Help with Irish Passport Pics in US

Started by Jell 0 Biafra, February 04, 2022, 08:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Has anyone any recs on places in NYC/Long Island  to get digital photos for Irish passport renewals?   Lots of places (all the major drugstore chains) will give you physical photos, but not the digital versions.  And nowadays you now need digital to renew your passport  (from here at any rate).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rois

Can you not just take it yourself? I am not sure why it would be different for the US.

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/onlinephotoguidelines/

armaghniac

When I renewed 3 years ago I just took my own photo. Is that still an option?
I've had limited use of my new passport.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Rois on February 04, 2022, 08:45:10 PM
Can you not just take it yourself? I am not sure why it would be different for the US.

We took our own for our baby last year and they accepted them.

Rois

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 04, 2022, 08:55:23 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 04, 2022, 08:45:10 PM

We took our own for our baby last year and they accepted them.
Exactly the same for us, albeit in the north. Some craic trying to get a pic, we laid her in the bath to get a white background.

red hander

I just got mate to take pic on my mobile at work against white background when I renewed couple of years back. Accepted online by passport office no problem.

Jell 0 Biafra

Yeah, you can take your own.  Every one I've taken has been rejected though, shadows and whatnot, so I guess I'm just a shit photographer!

armaghniac

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 04, 2022, 11:29:31 PM
Yeah, you can take your own.  Every one I've taken has been rejected though, shadows and whatnot, so I guess I'm just a shit photographer!

Side lighting alone doesn't work. You need some light behind the camera, I think I used a flash to infill the light although it was daylight.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jell 0 Biafra

Tubberman

Quote from: red hander on February 04, 2022, 09:21:51 PM
I just got mate to take pic on my mobile at work against white background when I renewed couple of years back. Accepted online by passport office no problem.

Same as that. Renewed mine and had new passport through the letterbox the next day, within 24 hours, couldn't believe it!
First application for daughter is another story though, estimated to take 40 working days which will be too late for our holiday and rebooking will cost us 2k 😞
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

gallsman

Just take a decent neutral photo, don't try and turn it into a passport photo with software. If you have a clean shot of the face, it's virtually impossible for it not to work.

That said, the Passport Service have said they've been having problems with online services on and off for about 10 days.

gawa316

Have to renew the old passport and been to a few places like Walgreens and CVS but they only do physical pics.

So I just take a pic with my phone and that will work (obviously if it meets the guidelines)? I don't need to use an app or anything like that?

Armagh18

Quote from: gawa316 on January 23, 2023, 05:29:02 PM
Have to renew the old passport and been to a few places like Walgreens and CVS but they only do physical pics.

So I just take a pic with my phone and that will work (obviously if it meets the guidelines)? I don't need to use an app or anything like that?
Yeah should work fine. Just make sure no shadow or anything across the face.

Gabriel_Hurl

should be fine - I used a phone pic for my son's Irish passport application and it went through no bother.

gallsman

Do the application on your phone. Can take the photo there and then from within the application. The application process automatically resizes the photo etc.