Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: haveaharp on July 31, 2017, 03:53:42 PM
Quote from: keeperlit on July 31, 2017, 03:46:00 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
....however I would be in favour it being compulsory for all cyclists (say over the age of 16 to avoid kiddies on stabilisers) to have adequate insurance.  Cycling Ireland do offer insurance through their membership.  Most club cyclists will be but there is a huge amount of leisure cyclists out there who aren't.  I'd even consider compulsory membership of CI for all bike users and give CI more responsibility for ensuring cyclists are aware of their responsibilities on the road.

OK fess up time, as you may have guessed, I do a bit of cycling but I'm just making the point that the "all cyclists are pricks and cnuts" attitude can be challenged.

What would the point of Insurance be- whenever they do cause accidents or thump the side/roof of your car causing damage on narrow country roads they just ride on and there is no way of identifying them.
One incident I was involved in was were after pulling out of the lane of my own house on a narrow country road and sitting  behind a cyclist for about 1/2 mile. During this 1/2 mile the fellow had about 4 places that he could have pulled into and allowed me pass. I politely beeped as I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not hear me. He then preceded to give me and my father a tirade of abuse and sat bang in the middle of the road for about 1 & 1/2 miles. I eventually  passed him and jumped out of the car (calmly) to ask him what the problem was. The first thing that came out of his mouth was ' I'll have your house, your car the whole lot if you come near me' as he ride on. I had no intention of touching him but just wanted to find out what his problem was. Brave fella. Protected by his an anonymity but knew were I lived and would have had a number plate, etc.

And this is not one isolated incident with just this lad been a t@sser. Another brave lycra head followed my mother up into the yard and thumped and banged at the car roof. Called the police couldn't do a thing as there is no way of identifying these cowards and by the time police would react they are long gone. And then have the cheek to come crying victim when something happens. Several other incidents like this on our road.

In my opinion, there is a large majority of the lycra brigade who treat other road users like this, as woe betide you would affect their time trials.   All about the stats you know.

The could have pulled in and allowed you to pass ? I'm baffled. Why should he ? What was your rush?
You're right of course..why should he let them pass.
Like why would I let the old man behind me in the queue go ahead of me when I have a full trolly of shopping and he only has a loaf of bread..Or why would you hold the door open for someone..Or let someone out of a junction in slow moving traffic..
Its called manners..
So yeah you may ask why should he pull over..I'll ask you why wouldn't he pull over? Where is the harm in not being a p***k?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

haveaharp

Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2017, 04:07:03 PM
....however I would be in favour it being compulsory for all cyclists (say over the age of 16 to avoid kiddies on stabilisers) to have adequate insurance.  Cycling Ireland do offer insurance through their membership.  Most club cyclists will be but there is a huge amount of leisure cyclists out there who aren't.  I'd even consider compulsory membership of CI for all bike users and give CI more responsibility for ensuring cyclists are aware of their responsibilities on the road.

OK fess up time, as you may have guessed, I do a bit of cycling but I'm just making the point that the "all cyclists are pricks and cnuts" attitude can be challenged.

What would the point of Insurance be- whenever they do cause accidents or thump the side/roof of your car causing damage on narrow country roads they just ride on and there is no way of identifying them.
One incident I was involved in was were after pulling out of the lane of my own house on a narrow country road and sitting  behind a cyclist for about 1/2 mile. During this 1/2 mile the fellow had about 4 places that he could have pulled into and allowed me pass. I politely beeped as I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not hear me. He then preceded to give me and my father a tirade of abuse and sat bang in the middle of the road for about 1 & 1/2 miles. I eventually  passed him and jumped out of the car (calmly) to ask him what the problem was. The first thing that came out of his mouth was ' I'll have your house, your car the whole lot if you come near me' as he ride on. I had no intention of touching him but just wanted to find out what his problem was. Brave fella. Protected by his an anonymity but knew were I lived and would have had a number plate, etc.

And this is not one isolated incident with just this lad been a t@sser. Another brave lycra head followed my mother up into the yard and thumped and banged at the car roof. Called the police couldn't do a thing as there is no way of identifying these cowards and by the time police would react they are long gone. And then have the cheek to come crying victim when something happens. Several other incidents like this on our road.

In my opinion, there is a large majority of the lycra brigade who treat other road users like this, as woe betide you would affect their time trials.   All about the stats you know.

The could have pulled in and allowed you to pass ? I'm baffled. Why should he ? What was your rush?
You're right of course..why should he let them pass.
Like why would I let the old man behind me in the queue ahead of me when I have a full trolly of shopping and he only has a loaf of bread..Or why would you hold the door open for someone..Or let someone out of a junction in slow moving traffic..
Its called manners..
So yeah you may ask why should he pull over..I'll ask you why wouldn't he pull over? Where is the harm in not being a p***k?

Because quite simply within a minute or so he would be able to pass. Drivers think they have the right to pass cyclists with close passes left right and centre yet the same 4x4 driving twats will slow to a crawl for someone on a horse. Whats the difference ?

haveaharp

that said not all 4x4 drivers are twats. ;) Audi's Smartcars and Range rovers usually are though.

Tony Baloney

What a pathetic response. Yes why let someone pass? They might be transporting a sick child* or pregnant woman to hospital. Or on their way to an appointment or work. The list goes on but you can be rest assured the driver of the car has something more important to be at that than the useless cnut on the bike.

*Someone I know had a neighbour call round giving off that they were on their way to an out of hours appointment with their baby when they got stuck in a massive tailback due to their son in laws cycling club. Needless to say not one cyclist made any attempt to give way. When he confronted the son in law about it, the response was a shrug of the shoulders.

AZOffaly

A horse is a live animal that can spook if you startle it. 

I don't have problems with single cyclists, but I do hate those little peletons that clog up country lanes, and don't give a shite who is behind them. At least tractors and the like are working!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 31, 2017, 04:25:49 PM

I don't have problems with single cyclists, but I do hate those little peletons that clog up country lanes, and don't give a shite who is behind them. At least tractors and the like are working!
That's the shit you face round here. Single cyclists or small groups are no bother but the big cycling clubs riding 2 abreast chatting are a menace. They shouldn't be a allowed to be in groups more than 2 cars in length and should leave spaces in between for overtaking.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 31, 2017, 04:25:49 PM

LL hit the nail on the head. It's just manners. Most people have them, some people don't. Lycra clad cyclists seem to be overwhelmingly in the latter category.

J70

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 03:42:39 PM
He was CYCLING behind the guy who had an accident and killed the motorist who caused the accident - it was a direct answer to a direct question.

But its an irrelevant answer, which is my point. His conduct while cycling and the results thereof are not what killed that man and are not in question. His anger management problem, his resort to violence, and his callous/cowardly lack of concern for his victim are the issue.

Had he run a red light or shot out on to the street out of nowhere or was weaving in and out of traffic, causing an accident with a car in which a driver was killed, then that would be relevant to the question.

Its like the stories we see on the board occasionally when the Indo or whatever leads with a headline about "GAA player in deadly assault" or whatever, and the incident in question took place in a night club or some other setting and circumstances that had nothing whatsoever to do with the person being a GAA player/member.

haveaharp

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 31, 2017, 04:23:52 PM

What a pathetic response. Yes why let someone pass? They might be transporting a sick child* or pregnant woman to hospital. Or on their way to an appointment or work. The list goes on but you can be rest assured the driver of the car has something more important to be at that than the useless cnut on the bike.

*Someone I know had a neighbour call round giving off that they were on their way to an out of hours appointment with their baby when they got stuck in a massive tailback due to their son in laws cycling club. Needless to say not one cyclist made any attempt to give way. When he confronted the son in law about it, the response was a shrug of the shoulders.

Clearly lots of petrol heads on this thread. Their time more important than anyone elses.

haveaharp

Part of the driving test should be to do 50 hrs on a bike over a month or so. Get some perspective on how much of an asshole some people behind a wheel actually are.
Cycling clubs are perfectly entitled to ride 2 a breast and how often does their peleton actually become bigger than say an articulated truck. Are we clamouring for trucks to be removed from the road ?

laoislad

Quote from: haveaharp on July 31, 2017, 04:49:08 PM
Part of the driving test should be to do 50 hrs on a bike over a month or so. Get some perspective on how much of an asshole some people behind a wheel actually are.
Cycling clubs are perfectly entitled to ride 2 a breast and how often does their peleton actually become bigger than say an articulated truck. Are we clamouring for trucks to be removed from the road ?
I've  got big into fitness and keeping myself in shape the last few years. Would prefer the running above all else but have a bike at home that I take out on occasion. I've got more abuse off other cyclists than I have off car drivers.
Stopped at a red light one evening and this tour de France wannabe gives me an earful for stopping as he nearly went into the back of me, he then just sped off through the red light before I could answer him.
I wouldn't be a fan of wearing lycra so maybe he didn't like the running shorts and Liverpool Jersey I was wearing. I'm sure he had a Strava segment that he just had to beat at the time...f**k the red light.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

square_ball

Do trucks travel at 15-20mph??

haveaharp

Quote from: square_ball on July 31, 2017, 04:53:30 PM

Do trucks travel at 15-20mph??

No therefore the cyclists at 15-20mph must be easier and quicker to overtake

Tony Baloney

That's the best you can come up with  ??? Take yourself over to Hoganstand.

haveaharp

Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2017, 04:51:51 PM
I've  got big into fitness and keeping myself in shape the last few years. Would prefer the running above all else but have a bike at home that I take out on occasion. I've got more abuse off other cyclists than I have off car drivers.
Stopped at a red light one evening and this tour de France wannabe gives me an earful for stopping as he nearly went into the back of me, he then just sped off through the red light before I could answer him.
I wouldn't be a fan of wearing lycra so maybe he didn't like the running shorts and Liverpool Jersey I was wearing. I'm sure he had a Strava segment that he just had to beat at the time...f**k the red light.

Well in fairness LL that guy was a gobshite. On the road follow the rules - give respect and get respect.