Leinster Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Rossfan, June 25, 2021, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 10:25:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 09:48:36 PM

But no other sport I know of tries to introduce competition by handicapping the best team...

No other sport heavily funds one of it richer members?

No other sport gives all important home games to to one of it's members?

The GAA is not like any other sport.

The IRFU fund Leinster more than their other franchises, so thats not even unique in Dublin.

Linfield used to play their derbies v Cliftonville at home plus cup finals, so not unique to Ireland.

Its the antithesis of sport to try and pull in a winning side by handicapping as opposed to raising your own game. Inter, Lille and the new Rangers didn't whine about Juve, PSG and Celtic winning with huge material advantages. They got on with it and got their rewards.

From the Bunker

But no other sport I know of tries to introduce competition by handicapping the best team...

Yes, but teams playing Dublin are severely handicapped by finances, home venue, etc.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 10:37:19 PM

Yes, but teams playing Dublin are severely handicapped by finances, home venue, etc.

Odd that the Dubs on Croke Park wasn't an issue when they were bad. Then it was simply a funding vehicle for your infrastructural improvements. This has always been the case yet Dublin have only achieved their potential properly recently. So there is more going on.

From the Bunker

I'm not totally in favour of the split idea. How do you deal with titles, Crests, Colours, venues. How do you deal with the split counties History?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 10:45:00 PM

Odd that the Dubs on Croke Park wasn't an issue when they were bad. Then it was simply a funding vehicle for your infrastructural improvements. This has always been the case yet Dublin have only achieved their potential properly recently. So there is more going on.

Ok, but there is an issue now!

You have difficulties with the organisation handicapping Dublin. But when the handicap works the other way - you see it as a sort of entitlement?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 10:31:28 PM

The IRFU fund Leinster more than their other franchises, so thats not even unique in Dublin.

Linfield used to play their derbies v Cliftonville at home plus cup finals, so not unique to Ireland.

Its the antithesis of sport to try and pull in a winning side by handicapping as opposed to raising your own game. Inter, Lille and the new Rangers didn't whine about Juve, PSG and Celtic winning with huge material advantages. They got on with it and got their rewards.

The IRFU don't.
#newbridgeornowhere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2021, 10:51:19 PM

The IRFU don't.

Of course they do. Do you think Connaught have the same wage bill as Leinster?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 10:51:13 PM

You have difficulties with the organisation handicapping Dublin. But when the handicap works the other way - you see it as a sort of entitlement?

I don't think Leitrim having less funding than Dublin is a handicap. Its the reality of a population of 32k versus 1.4m. Football was Dublin's 3rd sport, hurling 5th. A push in the capital was needed and you were perfectly happy to take cheques written on the Hill. Don't bother complaining that Dublin got organised and fulfilled their potential

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 11:00:35 PM

The IRFU don't.

I don't think you have a clue how IRFU funding works.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 11:04:19 PM

I don't think Leitrim having less funding than Dublin is a handicap. Its the reality of a population of 32k versus 1.4m. Football was Dublin's 3rd sport, hurling 5th. A push in the capital was needed and you were perfectly happy to take cheques written on the Hill. Don't bother complaining that Dublin got organised and fulfilled their potential

My argument is that every county that meets Dublin have the handicap of less funding and away matches. Why are the chasing bunch continuously handicapped?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2021, 11:07:21 PM

The IRFU don't.

So Connaught do have the same budget as Leinster?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 11:14:44 PM

My argument is that every county that meets Dublin have the handicap of less funding and away matches. Why are the chasing bunch continuously handicapped?

Less funding is new and the money goes to games development in a county generally disinterested in Gaelic games. Dublin are made play in Croker to fund the entire association. Your club has something paid for by the Dubs fans.

But regardless Lille overcame a far bigger material gap than Kildare faced today. It can be done.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 11:16:35 PM

The IRFU don't.

Connaught? Says it all.
#newbridgeornowhere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2021, 11:22:05 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 11:16:35 PM

The IRFU don't.

Connaught? Says it all.

Maith go leor. Connacht agus Laighan. An bhfuil an buiséad céanna acu?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2021, 11:19:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2021, 11:14:44 PM

Less funding is new and the money goes to games development in a county generally disinterested in Gaelic games. Dublin are made play in Croker to fund the entire association. Your club has something paid for by the Dubs fans.

But regardless Lille overcame a far bigger material gap than Kildare faced today. It can be done.

So you agree that there is a Handicap in place favouring Dublin football and you have no difficulty with Handicaps?