Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2020, 01:27:44 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2020, 11:01:55 AM
Whoever runs the social media arm of The Body Shop will be looking for new employment today I imagine - or at least I would hope so

They call themselves "one of the most marginalised and vulnerable groups in society" but want to change the legal focus from sex to gender.
I wonder how it will pan out.
You think trans people are not one of the most marginalised and vulnerable groups in society?

I wonder who is more marginalised -  a billionaire author, or a group which experiences some of, if not the highest suicide rates in society - rates of attempted suicide among trans people vary from 32% to 50% by country. I'd be surprised if any other identifiable group of people experienced such rates.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

Taylor

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 12:25:27 PM
Whoever runs the social media arm of The Body Shop will be looking for new employment today I imagine - or at least I would hope so
Why? And why do you hope they lose their job?

Trying to throw Rowling under the bus just for publicity and sales

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2020, 02:01:51 PM

That's quite the take.

You sure you didn't mean to say Rowling was throwing trans people under the bus for publicity and sales?

Why should the person in charge of the Body Shop's social media account lose their job?

I thought proponents of this right-wing culture war claimed to be all about "free speech"? Of course proponents of the right-wing culture war are about anything but free speech. They're about cowing people into submission.

What expertise on this subject do Rowling or Linehan have, by the way?

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 01:55:53 PM

They call themselves "one of the most marginalised and vulnerable groups in society" but want to change the legal focus from sex to gender.
You think trans people are not one of the most marginalised and vulnerable groups in society?

I wonder who is more marginalised -  a billionaire author, or a group which experiences some of, if not the highest suicide rates in society - rates of attempted suicide among trans people vary from 32% to 50% by country. I'd be surprised if any other identifiable group of people experienced such rates.

Actual suicide rates are highest for poor middle-aged men. Itinerants live on average 15 years less than settled people.
Working class life expectancy is far lower than middle class.

A lot of people have difficult lives.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2020, 02:10:52 PM

Actual suicide rates are highest for poor middle-aged men. Itinerants live on average 15 years less than settled people.

Please provide some statistics that show poor, middle aged men have higher suicide attempt rates than trans people.

A lot of people have difficult lives, and I would say that there is scarcely a trans person who ever existed that hasn't had a difficult life.

Seems some here are content that their lives should be made as difficult as possible.

Taylor

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 02:09:35 PM

That's quite the take.

You sure you didn't mean to say Rowling was throwing trans people under the bus for publicity and sales?

Why should the person in charge of the Body Shop's social media account lose their job?

I thought proponents of this right-wing culture war claimed to be all about "free speech"? Of course proponents of the right-wing culture war are about anything but free speech. They're about cowing people into submission.

Probably similar to yourself Sid.

Right wing culture war - you dont half talk some shite Sid.
Any points you normally make get lost in the shite you include in your posts - IMHO

five points

Rowling and Linehan are both woke lefties actually.

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2020, 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 02:09:35 PM

That's quite the take.

Probably similar to yourself Sid.

Right wing culture war - you dont half talk some shite Sid.
Any points you normally make get lost in the shite you include in your posts - IMHO
If they have no expertise, why are they sticking their oar in on something they know sod all about?

I call what is going on a right-wing culture war because that's exactly what it is. Like, have you been asleep for the last five years as the reactionary war against any sort of progressive politics, expertise, fact or reason contaminates politics and the public sphere worldwide like a particularly malignant cancer?

Denigrating and ridiculing trans people is an integral part of the ongoing right-wing culture war.

Right-wing culture warriors shite on about stuff they know nothing about, then, when they face criticism for their stupid views, they laughably claim victimhood.

That's exactly what Rowling and Linehan have done. Self awareness: precisely zero.

bennydorano

Jesus Christ, an irony awareness indicator is required for this thread. Sid, you are guilty of everything you're accusing everyone else of.

Gabriel_Hurl

trueblue1234

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 11, 2020, 04:02:49 PM
Is sid Syferus?

I think Sid has more substance than Syferus ever had. Although both had the same confrontational technique and desire to get into a fight. Or as I said before acting like a c**k. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bennydorano

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 02:16:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 11, 2020, 02:10:52 PM

Please provide some statistics that show poor, middle aged men have higher suicide attempt rates than trans people.

A lot of people have difficult lives, and I would say that there is scarcely a trans person who ever existed that hasn't had a difficult life.

Seems some here are content that their lives should be made as difficult as possible.
Suicide attempts don't tend to be followed statistically AFAIK Sid. It's deeply personal.
There aren't many middle aged trans either. Certainly not as many as cis unemployed males who are middle aged. It's the same numberswise regarding  trans vs women. There are more women.
  The trans movement in its current form is fairly young.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2020, 03:58:23 PM
Jesus Christ, an irony awareness indicator is required for this thread. Sid, you are guilty of everything you're accusing everyone else of.
Really?

I thought it was just that I had a low tolerance for utter bullshit, but there you go.

sid waddell

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2020, 04:22:54 PM
Any wonder people ask wtf is going on when you remove the hyperbole and read what was actually written.

https://medium.com/@rebeccarc/j-k-rowling-and-the-trans-activists-a-story-in-screenshots-78e01dca68d
That isn't an argument.

Anybody can say that they "respect trans rights". It's a vacuous statement. It's empty rhetoric because it's entirely centred on that person's view that they cannot possibly be wrong in what they are saying and makes no attempt whatsoever to acknowledge the actual views of trans people. Rowling, like Linehan, has proved over and over that she really doesn't respect those rights. Cherry picking a vacuous tweet or two doesn't change that one iota.

I mean Donald Trump can claim that he's not a racist, that doesn't mean it's true, he clearly is one.

Online abuse, reprehensible as it is, is totally irrelevant to the validity of any argument Rowling is making.