Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the derg

we are always struggling for numbers but if the better players would commit then the younger/less talented automatically row in behind the difference between div3 and 4 is small and a couple of better players can make a vast difference at that level ..... john mcareavey left to play at a highar standard of football wich is quite ironic as both clubs played div 3 for a couple of years and possibly we both could be back in 3 this year..

western exile

Quote from: the derg on September 25, 2008, 04:44:10 PM
we are always struggling for numbers but if the better players would commit then the younger/less talented automatically row in behind the difference between div3 and 4 is small and a couple of better players can make a vast difference at that level ..... john mcareavey left to play at a highar standard of football wich is quite ironic as both clubs played div 3 for a couple of years and possibly we both could be back in 3 this year..

So, are you confident that you will win ALL 4 of your remaining games AND Dromara will lose both of their 2 remaining matches then?  AND you still manage to get a better points difference? 

Current Division 4 Table.    Top 2 promoted and there are no playoffs.

Played   Points      diff
St Johns          17         32         +221
Dromara           18         27        +127
------------------------------------------------------
Aghaderg         16         21         +74
Bright              18         15            -4
Ballykinlar         18         8          -204
Aughlisnafin      18        1          -213

This Saturday evening  Aghaderg v. Dromara  5.30pm

Old Bill

Quote from: guevara on September 23, 2008, 10:17:10 PM
Quote from: the derg on September 23, 2008, 02:43:30 PM
rory played midfield on same minor team as dan gordon great left foot strong player needs lots of hard training to get fit certainly worth looking at if he commits

Bad sign when a person from players own club is pointing out his lack of fitness! Was the fella injured or is he just not very fit?
Guys Ive been impressed with from watching  Div II (Im deliberately leaving out anyone from my own club Warrenpoint)

Paddy Feeney - Banbridge
Marcus McGrath - Darragh Cross
Eoin McGuinness - Shamrocks

Would that be marcus miskelly?

thewobbler

Apart from a few anomalies involving Mayobridge men and a couple of youngsters like Duffin, Ross's first 18-25 players hasn't been that far off the mark over the past two seasons. The players at the back-end of the panel could easily be interchanged with 25 other players from club football and it wouldn't make a bit of difference either way - none are going to play Championship football. So maybe Ross and DJ's plan of filling those spaces with Shamrocks men isn't that sinister at all, maybe it just saves them building up players they don't know, to then have to tell them that they aren't up to scratch.

Nearly all the names been bandied about above suffer from one or more of these things: a lack of pace, a lack of strength, or a lack of athleticism. Without at least two of these three things in abundance, players have no chance of making it at the top level, and I wish people would bear that in mind before throwing more stupid names into the hat. I'm not going to pick on individuals, but I nearly spat out at some of the players being touted for our county team.

Players who should get a chance though are Darren Cunningham of Saval at wing half-back, where his combination of footballing ability, athelticism and defending would be very welcome, and the returning from injury duo of Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin) and Benny McArdle (Annaclone), who are two tremendous athletes. I think the latter two have been called up anyway. Jarlath Farrell of Rostrevor is another one too possibly, but his stature counts against him.

By the way, James Colgan might be surrounded by hype, but he is still one of our top 4-5 options at midfield, and should be on the panel.

Pangurban

Amazing buzz around Loughinisland during build up to this final. Would be a massive fillip to game development in East Down if they could succeed in winning it. Terrific to see so many young kids being enthused, and full marks to local primary school which is bedecked in blue and white

Mourne Rover

I understand why our squad was named so early last year, as we were going through one of our regular periods of uncertainty and a poor start to the league would have meant that the disastrous prospect of relegation to div 4 and the Tommy Murphy Cup was a real possibility. However, I think we have clearly moved on from there and, barring injuries to key players, promotion to the second division should be well within our grasp. Starting the whole process again in September seems premature if we are serious about a campaign which should last into August of 2009.

I agree with Wobbler that Colgan should be involved, but it would appear that the management were less than impressed with his commitment after we lost to Armagh. Colgan recovered from a poor opening period that day to put in a promising effort at midfield in his first ever championship start. He stayed firmly on the bench for the qualifiers, so something subsequently went astray. His former St Louis colleague Peter Fitzpatrick is big enough to do the job and can take a score as well. If his pace returns after his injury, he deserves his chance.

corn02

I know a lot of you will be mad to get to this. You can read about the tragedy and the Gearld Fearon appeal at www.gfmemorialday.com. I am sure youhave read about it in the news over the last two years. A lot more names to be added that I will update, anyone likely to head?

In case you cant see the writing it is Armagh v An allstar select managed by Joe Kernan and Mickey Harte:

Ref:Pat McEnaney

Players: include : Kierna McGeeney, Conor Mortimer, Graham Geraghty, Paddy Bradley, Seanie Johnston, Paul Barden, Karol Mannion, Eamon O'Hara, Ross Munnelly, Brian Dooher, BRyan Cullen, Marty McGrath.

Saturday, October 18th. Dromintee.

Golden Oldies too - names to be revealed.

islandboy

did you hear the news today? st johns gaelic club burnt to the ground. i understand it was deliberate. they play in the final on sunday. very sad news. times have still not changed in the six counties

the derg

you will note western that i used the word "possibly" in my posting  is it true that St JOHNS CLUB WAS BURNT TO THE GROUND LAST NIGHT ? i was up round that part of the county recently and loads of buzz bunting anticipation about the fact they were in the junior final.

Lecale2

Quote from: islandboy on September 26, 2008, 09:13:58 AM
did you hear the news today? st johns gaelic club burnt to the ground. i understand it was deliberate. they play in the final on sunday. very sad news. times have still not changed in the six counties

Where did you hear that Islandboy? Shocking news if it's true.There's been a right few club houses burned in the past - Bryansford, Ballycran, Ballygalget.

islandboy

heard first thing this morning lecale 2. definitely true. i heard it was totally burnt to the ground not just minor damage. hope it does not effect there preparations for sunday-

Down Gael

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7637304.stm

A GAA clubhouse in County Down has been destroyed by a fire.

The fire and rescue service were called to St John's clubhouse at Drumnaquoile, near Castlewellan, at about 0700 on Wednesday.

It is not yet known what started the fire. Jacqui McMullan from the club said "hundreds of thousands of pounds worth" of damage had been caused.

"We had refurbishing done, equipment and a lot of valuable trophies," she said.

"On Sunday we are going to play a junior championship final in Newry so this is a big day coming up. Now we have been set back a bit."

stpauls

Quote from: islandboy on September 26, 2008, 10:02:59 AM
heard first thing this morning lecale 2. definitely true. i heard it was totally burnt to the ground not just minor damage. hope it does not effect there preparations for sunday-

was going to say the same thing, hope it doesn't distract them from sunday's game!! after the putting us out, would hope they go on to win it!!

uselessfootballer

Aye this story was covered on Radio Ulster this morning, they interviewed the Chairwoman, Jackie McMullan. The club rooms are  a complete write-off apparently, I hope to god this doesn't turn out to have been deliberate

amallon

Thats tough on the club.  I remember playing there in the thirds championship and they had one of the best playing surfaces in the county a great pitch.  I can't remember much about their club house.  There will be a lot of good will to the club from right across the county and hopefully this is reflected in generous donations from GAA people to help them get back on their feet.

There are too many half wits on both sides going around burning halls, chrurches, club rooms etc..
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.