Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: LC on September 16, 2023, 01:38:58 PMDid a bit of reading over holidays so realise it would be a good habit to get into again.  Was thinking of getting an Amazon Kindle but I see you can get an Amazon Fire for similar money which seems to be similar to an ipad plus will also act as a Kindle.  No big expert on tech stuff so just wondering why is the Kindle on its own (16GB) is similar money even though it only does one thing.

The kindle itself uses a different screen technology to more closely mimic reading a real book, it is not backlit so you can't read in the dark.

The Kindle Fire is or used to be limited in the software and apps you could load.

bennydorano

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 04, 2023, 09:54:08 AMDoes anyone have any experience of using Virgin Media for Broadband?
They recently installed fibre lines in our area and I'm looking at alternative providers so thought they might be worth a try.
I've had free broadband for a few years through my employer but I've since moved jobs and the cost of my current package seems pricey in comparison to what else is out there now (and my speed is only 60M ish).

Advice?
I had their cable broadband before my current 2 year contract with Vodafone. It was 100% performance wise, moved because of end of 2 year pricing deal. Still have an ugly cable wiring & box on the front of my house tho, cabled right up through my lawn too.

JoG2

Quote from: LeoMc on December 04, 2023, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: LC on September 16, 2023, 01:38:58 PMDid a bit of reading over holidays so realise it would be a good habit to get into again.  Was thinking of getting an Amazon Kindle but I see you can get an Amazon Fire for similar money which seems to be similar to an ipad plus will also act as a Kindle.  No big expert on tech stuff so just wondering why is the Kindle on its own (16GB) is similar money even though it only does one thing.

The kindle itself uses a different screen technology to more closely mimic reading a real book, it is not backlit so you can't read in the dark.

The Kindle Fire is or used to be limited in the software and apps you could load.

My kindle is back lit. They're a great job

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on December 04, 2023, 11:27:08 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on December 04, 2023, 11:04:57 AM

My kindle is back lit. They're a great job

I've got a kindle paperwhite, back lit and deadly job.

tbrick18

Quote from: bennydorano on December 04, 2023, 11:15:59 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on December 04, 2023, 09:54:08 AMDoes anyone have any experience of using Virgin Media for Broadband?
They recently installed fibre lines in our area and I'm looking at alternative providers so thought they might be worth a try.
I've had free broadband for a few years through my employer but I've since moved jobs and the cost of my current package seems pricey in comparison to what else is out there now (and my speed is only 60M ish).

Advice?
I had their cable broadband before my current 2 year contract with Vodafone. It was 100% performance wise, moved because of end of 2 year pricing deal. Still have an ugly cable wiring & box on the front of my house tho, cabled right up through my lawn too.

Customer service ok?
That's a good point about the cabling, I hadnt even considered that. How much control do you have over where they run the cabling? I've a tarmac driveway they'd probably have to come through followed by a concrete path.

bennydorano

I remember being miffed about the lawn but they're looking the easiest/most direct option to connect, the lawn was better than ripping up my driveway.

Never spoke with a company person in the 2 years I was with them, so no idea about the customer service. The broadband was good tho, was a major jump in price coming after the 2 year deal, so I changed providers.

Square Ball

Been with Virgin for 20 years and had few issues. Always renegotiate my contract and it's went up £2 a month over the last 4 years. Small front garden and the cable comes up the side of fence and can't see it.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid