Transferring money from NI to USA

Started by gawa316, October 21, 2014, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Anyone got recommendations for who I can send money from NI to the USA with?

I am considering Transferwise but would just like to know of any others that have a good rep.

Thanks in advance

gawa316

Quote from: Puckoon on October 21, 2014, 06:53:46 PM
Paypal?

My Paypal got locked one time and I've never figured out how to unlock it :(

Boycey

Another vote for PayPal, sort ur account out. I've only recently become aware of all the uses of it. Tis excellent

dec

I have transferred money directly from my NI Bank of Ireland account to my US bank account.

I needed to provide BOI with the SWIFT code of the US bank, ABA number (equivalent of the bank sort code) and the account number. I usually showed up on the same day as the NI bank processed it.

Can you get the bank details of the person you are sending the money to?

gawa316

Quote from: dec on October 21, 2014, 07:22:45 PM
I have transferred money directly from my NI Bank of Ireland account to my US bank account.

I needed to provide BOI with the SWIFT code of the US bank, ABA number (equivalent of the bank sort code) and the account number. I usually showed up on the same day as the NI bank processed it.

Yeah it's to me!

I'm in the US and want to transfer over some funds from my bank acc back home

Puckoon

Sort out your paypal, should be chargeless.

The folks wired money to my bank a few times, and they needed every bit of information referenced by Dec down there. Link your accounts to your paypal, and use the friends and family link. Bingo.

Bingo

Quote from: Puckoon on October 21, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
Sort out your paypal, should be chargeless.

The folks wired money to my bank a few times, and they needed every bit of information referenced by Dec down there. Link your accounts to your paypal, and use the friends and family link. Bingo.

Yes?

dec

Quote from: gawa316 on October 21, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
Quote from: dec on October 21, 2014, 07:22:45 PM

Yeah it's to me!

I'm in the US and want to transfer over some funds from my bank acc back home

I sent a letter to BOI (email or phone call were not acceptable)
the text was roughly like this
----
To Bank of Ireland Customer Service
Please make the following international transfer from my Bank of Ireland current account to my US Bankname checking account.

Amount: £1,000 (One thosusand POUNDS)

FROM
Sort Code: 99-99-99
Account Number: 87654321
Account Owner:
dec
address on BOI acct

TO

SWIFT Code: ABCDUS33
ABA Number: 021000123
Account Number: 23456789
Account Owner:
dec
address on US acct
----

The Iceman

open a new paypal account under a different email address if you cant fix the one you have.....
paypal is the way to go - friends and family link - no charge
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

Watch out not only for the charges, but also the exchange commission. Bank of Ireland are unlikely to be competitive on either front.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ThroughTheLaces

Currency Fair. Takes a bit of setting up but a very small charge per transaction ($3) and better exchange rate than the banks. Tells you how much better off you are by using them.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on October 21, 2014, 09:23:37 PM
Currency Fair. Takes a bit of setting up but a very small charge per transaction ($3) and better exchange rate than the banks. Tells you how much better off you are by using them.

Would agree with Currencyfair, especially if you have time on your side and don't need to send it immediately.

It works a bit like betfair, in that you are dealing with other customers and the rate they set. You can set a rate that is a bit better than the current exchange rate and if it is met, it will automatically go through. If the exchange rate changes, you can alter your rate (presuming nobody has already accepted)

As mentioned above, there is a small charge per transaction, but NO commission.
Hasta la victoria siempre

DickyRock

Fella at work used bitcoin to do the same thing.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 22, 2014, 05:54:02 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on October 21, 2014, 09:23:37 PM

Would agree with Currencyfair, especially if you have time on your side and don't need to send it immediately.

It works a bit like betfair, in that you are dealing with other customers and the rate they set. You can set a rate that is a bit better than the current exchange rate and if it is met, it will automatically go through. If the exchange rate changes, you can alter your rate (presuming nobody has already accepted)

As mentioned above, there is a small charge per transaction, but NO commission.

I used currencyfair a couple of years ago to transfer money. Last year there was an issue with using U.S banks to transfer money back to Ireland. I haven't used them since so I am not sure if the issue is resolved.