Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2017, 12:33:06 AM
Never thought I'd never consider this but unless I hear someone campaign on non-sectarian grounds or refer to issues that really matter then I'll be driving past that polling station.

I hope there's a 20% turn out. A strong message needs to be sent out but I expect the DUP to hold and maybe even strengthen their vote. Yeeeoooooooo etc. This place is a dungheap.

Might vote for yer blade Dobson. She's deadly.

She looks very like Alison Morris I always think.

I'd say you're better turning up and spoiling your vote that not voting, that's what I'm considering atm, at least it registers your apathy to the options rather than being lumped as couldn't be arsed.

DickyRock

What does spoiling achieve? No matter which politician gets in they will claim a mandate and that they represent you even if you do vote/spoil your vote. 

MoChara

Quote from: DickyRock on January 19, 2017, 10:06:20 AM
What does spoiling achieve? No matter which politician gets in they will claim a mandate and that they represent you even if you do vote/spoil your vote.

Instead whoever you do vote for can honestly say they represent you and I've never liked the idea of voting for someone you disagree with to keep someone else you disagree with out.

Franko

I spoiled my vote at the last elections but wont be doing it this time.  I can't bear to watch the arrogance of the DUP any longer.  There'll be a number in every box bar the DUP's this time.

Take Your Points

Anyone spoiling their vote are only supporting DUP SF as both have a fairly hard core of voters who will not consider the candidate and vote the party line.  Until those who left the process rejoin these cores will determine the government for us all and will continue to be able to threaten democracy every time they don't get their own way by preventing government from being established.

The RHI scandal is beginning to show that the SPADs are the route by which each party rules within government with no accountability as either politicians or civil servants.  They have the authority of the minister in all of their actions and there will be a hierarchy of SPADs on both sides.

OakleafCounty

I seen on Facebook. Alex Maskey advising people to 'fight back' against the DUP by voting for SF. That makes no sense to me because it's a power sharing executive. SF's political opponent is the SDLP and PBP. In order to get the DUP out we'd have to boost the UUP, Alliance or in some cases Green Party vote.

I've never put a number beside a unionist before but I'm seriously considering this time if I think there's a chance of it stopping the DUP getting in.

Rossfan

Quote from: Franko on January 19, 2017, 10:38:36 AM
I spoiled my vote at the last elections but wont be doing it this time.  I can't bear to watch the arrogance of the DUP any longer.  There'll be a number in every box bar the DUP's this time.

That's the way to use PR.
Spoiled votes don't get counted and nobody gives 2 Fs about them.
As for not voting. ....if only 20% vote it's still a valid election and those 20% make the decision for everyone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whiskeysteve

the DUP would absolutely love you to spoil your vote - the only way you can hold them accountable is by voting for others.

Saying they are all as bad as each other in so many words is really irrelevant as an argument to spoil a vote. If, by wielding your vote, one crowd of incompetents is displaced by another, at least you would have contributed to a principle of electoral accountability and send a message that absolutely staggering RHI level incompetence will not be tolerated.

In all honesty, I would view a spoiled vote as effectively a small scale endorsement of the DUP, as its only practical effect would be to contribute to a preservation of the status quo.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Take Your Points

Quote from: whiskeysteve on January 19, 2017, 11:21:38 AM
the DUP would absolutely love you to spoil your vote - the only way you can hold them accountable is by voting for others.

Saying they are all as bad as each other in so many words is really irrelevant as an argument to spoil a vote. If, by wielding your vote, one crowd of incompetents is displaced by another, at least you would have contributed to a principle of electoral accountability and send a message that absolutely staggering RHI level incompetence will not be tolerated.

In all honesty, I would view a spoiled vote as effectively a small scale endorsement of the DUP, as its only practical effect would be to contribute to a preservation of the status quo.

Exactly, PR needs to be used intelligently to halt DUP.  SF core will always plump for their own they need only a very small percentage of the electorate to maintain their seats proportionately in a 90 seat assembly.  Others should consider how best to use they votes to remove the DUP with votes for any other party that is just struggling to get that last seat.

MoChara

Not agreeing with a party is the only reason not to vote for them. Its not a case of they are as bad as each other rather I have different issues with different parties which make them objectionable to me.

Voting for the Shinners or SDLP won't make any difference to the DUP, because we live in a divided society its up to the electoral Unionists community to show their disgust to the DUP, they don't expect, court nor really care about my vote.

I guess the question is what do you consider the status quo to actually be in the North, is it the DUP/SF executive or is it Stormont itself.

Rossfan

You are not maximising your PR if you don't give preferences to the least objectionable others.
If for example all  the Nationalist candidates are elected or eliminated then your vote is dead if you haven't continued to eg  Greens, Alliance and then to the Unionists you prefer.
It's all about PREFERENCES.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

No wides

Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2017, 12:14:31 PM
You are not maximising your PR if you don't give preferences to the least objectionable others.
If for example all  the Nationalist candidates are elected or eliminated then your vote is dead if you haven't continued to eg  Greens, Alliance and then to the Unionists you prefer.
It's all about PREFERENCES.

You should give lectures on PR, what would the poor northern nationalists do without you, I am sure your insight with help topple the DUP and get a united Ireland!

illdecide

I asked a few prods i work with last week would the scandals over the last while back have any influence on how you'd vote and instantly all 3 of them without hesitation said "no", they stated they will still vote DUP and that's the scary thing as this circus seems to be still capable of emerging just as it was...How do we stop this? How can we stop DUP? I don't believe we can and the majority of protestant people are still that brainwashed they'll still vote for them...

As someone stated it's really up to the Mike Nesbitt brigade and Alliance to hurt the DUP...I've been a Sinn Fein voter my whole life but i'm so disillusioned with it all i couldn't care less if they all disappeared...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Now is not the time to give up. Loads of change is coming and the DUP is not ready for it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

The reason I spoiled my vote was because I didn't want to vote for anyone.  It's essentially saying 'I want to exercise my right to vote, but I deem none of the candidates competent enough to vote for'.  Arguing that it has no practical significance only applies if only small numbers of people do it.  It's the same as saying 'there's no point in voting UUP in east derry, or the green party pretty much anywhere.  If significant numbers of people spoiled their vote, instead of just not voting it would send the relevant message.