Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on February 22, 2022, 01:27:57 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2022, 12:53:19 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 22, 2022, 12:17:38 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2022, 10:50:35 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 21, 2022, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2022, 09:31:24 PM
Would Putin be satisfied with the 2 Separatist regions? They make up 4% of the land area and 10% of the population.
By recognising them as autonomous Countries he gives himself the pretext of being able to move troops in but he then loses the leverage he had been hoping from the earlier agreements as he no longer has a pro-Russian element within the Ukraine borders.

Essentially makes what's left of Ukraine even more Ukrainian. Probably about as short sighted as Larne and Ballymena declaring independence
That is my simplistic view on it as well. As per the above comparison I would tend to let them have Larne and Ballymena. Just don't let them take the Glens along with them.

Give them the whole of Newtownabbey as well and close all the junctions on the M2.

Meanwhile, in Ukraine, Putin now have moved his tanks into the breakaway areas. This is a click on the ratchet, will he try and keep on going or will he bank that for now and come again some other time.
It makes no sense for Putin to stop at the occupied DNR/LNR and Crimea.

Why would he stop there? Ukraine still exists. Ukraine is what he wants gone.

Neither will it make any sense for him to stop at Ukraine. Once you're in, you're all in.

Putin has already talked about the borders of the imperial Russian empire. That means he has his sights on the Baltic countries and Poland.

And shure why stop there, you're all in then, Russia used to occupy part of Germany, why not get that back too?

Hitlers are like sharks, they cannot stop.

If the west ever defeats Russia again, the country needs to be forcibly broken up.

The only thing that protects our freedom in the west is hard power. The last eight years have been a salutary lesson in that.

And tragically, we will probably need to use that hard power if we want to keep that freedom.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying

But if there's one thing that hasn't worked out well historically, it's western powers taking over countries and arbitrarily placing borders within them to suit their own ends
I'd much prefer if it was the west imposing arbitrary borders on a genocidal Russia than a genocidal Russia imposing arbitrary borders on other European countries.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/a8041651-3cb9-47f0-893f-b86f40069baf

There's no reason for Moscow to just go into the [separatist territories]. It only makes sense if they go further," said Tatiana Stanovaya, founder of political consultancy R. Politik. "In Putin's logic he needs to take a significant part of Ukraine."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2022, 05:55:07 PM
Quote from: Franko on February 22, 2022, 01:27:57 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2022, 12:53:19 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 22, 2022, 12:17:38 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2022, 10:50:35 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 21, 2022, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2022, 09:31:24 PM
Would Putin be satisfied with the 2 Separatist regions? They make up 4% of the land area and 10% of the population.
By recognising them as autonomous Countries he gives himself the pretext of being able to move troops in but he then loses the leverage he had been hoping from the earlier agreements as he no longer has a pro-Russian element within the Ukraine borders.

Essentially makes what's left of Ukraine even more Ukrainian. Probably about as short sighted as Larne and Ballymena declaring independence
That is my simplistic view on it as well. As per the above comparison I would tend to let them have Larne and Ballymena. Just don't let them take the Glens along with them.

Give them the whole of Newtownabbey as well and close all the junctions on the M2.

Meanwhile, in Ukraine, Putin now have moved his tanks into the breakaway areas. This is a click on the ratchet, will he try and keep on going or will he bank that for now and come again some other time.
It makes no sense for Putin to stop at the occupied DNR/LNR and Crimea.

Why would he stop there? Ukraine still exists. Ukraine is what he wants gone.

Neither will it make any sense for him to stop at Ukraine. Once you're in, you're all in.

Putin has already talked about the borders of the imperial Russian empire. That means he has his sights on the Baltic countries and Poland.

And shure why stop there, you're all in then, Russia used to occupy part of Germany, why not get that back too?

Hitlers are like sharks, they cannot stop.

If the west ever defeats Russia again, the country needs to be forcibly broken up.

The only thing that protects our freedom in the west is hard power. The last eight years have been a salutary lesson in that.

And tragically, we will probably need to use that hard power if we want to keep that freedom.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying

But if there's one thing that hasn't worked out well historically, it's western powers taking over countries and arbitrarily placing borders within them to suit their own ends
I'd much prefer if it was the west imposing arbitrary borders on a genocidal Russia than a genocidal Russia imposing arbitrary borders on other European countries.

As would I.

My point still stands.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/23/boris-johnson-downing-street-party-covid-pmqs-ukraine-truss/The Conservative Party will not return Russia-linked donations as they are properly declared, Liz Truss has said.

mouview

Jell 0 Biafra

Actually, his die hards tend to like Putin.  The whole Russiagate media thing caused a bit of a realignment in attitudes to Putin/Russia among Republicans.

tyrone08

Going to sound like a crack pot here but I seriously think that either trump or Boris (or both) are Russian agents. Donald has lots of ties to Russia while i remember reading an article a few years ago on how Boris always seem to be protected and be at the right place at the right time. It gave a good few examples going back even before his supposed role as journalist.

imtommygunn

It would make more sense than them being "real" people and sadly that's not a joke because the mind does boggle on the pair of them. They are dreadful individuals and I didn't think I would ever say this I don't think Trump is as bad as Johnson.

johnnycool

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 23, 2022, 01:32:21 PM
Going to sound like a crack pot here but I seriously think that either trump or Boris (or both) are Russian agents. Donald has lots of ties to Russia while i remember reading an article a few years ago on how Boris always seem to be protected and be at the right place at the right time. It gave a good few examples going back even before his supposed role as journalist.

Tory party have received over £2M over the last number of years from Russian donors/oligarchs with links to Putin (don't think you can be an oligarch unless Putin says so or you end up in a bad/dead way) with Boris attending bunga bunga parties in Russian Billionaires houses in Italy as foreign secretary..

They're well compromised as can be seen by their feeble sanctions yesterday.

imtommygunn

Truss's interview on BBC breakfast with Dan Walker was hilarious. Here is a picture of you with a russian donor and here are her ties - cue a large list.

sid waddell

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 23, 2022, 01:32:21 PM
Russian assets, not Russian agents. Russia looks for narcissistic gobshites with "larger than life" personalities who it can skilfully help to manipulate and amplify.

They will be presented as "outsiders".

Preferably they will have money problems.

Dominic Cummings, Mick Wallace and George Galloway are definitely Russian assets too.

I'd nearly go further than that with Nigel Farage and Arron Banks.

When the Putin puppet and mass murderer Viktor Yanukovych was president of Ukraine, his main "political technologist" (as they call them in Russia) was Paul Manafort, he of Black, Manafort and Stone, aka "the Torturers' Lobby." Stone is Roger Stone.

Yanukovych fled Ukraine for Russia in 2014 after he turned his firing squad on the peaceful protestors on the Maidan and was impeached 328-0 by the Ukrainian parliament.

Two years later Manafort pitched up as Trump's campaign manager.

Russia has hopelessly compromised the west.

This moment has to change everything. If it doesn't, there will no longer be a west as we understand it.

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 23, 2022, 02:16:50 PM
It would make more sense than them being "real" people and sadly that's not a joke because the mind does boggle on the pair of them. They are dreadful individuals and I didn't think I would ever say this I don't think Trump is as bad as Johnson.

Wouldn't agree. Both men are ignorant, selfish, egotistical, mendacious and totally amoral. However, I think BJ is more of a puppet, with no vision or strategy other than his own personal promotion, largely kept in place by an agenda-driven right-wing press, ERG Brexiteer fanatics and coterie of ordinary Tories who hold their noses and give him their tacit support because he wins them elections. When his use is past or irreparably damaged they will ditch him without compunction. And in fairness to most *English* people, in spite of being conned by Brexit, they have enough sense to see him for what he is.

Trump is a genuinely dangerous man, borderline paranoiac and seeking to pervert democracy because it suits him. He's moving beyond being a politician and towards a cult leader, who has unleashed mankind's basest instincts (hatred, violence, racism) among his sycophantic followers. The GOP, like the Tories, should be utterly ashamed of themselves for propping him up. That he's favourite to become POTUS in 2024 is very scary. I couldn't see British people standing for him were he in the UK.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/a28527e4-ba33-4d14-975b-33eaa45f6626

Vladimir Putin's chief of staff and his defence minister have been blacklisted by the EU as part of the bloc's first round of sanctions against Russia for its renewed aggression against Ukraine.

Margarita Simonyan, editor-in-chief of RT, the Kremlin-funded English language TV channel that broadcasts outside Russia, is on the sanctions list for having "promoted a positive attitude to . . . the actions of separatists in Donbas