Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2023, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 21, 2023, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2023, 01:07:53 PM
Imagine a 14 year old BOY getting a shoulder off a biological man.

Does that happen in organized GAA games much?

In smaller clubs you will get 14 year old boys who have a bad birthday playing Minors so yes that would happen.

But that's ok?

We're not worried about the physical disparity and risk of injury in those cases?

What about the early maturing and late maturing lads at underage in general?

I was a small 14 year old and didn't start to shoot up until I was into u-16. I came up against lads a foot taller and 3 stone heavier. Don't ever remember any pearl clutching over it.

I shot up and stopped while every **** got a foot taller !!!

I'm not sure how this can be properly regulated if I'm being honest, I really don't see there being that many, as for dressing rooms clubs will need to install unisex changing rooms, not uncommon and fits all purpuses
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2023, 03:10:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2023, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 21, 2023, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2023, 01:07:53 PM
Imagine a 14 year old BOY getting a shoulder off a biological man.

Does that happen in organized GAA games much?

In smaller clubs you will get 14 year old boys who have a bad birthday playing Minors so yes that would happen.

But that's ok?

We're not worried about the physical disparity and risk of injury in those cases?

What about the early maturing and late maturing lads at underage in general?

I was a small 14 year old and didn't start to shoot up until I was into u-16. I came up against lads a foot taller and 3 stone heavier. Don't ever remember any pearl clutching over it.

I shot up and stopped while every **** got a foot taller !!!

I'm not sure how this can be properly regulated if I'm being honest, I really don't see there being that many, as for dressing rooms clubs will need to install unisex changing rooms, not uncommon and fits all purpuses

Who is going to pay to build unisex changing rooms at clubs who only have two dressing rooms?

J70

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 21, 2023, 03:01:15 PM
It's a difficult topic. I can see issues from both sides. The only certain thing about it, is that it's going to be a real hot potato for organisations to try and manage delicately.

Its a very difficult topic.

And I don't know the answer.

But scaremongering about perverts and denying the existence or humanity of these people is not it.

Cavan19

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2023, 03:19:02 PM
It's a difficult topic. I can see issues from both sides. The only certain thing about it, is that it's going to be a real hot potato for organisations to try and manage delicately.

But scaremongering about perverts and denying the existence or humanity of these people is not it.

I wonder will we get many girls who identify as boys togging out for the local team we could be doing with them the numbers are low.

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on February 21, 2023, 02:41:15 PM
I don't understand why they have to colonise ladies gaelic football.
Why don't they have their own trans league ?

Colonise. Would you wise up

tonto1888

I fully agree with this. It will be difficult and while I support it I wouldn't be in favour of any person saying they're female and wanting to play ladies football

Cavan19

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 21, 2023, 03:27:46 PM

I fully agree with this. It will be difficult and while I support it I wouldn't be in favour of any person saying they're female and wanting to play ladies football

Why would you support it if you are not in favour of it?

tonto1888

Quote from: Cavan19 on February 21, 2023, 03:31:59 PM

I didn't say I wasn't in favour of it. I am not in favour of any guy rocking up and saying they're female in order to play. There has to be some checks and balances applied.

Cavan19

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 21, 2023, 03:33:35 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 21, 2023, 03:31:59 PM

I didn't say I wasn't in favour of it. I am not in favour of any guy rocking up and saying they're female in order to play. There has to be some checks and balances applied.

It really is madness the world is gone mad  ;D

johnnycool

There's more to it than just rocking up with a ponytail and saying you're a female and wanting a start on the ladies team but it's certainly a hot potato that the LGFA are trying to grasp for the right and wrong of it..

tonto1888

Quote from: johnnycool on February 21, 2023, 03:36:24 PM

There's more to it than just rocking up with a ponytail and saying you're a female and wanting a start on the ladies team but it's certainly a hot potato that the LGFA are trying to grasp for the right and wrong of it..

Oh I know that mate. It is a hot potato and as I've said previously, fair play to the LGFA

Cavan19

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 21, 2023, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 21, 2023, 03:36:24 PM

Oh I know that mate. It is a hot potato and as I've said previously, fair play to the LGFA

I wouldn't say that they pushed this through without discussing it with there members or even having a vote on it.

gallsman

For me, this is part of the issue. A lot of the discourse around the topic at the minute appears to focus on "transwomen are women and if you don't agree you're a transphobic bigot", as if it's a statement of fact. Owen Jones said JK Rowling is a transphobe so she's a transphobe etc. Shutting down any difference of opinion or insiting that not agreeing with it is deyning people their rights is also not it.

As far as I'm concerned you can disagree with that statement and still believe everyone has the right not to be discriminated against.

J70

Is that really ever going to happen though?

Especially in a parochial sport like Gaelic football or camogie?

Arriving at the clubhouse to register as a trans player would surely be an endpoint in a long, difficult, emotional process for any individual, not something that some person will just decide willy-nilly, especially among friends, relatives and neighbours.

J70

Quote from: gallsman on February 21, 2023, 03:47:59 PM

For me, this is part of the issue. A lot of the discourse around the topic at the minute appears to focus on "transwomen are women and if you don't agree you're a transphobic bigot", as if it's a statement of fact. Owen Jones said JK Rowling is a transphobe so she's a transphobe etc. Shutting down any difference of opinion or insiting that not agreeing with it is deyning people their rights is also not it.

As far as I'm concerned you can disagree with that statement and still believe everyone has the right not to be discriminated against.

It's a relatively new and difficult issue. Unfortunately as with a lot of things the hardline zealots on either end dominate the discourse.