Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on March 11, 2023, 08:10:35 AM
Snapchap I think I have only agreed with you once. And this is it.

Thanks for going to the effort to set that out.

Likewise. Very well put Snapchat

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Snapchap on March 11, 2023, 07:54:18 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2023, 07:36:30 PM
It was a ludicrous comparison and makes light of what 1930s Germany was like. So because a country enforces its own borders its now synonymous with one of the most evil regimes in history. Ok.

Way to miss the point. Lineker didn't say that enforcing borders is naziism. He said the language being used by the Tories surrounding the issue is not dissimilar to the sort of language used in 1930s Germany and it takes a shocking level of ignorance to deny the accuracy of his point. As someone said on the radio the other day, Lineker didn't say the Tory's language was akin to "the tree" that was nazism, but that it is akin to the seed from which that tree grew.

And he was spot on. Consider:

1. The torys use of a specific portion of the population, in this case migrants, as the public's enemy that we need to be wary of.
2. Their dehumanising language about these migrants. Note how they only rarely even seem to even reference the migrants themselves, but have replaced the word "migrants" with "small boats". A collection of people no longer referenced as people/migrants, but instead only as "small boats". Can't go running the risk of reminding us that these small boats are overfilled with actual desperate human beings risking their lives, can they?
3. Braverman, the Home Secretary, used the phrase that Britain is facing an "invasion" of "illegitimate" asylum seekers. More de-humanising language.
4. Braverman also stated that those on the "small boats" are "rich enough" to pay to get onto them. "Rich". Not 'spending the only money they have to risk their lives in a potentially lethal journey'. No. They are apparently "rich".
5. Lee Anderson went and had his photo taken alongside a group of fascists and justified it by saying they're part of a wider group full of "good people".
6. Jacob Rees-Mogg spoke at a dinner organised by the fascist "pro-repatriation" group 'Traditional Britain Group', where he said Stephen Lawrence's mum should "go home".
7. Critics of their immoral and cruel and racist policies are widely attacked as being unpatriotic and out of step with "the vast majority of the British public" (Braverman). Another tactic straight out of 1930s Germany.
8. The largest newspaper in Britain, bought and paid for by the torys (just have a wee look at Boris' honours list) carried a cartoon depicting migrants as rats.
9. In an effort to show how upset they are at people comparing their language to that of 1930s Germany, they have decided to prove these critics wrong by, er, having them silenced.

Of course put that against a context of the last few years of tory rule, where they have gone after trade unions, teachers, trans rights, lawyers, clamped down on the right to protest, privacy etc etc etc, and where their most adored figure, the former Prime Minister Boris Johnston, felt comfortable enough to get away with racist language about a religious community (describing Islamophobia as "a normal response" among other well known racist comments) and surely it becomes impossible to deny the 1930s Germany parallels?

It didn't start with gas Chambers. It started with politicians dividing the people with "us vs them".

Fair play Snapchat. You've hit the nail on the head with that post. The Tories are a bit like the DUP who have been using the protocol as a smoke screen to not have to work under a SF FM. The tory party have made such a balls up of the past 13 years in government that they are using this as a way to distract people away from the real issues. This guy speaking on BBC Question Time (irony there somewhere) during the week has it spot on and people need to see through this Tory charade.

https://twitter.com/paulwalsh0/status/1634004410949947394

Snapchap

Thanks for the kind comments. Even the ones that came tied in with not too thinly veiled digs lol It was just an early morning rant!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Snapchap on March 11, 2023, 11:21:25 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. Even the ones that came tied in with not too thinly veiled digs lol It was just an early morning rant!

Very good.... It's ok to have varied views on multiple subjects and not always agree
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Absolutely bang on. For me I think the lineker thing is a conscious way to distract the public from what they are doing too. These tories are bad bad people.

Also I genuinely think the guy lee anderson is an absolute idiot and the only reason he is in the job that he is in is that the stories from him will distract from the stories about the government. There is only one bigger idiot in the government- jonathan gullis- and boy is he an idiot. If you were interviewing either of those two boys for a job in your company you would rule them out in minutes yet they are where they are.

RedHand88

Virtually no football coverage now across all platforms today now. What a c**k up by the BBC.

laoislad

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 11, 2023, 12:13:46 PM
Virtually no football coverage now across all platforms today now. What a c**k up by the BBC.
Man United fans wishing it happened last weekend  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

whitey

He's entitled to his opinion while at the same time accepting an annual salary of £1.2M from the government/taxpayer.

If I publicly criticized my employer in the manner he did I'd be fired by the end of the day

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2023, 12:35:19 PM
He's entitled to his opinion while at the same time accepting an annual salary of £1.2M from the government/taxpayer.

If I publicly criticized my employer in the manner he did I'd be fired by the end of the day

That is also true, and if your criticism is correct you'll have enough people supporting you.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

I like Gary Lineker but he isn't exactly irreplaceable. The rest of them are all pretty useless and certainly won't be missed. Gary will easily pick up work at another channel anyway if needs be.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 11, 2023, 12:44:35 PM
I like Gary Lineker but he isn't exactly irreplaceable. The rest of them are all pretty useless and certainly won't be missed. Gary will easily pick up work at another channel anyway if needs be.

Nobody is irreplaceable. RTE pay their presenters as if they are. Virgin Media don't, they pay their worth. Primarily because they are not subsidised by a Licence fee.

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2023, 12:37:12 PM

That is also true, and if your criticism is correct you'll have enough people supporting you.

Who gets to decide if it's a correct or incorrect opinion?

Is British public opinion on the side of the govt or on Linekers side as it pertains to the "small boat strategy"?

thebigfella

If I publicly criticized my employer in the manner he did I'd be  fired by the end of the day

What did he say about the BBC? I missed that bit.  ::) ::)

JoG2

Quote from: thebigfella on March 11, 2023, 01:12:49 PM

If I publicly criticized my employer in the manner he did I'd be  fired by the end of the day

What did he say about the BBC? I missed that bit.  ::) ::)

Alternative facts