The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There will be a massive smear campaign against labour and starmer which will crank up in the not that distant future. They are far from gone yet.

yellowcard

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 19, 2023, 11:12:01 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 19, 2023, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 10:08:19 PM
It's decision time now for Donaldson and the DUP. I can't see the leadership of the party publicly supporting the WF which could then leave them in an even more perilous position. At every juncture they have managed to make things even worse for themselves as they are petrified of being lundified. I think Peter Robinson is one of the few in the party who has a strategic brain and will recognise the opportunity that the WF offers to unionists. But he is only one of 8 people and the threat of the TUV/LCC/OO axis looms large over any decision to be made.

Decision time would suggest that Donaldson has options.
If he has 3 options then he has 3.
If he has 2 options then he has 2.
If he has 1 option then he has no option.

He will reject the WF, and say that he is passing the problem back to Rishi. He will then tell his electorate that Rishi has messed up and Rishi has to find a solution.

Looking like no Stormont for 2 or 3 years.

Conservative Party is the most successful party in World Politics for a reason.. They will string this out and then next year when they're out of gov it will be a Labour problem. This is when Labour will probably f**k up and do something that'll threaten the union and there the conservatives slogan will be run on in the 2028 election to save the Union and our Country vote Tory. They've already started with going after refugees, they know they lost 2024 so it's all about getting back asap

Two reasons for that and neither has much to do with their political acumen. The voting system itself and a right wing media press interconnected to the Tory political class who control and manipulate public opinion. 

tyrone08

Will have to be joint authority now surely as an election won't change anything and there won't be any more negotiations with the EU.

NAG1

Another own goal, genuinely must take a serious effort to be on the wrong side of everything constantly.

No more negotiations to be had, the Gov't going to force it through regardless.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2023, 01:54:37 PM
Another own goal, genuinely must take a serious effort to be on the wrong side of everything constantly.

Touch of arrogance from Mr Donaldson, expecting Sunak and the EU to re-open the talks just to appease him and his ever decreasing cabal.

What now for the Assembly, Is it Joint authority with major inputs from the Irish Tánaiste?

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 20, 2023, 01:46:36 PM
Will have to be joint authority now surely as an election won't change anything and there won't be any more negotiations with the EU.

This 100%.
Joint authority, otherwise the last 55 years has been a waste of time.

AustinPowers

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2023, 02:00:13 PM

Touch of arrogance from Mr Donaldson, expecting Sunak and the EU to re-open the talks just to appease him and his ever decreasing cabal.

What now for the Assembly, Is it Joint authority with major inputs from the Irish Tánaiste?

Well , I'm in need  of some rubble for  a laneway so I'm hoping  they knock down Stormont

Only  thing is , I could no longer complain about  Stormont  never having done anything for me

johnnycool

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 20, 2023, 02:11:07 PM

Well , I'm in need  of some rubble for  a laneway so I'm hoping  they knock down Stormont

Only  thing is , I could no longer complain about  Stormont  never having done anything for me

I've heard some of the road crews sell off the old tarmac they've lifted up. You can buy it, get it levelled and roll the shíte out of it in the hot weather and it's meant to be the dogs danglies for a laneway.

Knocking down the home of the famed Dublin hurler is a bit much for your lane all the same.

yellowcard

Abolish all MLAs salary immediately. If they fail to go back into government then Stormont is effectively finished. After that politicians here will have no control over our own affairs. It will be some form of joint authority although it mightn't be worded as such.

I still think Donaldson is too fearful of the consequences of not going back into Stormont and that they will find some form of workaround. It does show the folly of painting himself into a corner in pulling down Stormont to begin with though.

johnnycool

Quote from: yellowcard on March 20, 2023, 02:17:02 PM

Abolish all MLAs salary immediately. If they fail to go back into government then Stormont is effectively finished. After that politicians here will have no control over our own affairs. It will be some form of joint authority although it mightn't be worded as such.

I still think Donaldson is too fearful of the consequences of not going back into Stormont and that they will find some form of workaround. It does show the folly of painting himself into a corner in pulling down Stormont to begin with though.

Yes, I'd pull the MLA's salaries as a starting point and then set a date for late summer for re-elections.

imtommygunn

Is there no way they can just pull the DUP MLA salaries?

To your point about Donaldson and arrogance Donaldson is arrogance personified. Even the look of him is arrogant.

As many would say if the UK government ploughs on then what have they achieved here. They have basically proved or made here unworkable.

marty34

Can't see the uk government going back to the eu or the eu even encountering any change either.

Last chance saloon.

Eire90

would joint authority not  mean a loyalist return to war.

screenexile

Quote from: Eire90 on March 20, 2023, 04:21:16 PM
would joint authority not  mean a loyalist return to war.

They'll go clean mad but they've only themselves to blame!