Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2020, 10:13:36 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2020, 07:59:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2020, 07:40:21 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 09, 2020, 04:15:30 PM
Linehan suppports trans rights in a similar way to how Stephen Yaxley-Lennon supports rights for Muslims.
So what?

A lot of the trans agenda is dubious.
Calling trans activists Nazis probably comes from his personal experience. Perhaps he should have called them Zionists.

What is this trans agenda you speak of? Do trans people sit in a room and come up with agendas? And what about it is dubious?

The idea that biological facts are social constructs
The concept of the pregnant man
Hounding feminists

And do all these trans people get together and discuss what goes on this agenda? Do they have crossover meetings with the people who write the gay agenda? What about the feminists who support them, do they hound them also?

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2020, 10:58:23 PM
Linehan suppports trans rights in a similar way to how Stephen Yaxley-Lennon supports rights for Muslims.
So what?

Calling trans activists Nazis probably comes from his personal experience. Perhaps he should have called them Zionists.

What is this trans agenda you speak of? Do trans people sit in a room and come up with agendas? And what about it is dubious?

Hounding feminists

And do all these trans people get together and discuss what goes on this agenda? Do they have crossover meetings with the people who write the gay agenda? What about the feminists who support them, do they hound them also?

Dave Chappelle explains it quite well, they're all in the same car going to the same place but the gay man is driving  :)

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2020, 10:58:23 PM
So what?

Hounding feminists

Where do the memes come from?

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-kent-52471697

Freddy McConnell appealed against a decision made by a High Court judge that a person who carries and gives birth to a baby is legally a mother.

Mr McConnell, from Kent, wanted to be named father or parent on the document.

He said he was disappointed by the Court of Appeal ruling, adding that his fight was "just not over".

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Again, what do I appear to keep missing in these debates? Jk Rowling tweets something that appears innocuous & reasonable and Twitter wants her hung, drawn & quartered.  Left wing twitter is every bit as bad as right wing Twitter, only they think they're on the moral high ground every single time. They do love a pile on.

BennyCake

Protest at City Hall tomorrow 11am. Bring your broomstick.

J70

Quote from: bennydorano on June 08, 2020, 09:21:38 PM
Again, what do I appear to keep missing in these debates? Jk Rowling tweets something that appears innocuous & reasonable and Twitter wants her hung, drawn & quartered.  Left wing twitter is every bit as bad as right wing Twitter, only they think they're on the moral high ground every single time. They do love a pile on.

Looked to me to be a tweet begging for a reaction. The article wasn't even about transgender issues.

She got what she was looking for.

dec

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2020, 09:31:17 PM

Looked to me to be a tweet begging for a reaction. The article wasn't even about transgender issues.

She got what she was looking for.

It looked like a case of "she started it". She got offended by the phrase "People who menstruate" and decided to tweet about it knowing exactly what sort of reaction she would get..

gallsman

She didn't "get offended by it". She ridiculed the fact that we now live in a world where people are being asked to think twice about using the word "women" lest they offend a "woman" who is incapable of menstruation. Is that really that out there a notion?!

J70

Quote from: gallsman on June 08, 2020, 11:05:54 PM
She didn't "get offended by it". She ridiculed the fact that we now live in a world where people are being asked to think twice about using the word "women" lest they offend a "woman" who is incapable of menstruation. Is that really that out there a notion?!

If it is, it wasn't in the article.

There was one reference to include trans people and that was it.

You'd swear women and girls weren't mentioned the way she was going on.

She was looking for a twitter fight.

sid waddell

Left wing twitter is every bit as bad as right wing Twitter, only they think they're on the moral high ground every single time. They do love a pile on.
I suppose asking for trans people to be treated with respect is just as bad as denying the Holocaust, when you think about it.

sid waddell

I'm pretty sure women who can't menstruate are still women, and like to be called women. My mam's one, and she's definitely a woman.

gallsman

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:38:49 AM
I'm pretty sure women who can't menstruate are still women, and like to be called women. My mam's one, and she's definitely a woman.

Ah look, you've deliberately pretended not to know what I meant. How pathetically transparent.

bennydorano

Philip Pullman tweet.
Re J.K. Rowling: I can't understand anything about this quarrel, and the last time I asked about it I got shouted at by everyone, so I don't know why the hell I bother to try and make sense of it.

bennydorano

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:31:29 AM
Left wing twitter is every bit as bad as right wing Twitter, only they think they're on the moral high ground every single time. They do love a pile on.
I suppose asking for trans people to be treated with respect is just as bad as denying the Holocaust, when you think about it.
See that's the thing I've yet to read anything disrespectful, there's also the fact that Biological facts are actual facts.

Plenty of left wing gobshites are a bit all over the shop in their dealings with holocaust and Jews / Israelis in general there chief so maybe not as much of a left wing hill to die on as you think.

screenexile

I agree with that dude Pullman it's s complete minefield.

I think we can all agree that Trans people deserve to be treated with respect but where do you draw the line. The sport thing just doesn't sit well with me at all I cannot for the life of me see how it's fair for a trans woman to compete on a level playing field with cis woman.

Even having to call women cis women doesn't feel like it should be the case either.