Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on January 26, 2017, 03:01:52 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 26, 2017, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2017, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 26, 2017, 11:05:23 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on January 25, 2017, 11:23:34 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 25, 2017, 10:10:06 PM
You've Dublin players not lining out for their clubs in relegation battles and championship semi-finals.. Why would they put all these treats in jeopardy for a paltry club game?The polar opposite of what the GAA is about

Which players are you referring to?

Both have been listed on here at some stage, Paul Flynn is one of them, the other name escapes me
Flynn missed a leinster intermediate club semi final in late November / early December. I understand that it was because he was on holidays in the US with his partner.
Very difficult one, as the holiday would have been planned from a long time out and no way would he have expected to be still playing club football at that time. He was around and played in the Dublin intermediate championship and was the key man in Fingallians finally regaining senior status after near-misses in the few years previous.

The cars players get are generally use of a car for year, rather than a free car. Still great of course.

Fingallians played in the promotion play-offs after that date though Hound, these play-offs regularly go into November/December. Fingallians would have been one of the favourites for promotion from division 3 as well as for the Intermediate title. If Flynn wasn't planning on still playing ball in November/December I'm sure his club was. That was arguably Fingallians biggest day out in years. No way would he have missed a Leinster semi-final for the Dubs for a holiday in the US. Then again there's no use of cars or grants for the club player.

While I mostly agree with you Croi, I am going to stand up for Flynn a bit. Every player is entitled to a break, and it's the fault of HQ that the calendar is a mess. Flynn's loyalty to his club has been tested in the past in a different way (if rumours are to be believed. I can't back this up!) and he showed then that he is no mercenary. I don't think he is the best example here, as from my small amount of exposure to him he comes across as a very genuine guy who just loves his football.

That would be my impression of him as well shark, a very genuine guy who just loves his football. He was out on his feet this year and no doubt needs a break. The time to get the break is when the club is finished though. He shouldn't reappear again for the county until he's healed up and with the strength in depth in Dublin he can be afforded this time now. Again I couldn't even see him missing a league game for the Dubs for a holiday in the US.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Canalman

In fairness, Paul Flynn  was playing club  football for Fingallians well into December which the vast amount of intercounty players were not doing.

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 03:40:14 PM
You've Dublin players not lining out for their clubs in relegation battles and championship semi-finals.. Why would they put all these treats in jeopardy for a paltry club game?The polar opposite of what the GAA is about

Both have been listed on here at some stage, Paul Flynn is one of them, the other name escapes me
Flynn missed a leinster intermediate club semi final in late November / early December. I understand that it was because he was on holidays in the US with his partner.
Very difficult one, as the holiday would have been planned from a long time out and no way would he have expected to be still playing club football at that time. He was around and played in the Dublin intermediate championship and was the key man in Fingallians finally regaining senior status after near-misses in the few years previous.

The cars players get are generally use of a car for year, rather than a free car. Still great of course.

Do they have to pay BIK on this?

Not according to their Official Tax Partner.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JoG2

Quote from: Jinxy on January 27, 2017, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 03:40:14 PM

Do they have to pay BIK on this?

Not according to their Official Tax Partner.

;D

JimStynes

Anyone got a list of the players jobs? Surely they're in proper employment and getting a bit of time off during games etc. I couldn't see too many being 9-5 footballers.

Fuzzman

I see a similar imbalance in rugby that if England win the Gran Slam they will share a jackpot of more than £3.5 million (€4.1m).
Should Ireland win the Grand Slam, it is believed that each player would receive £63,000 (€74,000) as a one-off payment for the entire tournament, around £90,000 (€106,000) less than their English counterparts.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/revealed-irish-players-will-earn-significantly-less-money-than-their-english-counterparts-for-grand-slam-success-35402587.html

JoG2

Club rugby the same.  With the money the French and English clubs share compared to the rest,  according to some rugby analyst on the Last Word last year,  it'll be an absolute miracle for any club outside of France or England to win the Heineken Cup again. 

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Canalman on January 27, 2017, 11:26:38 AM
In fairness, Paul Flynn  was playing club  football for Fingallians well into December which the vast amount of intercounty players were not doing.

That's already been stated, numerous times.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

red hander

Quote from: stew on January 26, 2017, 04:02:11 PM
Quote from: rrhf on January 26, 2017, 02:20:56 PM
Would Semi professional soccor players in Ireland have as much as that, and thats only 1 deal we know about. 
At what stage do we concede that the Dubs are playing professional (semi) Gaelic Football and the rest of Ireland arent. 
Question is.. Is this a good model for the GAA going forward?  Dubs cant play football to get these deals if they werent playing against amateurs from other counties.
If I was from Meath I would hate the Dubs this morning. 

They cheat, Tyrone cheat, whats the difference????

14 years of hurt and counting

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on January 27, 2017, 05:20:31 PM
Club rugby the same.  With the money the French and English clubs share compared to the rest,  according to some rugby analyst on the Last Word last year,  it'll be an absolute miracle for any club outside of France or England to win the Heineken Cup again.
That was the theory but Munster and Leinster are holding their own so far
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Terrible😡. Hope they all get clamped the next time they play at Croker.

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on January 28, 2017, 02:58:59 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 27, 2017, 05:20:31 PM
That was the theory but Munster and Leinster are holding their own so far

1 semi finalist since the revamp with the French and English sides getting stronger.  We'll see but it's now as skewed a tournament as the AI

Gael85

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 27, 2017, 02:55:38 PM
I see a similar imbalance in rugby that if England win the Gran Slam they will share a jackpot of more than £3.5 million (€4.1m).
Should Ireland win the Grand Slam, it is believed that each player would receive £63,000 (€74,000) as a one-off payment for the entire tournament, around £90,000 (€106,000) less than their English counterparts.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/revealed-irish-players-will-earn-significantly-less-money-than-their-english-counterparts-for-grand-slam-success-35402587.html

Cluxton-Teacher
McMahon-Strength & Conditioning Coach
Cooper-Student Recruitment for DCU
Fitzsimons-Physio
McCarthy-Bank Official
O'Sullivan-Accountant
Small-Bank Official
Fenton-Physio
Flynn-Commercial Director
Connolly-Account Manager
Kilkenny-Student
Mannion-Teacher
McManmaman-Owner of Fresh Food Direct
Andrews-Stockbroker
Rock-Gym Instructer
MDMA-Teacher
Bastick-Financial Advisor
O'Gara-Sales Rep
Brady-QS
Daly-Health & Safety Advisor
Costello-Teacher
McCaffrey-Student
Savage-Economist
Brogan-Accountant
Byrne-Student
Lowndes-Teacher
O'Callaghan-Student

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 27, 2017, 02:55:38 PM

It's irrelevant to the state of the GAA what English rugby players might earn as a bonus compared to their Irish counterparts.

What might be relevant are examples of sporting inequality in Ireland. The story of Connacht compared to the other 3 provinces is a case in point and over recent years Connacht have managed to be treated as (almost) equals  when it comes to getting their slice of the IRFU kitty, despite them having radically fewer supporters and arriving late to competing at the top european levels.  A similar to IRFU policy re  disbursement of funds does not exist in the GAA. There is an existing inherent inequality with Dublin having 1/4 the population and a progressive quasi professionalism, the sporting inequality is increasing due in part to their growing slice from central GAA funds, the growth of their commercial sponsorship and its importance in the game. .

GAA aspiration should be that a similar level of top quality facilities re infrastructure and coaching be made available to all counties.