough to win it at the minute and over the heads of all the other teams competing in the Joe McDonagh

Now its a grand conspiracy by the Hurling Elite to keep hurling down

Liam Griffin had a motion before congress that every Gaa club would have a hurling team up to u9/11

Everyone of your downtrodden northern counties voted against it

how about you start there with your "closed shop" bull shit

You are probably fully aware that barring Antrim all the other northern counties are footballing dominated and the county boards reflect that in their decision making.

Liams motion was well intended but impractical and what I'd prefer that Croke park insist that there's certain days of the week/month set aside for hurling only.

Go games blitzes be organised within the county and kids who want to hurl but are from a football only play for amalgamations organised by the counties GDO's.

Kids will play anything if given the chance, but far too many CB's and clubs make kids decide on one or the other. Let's allocate slots so that this isn't the case.

Dublin used to do this, probably still do where each alternate Saturday morning is rotated between hurling and football. More counties need to adopt this approach.

so its now Footballs fault

and here we were being told it was the "Hurling Elite" keeping hurling down

Liam Griffins proposal was impractical and yet you are suggesting weeks or god help us Months being set aside for Hurling when there's not enough teams in those counties to play hurling in the first instance

You grow hurling from the ground up and you grow with kids of u9,introducing the game to kids of 12 and older is nearly a waste of time

if they dont have the basics by 8/9/10

you are at nothing

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 09:19:43 AM

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

Firstly you didn't know that if Kerry won the Joe Mc Donagh, they would be in the Munster Championship

Then you wanted Kerry taken out of the Joe McDonagh and put in Munster regardless even thought they aren't good enough to win it at the minute and over the heads of all the other teams competing in the Joe McDonagh

Liam Griffin had a motion before congress that every Gaa club would have a hurling team up to u9/11

You are probably fully aware that barring Antrim all the other northern counties are footballing dominated and the county boards reflect that in their decision making.

Liams motion was well intended but impractical and what I'd prefer that Croke park insist that there's certain days of the week/month set aside for hurling only.

Go games blitzes be organised within the county and kids who want to hurl but are from a football only play for amalgamations organised by the counties GDO's.

Kids will play anything if given the chance, but far too many CB's and clubs make kids decide on one or the other. Let's allocate slots so that this isn't the case.

Dublin used to do this, probably still do where each alternate Saturday morning is rotated between hurling and football. More counties need to adopt this approach.

Liam Griffins proposal was impractical and yet you are suggesting weeks or god help us Months being set aside for Hurling when there's not enough teams in those counties to play hurling in the first instance

You grow hurling from the ground up and you grow with kids of u9,introducing the game to kids of 12 and older is nearly a waste of time

you are at nothing

Someone better tell you about a Seán Óg Ó hAilpín then  ;)

Nah, I'd agree with you on that but my point is to develop hurling in football orientated counties you need a will within that county board to free up dedicated slots to hurling, a saturday morning where a go games blitz can be organised within the county but there's no point if clubs are off pushing football at the same time.

Lets not force kids to pick one over the other is all I'm looking for.

seafoid

The Munster championship is fascinating because the standard is shared by the 4 teams,. Limerick have fallen back since last year.

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 12:11:33 PM
The Munster championship is fascinating because the standard is shared by the 4 teams,. Limerick have fallen back since last year.

Limerick are still odds on to win the All Ireland and unless Cork beat them Sunday

I can't see any other outcome

Them coming third in Munster might actually help them even further

Saffrongael

Quote from: clonadmad on May 23, 2023, 01:21:59 PM

Limerick are still odds on to win the All Ireland and unless Cork beat them Sunday

They are now 11/8, they were about 1/2 after the league
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

clonadmad

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 23, 2023, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 23, 2023, 01:21:59 PM

They are now 11/8, they were about 1/2 after the league

A dramatic shift since I looked at it with Powers before the weekend

Still the out and out favourites

Tipps odds halved to second favourites at 4/1

marty34

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

Ok Donal Óg, thanks for the arrogance.

My point is Kerry should be in the Munster championship. They are the only team in Munster not playing in it. You state why they should be there over other teams - why would the Leinster teams/and or Down play in Leinster. That's just not practical.

We have Waterford who have played about 16 games and have won only 1 of them yet they'll still be there next year.  Yet in Leinster a team drops out.  As I said, the elite don't want to promote hurling it's a closed shop.

I thunk you made reference about KK and the football they play but you never answered have they a NFL team.  You don't know anything about KK football. There's definately not  41 football clubs in KK. I'd say they'll be finishing their championships up about now to get ready for the serious business of hurling.

Again you asked for two counties that have clubs playing both - I gave you Cork and Clare.

Nice touch saying  'downtrodden' northern teams - I reckon you're a west brit who's peeved of at the success of SF in the recent election going by your previous comments. Downtrodden is a nice choice of word.  Partitionist mentality is hanging out of you.

Can you gve me a breakdown of the vote of Griffin's motion?
What were the votes for and against?

Regardless, it was a silly motion as if the GAA could start to make clubs play hurling. You really believe that motion would cure hurling?

My suggestion is that regional clubs are the way to go in football counties.  Slowly but surely young ones playing hurling are increasing in various counties which is great for themselves and secondly for the game.

As I say no demotion from Munster - the best competition the GAA has and you say it's not a closed shop?

You need to be more positive in promoting hurling than talking down to people - lose the anger and be more positive.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2023, 05:06:42 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Munster is a fine championship but there's no jeopardy in it.  relegation no matter how bad you are, that is pretty difficult to change and the obvious way would be to give Kerry if thNoey're runners up in the Joe McDonagh a crack at it.
Bottom team in Munster vrs Kerry who'd obviously go straight into Munster if they win the Joe McDonagh outright...

Come to think of it, any way you cut it, it would be a mess..

Open draw anyone?

;D

For those of an older disposition will know that once a long long time ago Galway played in the Munster championship, but felt they weren't getting a fair crack at it and left.

That's the positive way to look at it Johnny.

seafoid

Galway hurling was in a bad way from the mid 50s until the early 70s. The Republic Of Ireland soccer team went through a similar experience during some of that time and didn't win a match for several years. Galway had an awful time in Munster. They probably wouldn't have been Joe McDonagh standard at the time.

marty34

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

you are at nothing

As I say, such a positive attitude to the young GAA lad/lassies all over Ireland.

Stay in the B team as you're rubbish at picking the ball at 9 years old.

As a matter of fact, don't come back as you're no good.

I hope you're not coaching U9's or U10's.

Great attitude.

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 03:08:22 PM
Galway hurling was in a bad way from the mid 50s until the early 70s. The Republic Of Ireland soccer team went through a similar experience during some of that time and didn't win a match for several years. Galway had an awful time in Munster. They probably wouldn't have been Joe McDonagh standard at the time.

Galway still massively under performing at senior level in relation to their juvenile success.

seafoid

Quote from: NAG1 on May 23, 2023, 03:10:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 03:08:22 PM

Galway still massively under performing at senior level in relation to their juvenile success.
So has everyone since 2017.
The context is very different for Galway compared to the 60s.

The Premierview Podcast

Quote from: marty34 on May 23, 2023, 03:09:53 PM

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

you are at nothing

As I say, such a positive attitude to the young GAA lad/lassies all over Ireland.

Stay in the B team as you're rubbish at picking the ball at 9 years old.

As a matter of fact, don't come back as you're no good.

I hope you're not coaching U9's or U10's.

Great attitude.

And you are an awful eejit to even type all that

Ger Loughnane who would know a thing more about Hurling than you has often stated that you need to have the basics by the time you are 6 or 7

That the difference between the strong hurling counties and the weak

In the Strong the Hurley is an extension of a young lads arm

in the weak its a 2 hours a week training session at best

Saffrongael

You can still play it and enjoy it & dare I say thrive at it. You might not be Joe Canning but there aren't too many of those about
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come