Overcarrying

Started by Cavan19, January 07, 2022, 09:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

As the attacker, as long as you don't hesitate you usually get away with a lot more steps. The minute you show any hesitation the ref will blow you up. Also if you are 'riding' a tackle you can get away with 10 steps a lot of the time.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2022, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 12:59:49 PM
Craziest overcarring decision of last year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuFl_8DiWc

The goal keeper over carrying? I counted first few carry's were fine, he over carried the ball the later and was called on it

At no stage does the Goalkeeper go over the 4 steps or even hold the ball and stand still! There isn't even an exaggerated hop!
Referee was looking to punish Dublin for  playing the possession game.

nrico2006

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 03:35:57 PM

The goal keeper over carrying? I counted first few carry's were fine, he over carried the ball the later and was called on it

At no stage does the Goalkeeper go over the 4 steps or even hold the ball and stand still! There isn't even an exaggerated hop!

Seen a lot worse than Comerfords, was definitely more than 4 steps but was after riding a tackle so should have been allowed to continue.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 07, 2022, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 03:35:57 PM

Seen a lot worse than Comerfords, was definitely more than 4 steps but was after riding a tackle so should have been allowed to continue.

But riding a tackle does not constitute extra steps! There used to be that but if the tackle was a foul the ref should raise his hand for advantage.

And the keeper in video clearly took more than four steps, this is where we as supporters look at incidents and view it differently. Think how hard it is for ref's!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDpW80WUk4

Sean O Sheas goal, about 8 steps, but Conor Meyler takes the biscuit from 1.22 , about 12 or 13

Also frees from the hand, players generally steal 5 meters, which reduces shot length &/  or angle. Never punished. Could referees use foam similar to soccer referees.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Rudi on March 06, 2023, 01:17:24 PM

Sean O Sheas goal, about 8 steps, but Conor Meyler takes the biscuit from 1.22 , about 12 or 13

Also frees from the hand, players generally steal 5 meters, which reduces shot length &/  or angle. Never punished. Could referees use foam similar to soccer referees.
Meyler seemed to take about 8 steps in that bit no? He lays it off to Harte who hits the top of the post. The scoreboard rolls over to 2 points. Then the ref overruled the umpires and the score is disallowed. Has there been any clarification on why that was disallowed?

square_ball

Players seems to get away with 3 or 4 extra steps if they are about to take a shot for a goal or so it seems to be in any league game I've seen this year. O'Shea in that goal above and O'Donoghue v Kerry the 2 that spring to mind.

The Meyler one was so blatantly obvious though. He got 14 steps with one bounce. Not sure what the referee was doing on that one.

The foam is a good idea but then people will give out we're copying the soccer again  ::)

clawaddy

Referees seem to let overcarrying go unless it is very obvious. I would be in favour of the foam marker for frees. Players start their run up  from the spot and in many cases the free is reduced to a tap over free.

From the Bunker

I used to get be strict in training with the young lads with steps. It was really frustrating in games seeing other teams take the piss with steps. I now tell them in training to take 6 in open play and 8 bursting through the tackle. They get away with it every time, unless they hesitate. I've seen lads hesitate on 4 steps and get pulled for over-carrying. 

JimStynes

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 06, 2023, 02:34:28 PM
I used to get be strict in training with the young lads with steps. It was really frustrating in games seeing other teams take the piss with steps. I now tell them in training to take 6 in open play and 8 bursting through the tackle. They get away with it every time, unless they hesitate. I've seen lads hesitate on 4 steps and get pulled for over-carrying.

This is the most frustrating part! Sometimes lads are fine with the amount of steps but if they have a look of panic and are in trouble with men around them the ref often blows the whistle! Usually a bit of shouting and roaring from the supporters helps this too!

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 06, 2023, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: Rudi on March 06, 2023, 01:17:24 PM

Meyler seemed to take about 8 steps in that bit no? He lays it off to Harte who hits the top of the post. The scoreboard rolls over to 2 points. Then the ref overruled the umpires and the score is disallowed. Has there been any clarification on why that was disallowed?
Ball must go between the post, hitting the top is same as when ball goes over the post, a wide.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: JimStynes on March 06, 2023, 03:15:06 PM

This is the most frustrating part! Sometimes lads are fine with the amount of steps but if they have a look of panic and are in trouble with men around them the ref often blows the whistle! Usually a bit of shouting and roaring from the supporters helps this too!

Isn't the rule 4 steps, or the amount of time it would take to take 4 steps? So if you've taken 4, and then decide to stop and look around, that's still overcarrying.  Unless they changed that rule over the past few years?

Itchy

This is it exactly. If you take 3 steps and pause for a second before giving a handpass you get done. Last night the sunday game were showing Brendan Rodgers and his exciting runs, he was taking as many as 8 steps to break the line - totally illegal and yet complimented by the "experts".

Eamonnca1

As someone who started reffing hurling recently, I would find time easier to count than steps. When you're watching out for fouls you're watching the upper part of the players, not watching their feet.

trailer

Refs take this approach to steps... if it looks wrong it is wrong. Them blowing overcarrying has nothing to do with how many steps the player takes. Ask them after they blow the whistle how many does the player take and they couldn't tell you.