Northwest 200

Started by Longshanks, May 12, 2016, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Many of you guys much of a fan of the bikes or would go down over the week to see the racing? on a week like this it's going to be busier than ever!
I remember going down every year as a kid and loving it but have lost much of the interest now.

whiskeysteve

yin yin yin yin yin yin yin!!!  ;D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Longshanks on May 12, 2016, 09:32:00 AM
Many of you guys much of a fan of the bikes or would go down over the week to see the racing? on a week like this it's going to be busier than ever!
I remember going down every year as a kid and loving it but have lost much of the interest now.

Never had any interest in motorbikes at all, just is something I dont really get.
TBH honest round our part of the word it was always viewed as a bit of a mini 12th July.
That could be completely wrong, but was always the perception growing up.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Orior

It is in the north yes, but west?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Longshanks

Never had any interest in motorbikes at all, just is something I dont really get.
TBH honest round our part of the word it was always viewed as a bit of a mini 12th July.
That could be completely wrong, but was always the perception growing up.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean regarding mini 12th although I think thats just because of the area it takes place in and the fact a few DUP faces support it, never any sign of anything like that when I have been there or even seen it. Infact because the crowd that come in from around the world to see the bikes and enjoy the week there is nothing like that cause it isn't all locals.

screenexile

Apart from the mini 12th thing my problem with it is the fact it's a complete death trap.

There's been 4 deaths in the past 8 years and that's not counting the serious injuries!!! I think road bike racing should be scrapped!

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2016, 10:16:41 AM
Apart from the mini 12th thing my problem with it is the fact it's a complete death trap.

There's been 4 deaths in the past 8 years and that's not counting the serious injuries!!! I think road bike racing should be scrapped!

but it's a part of our kulture hi

snoopdog

Didn't guy Martin say it was a crap event. Bbc norn iron were non too pleased at that.  Steve Watson nearly had a coronary

snoopdog

Brave men though. Through in a bike around a road at 180mph knowing certain death if you hit anything. Great documentary on the TT few years ago . I'm no fan of it but it takes a lot of balls. 

Longshanks

Quote from: snoopdog on May 12, 2016, 11:07:53 AM
Brave men though. Through in a bike around a road at 180mph knowing certain death if you hit anything. Great documentary on the TT few years ago . I'm no fan of it but it takes a lot of balls.

That would be my opinion on it, if they love it and want to it who am I to stop them? there is danger in everything and they take as many measures to lessen the danger as possible..

Still takes a slightly mad person to do 200mph on a road circuit, and so respect for that..

themac_23

i go to the NW200 every year, always enjoy the atmosphere. To even link it to the 12th is wrong imho I've never seen anything that would suggest that. Yes road racing is mostly done by protestants over here but they do have a real passion for the sport.

Hound

Quote from: themac_23 on May 12, 2016, 11:20:16 AM
i go to the NW200 every year, always enjoy the atmosphere. To even link it to the 12th is wrong imho I've never seen anything that would suggest that. Yes road racing is mostly done by protestants over here but they do have a real passion for the sport.
Road racing very popular in parts of North County Dublin too. When I was young I used to go to the North West and the Ulster every year, along with the Skerries and Killalane races in Dublin. Never saw a hint of sectarianism.

I used to love the racing, and going round the paddocks getting the autographs of the racers is a great memory from my youth. But haven't gone in well over a decade (maybe 2) as I got disillusioned with so many of the lads dying in accidents/crashes.   

Brick Tamlin

They all talk funny at it.
And Watson & co at the BBC creamin themselves over it would alone put you off it.
Brum brum brum brum brum. A petrolhead's wet dream.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 12, 2016, 11:41:18 AM
They all talk funny at it.
And Watson & co at the BBC creamin themselves over it would alone put you off it.
Brum brum brum brum brum. A petrolhead's wet dream.

I think that's probably part of it too.
As I said, my preconception of it could be completely misplaced.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: themac_23 on May 12, 2016, 11:20:16 AM

over here?  ::)