"Economic inactivity" in the north

Started by Eamonnca1, August 05, 2021, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you know at least one person from the north who doesn't work and doesn't have a good reason for it?

Yes, I know of at least one lazy hallion who doesn't work because it's a lifestyle choice
27 (65.9%)
Yes, but they all have a good reason for not working
0 (0%)
No, everyone I know of working age and physically capable of working is employed
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Rossfan

Looks like we'll have to press for a lot of people  to be  removed to GB in the reunification negotiations  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The North's economy never recovered from the combined effect of deindustrialisation and the Troubles. You can't take a 30 year opt-out from reality and expect things to sort themselves out afterwards. British rule was a disaster in both cases, for Rangers fans as well as Virgin Mary adherents. 

nrico2006

I know of people around where I live who chose not to work and yet have 2 new cars in their driveway and go on two holidays a year with the children. The people in question don't want work as their education/qualifications would lead them to only bring in marginally more than what they get currently for doing nothing. It should be a hardship if you don't work, not an easy ride. There are obviously many benefits available because as far as I know, the dole is only around 100 pound a fortnight (stand to be corrected), therefore if you were the recipient of this amount you surely would be motivated to get work. Madness that alcoholics get DLA  shouldn't happen. Also, am I right in saying that cancer patients don't get DLA? Madness if true. I remember a fella I worked with told me he was made redundant previously, but couldn't get any financial help as his wife worked. I remember how cross I was when my first child didn't get a nursery place as we were in the 4th category of 4 (late Birthday and both parents working). It was infuriating that the unemployed got preference over the employed, especially considering they were free to look after/educate their children yet we had to pay for that luxury.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dire Ear

Do any travellers work ?
Just asking a question,  and I won't be replying to abuse,  it's just a question

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 05, 2021, 12:21:23 PM
Do any travellers work ?
Just asking a question,  and I won't be replying to abuse,  it's just a question

Yes

tiempo

Do any travellers work ?

Saw a documentary once where one had a job, so yes.

Tubberman

Do any travellers work ?

One power washed my drive, so I suppose that counts.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

APM

To add to the above:

A lot of the economically inactive are actually working, but they are working in the black economy or in the cash economy.  Childminders, domestic cleaners etc.  Even hairdressers based at home etc. They mightn't be drawing any benefits as the husband/wife may be working full time, but they are doing this work cash-in-hand. 

A good number of the economically inactive will also be unfit for work as they might not be physically or mentally capable of work.  This mightn't be chronic illness, but could be mild depression, stress, back pain etc. Again, a partner may be working, so there may be no benefits involved.  There will be another cohort that are carers.

Economically inactive covers all manner of issues and it's wrong to generalise.  It's not just a case of people not being arsed working.  Some of them are working, some of them aren't fit to work and some of them are in education.

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2021, 12:10:07 PM
I know of people around where I live who chose not to work and yet have 2 new cars in their driveway and go on two holidays a year with the children. The people in question don't want work as their education/qualifications would lead them to only bring in marginally more than what they get currently for doing nothing. It should be a hardship if you don't work, not an easy ride. There are obviously many benefits available because as far as I know, the dole is only around 100 pound a fortnight (stand to be corrected), therefore if you were the recipient of this amount you surely would be motivated to get work. Madness that alcoholics get DLA  shouldn't happen. Also, am I right in saying that cancer patients don't get DLA? Madness if true. I remember a fella I worked with told me he was made redundant previously, but couldn't get any financial help as his wife worked. I remember how cross I was when my first child didn't get a nursery place as we were in the 4th category of 4 (late Birthday and both parents working). It was infuriating that the unemployed got preference over the employed, especially considering they were free to look after/educate their children yet we had to pay for that luxury.
It's the doors it opens / ancillary things that make a life on benefits a career, Free School Meals, free Dental care, help with Health Care costs not covered by NHS, Motability cars, Nursery & Primary School places, partners claiming Carers Allowance for each other.

Anyone can apply for DLA, working or not. Your mate likely made a balls of the A/F as that is an art in itself - with some ex Civil Servants having a lucrative by line in filling them in!

Milltown Row2

The system is flawed and needs a whole new look at it. How do you encourage someone to work when the benefits they get will pay more than the job they apply for?

Look at housing, on benefits you can get a free house, why would you want to get a job and lose the chance of getting a free house?

Schools, free dinners, why would you give up another free service if you have 4 kids at school

Cars, if entitled to getting a DLA car for your granny, who hasn't left the house in 20 years and you are the named driver that be another handy service you'd be giving up

Add in the DLA payments, the PIPS and then the dole, one parent family and credit thingy you'd be nuts to actually go out and work. One guy was telling me he'd need a job paying £60,000 a year to get what he gets but he's actually have to work for that and would miss the pub and bookies every day.

That being said I can't wait to pay for my own nursing home beside the guy that gets it for free and lose all my savings on it, that's the real clincher

Though to add to that, without the social services for the real people that need it this place would be in a worse position
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

weareros

Good article here on Economic Inactivity North and South pre-Covid. It's horrid high across the whole island, slightly worse in North.
https://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/economic-inactivity-all-island-problem

bennydorano

Tax avoidance by big businesses and the rich costs all exchequers across the world infinitely more that social welfare.

LeoMc

Quote from: bennydorano on August 05, 2021, 02:41:20 PM
Tax avoidance by big businesses and the rich costs all exchequers across the world infinitely more that social welfare.
Neither excuses the other.

Franko

Quote from: LeoMc on August 05, 2021, 03:08:24 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 05, 2021, 02:41:20 PM
Neither excuses the other.

Correct.

But it does direct you towards which one you should be following up on if you wanted to balance the books.