Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

Quote from: Leo on September 23, 2008, 01:37:48 PM
Quote from: Super Dupe on September 23, 2008, 11:52:52 AM
Seems crazy to get together already< but just out of intrest anybody know anyone called to it???

Colgan and Daniel McCartan both apparantley gone!!

Sad to say it also time to say goodbye to one or two others. I'm not talking about the likes of Kevin McGuigan or John Fegan who should never be near the squad, but great seasoned club players like Ronan Murtagh and Ronan Sexton simply do not have what is needed at county level.

Leo has ronan done something against you previously as you just do not seem to like the lad
[/quote]
Keeps 'er' straight

T O Hare

murtagh and sexton are continually standing out at club level so it would be stupid to drop them!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

spiritof91and94

Quote from: off the laces on September 23, 2008, 01:47:04 PM
Seems crazy to get together already< but just out of intrest anybody know anyone called to it???

Sad to say it also time to say goodbye to one or two others. I'm not talking about the likes of Kevin McGuigan or John Fegan who should never be near the squad, but great seasoned club players like Ronan Murtagh and Ronan Sexton simply do not have what is needed at county level.

Leo has ronan done something against you previously as you just do not seem to like the lad
[/quote]

100% right and they can take mcguigan with them

Leo

Quote from: off the laces on September 23, 2008, 01:47:04 PM

[/quote]

Absolutely love the lad and his style of play. Would he make the Tyrone bench? No.
We have to accept what I will call the "Shorty Teanor" phenomenon, whereby an outstanding club player in some cases is incapable of translating that to county level.

Fierce tame altogether

the derg

rory played midfield on same minor team as dan gordon great left foot strong player needs lots of hard training to get fit certainly worth looking at if he commits

amallon

Lads don't be leaving it to a Bridge man to come in and defend Shorty Trainor!  ;)  I was a bit young to remember but was Shorty not one of Down's better players in the late 80's?  He was some club footballer.

I think Sexton and Murtagh still have plenty to offer Down, they certainly have the hard work attitude and look after themselves.  These are the sort of lads we need around the panel if not on the team.  Don't be throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on September 23, 2008, 02:52:02 PM
Lads don't be leaving it to a Bridge man to come in and defend Shorty Trainor!  ;)  I was a bit young to remember but was Shorty not one of Down's better players in the late 80's?  He was some club footballer.

I think Sexton and Murtagh still have plenty to offer Down, they certainly have the hard work attitude and look after themselves.  These are the sort of lads we need around the panel if not on the team.  Don't be throwing out the baby with the bath water.

And won nothing in that era although this isnt the case here, a Shorty in the forward line would be a blessing

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 11:43:17 AM
IHC final on Saturday in Downpatrick, Liatroim v Portaferry. I'd expect Liatroim to win this. Ports will be missing Dule & Eamon Adair from their semi final win over Newry Shamrocks. Liatoim have improved this year and if they win on Saturday could give Ulster a run.

Are you refereeing it Bacon or have you retired from that?

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 22, 2008, 09:01:39 PM
Guevera, I'm not sure if I am either diluded or deluded, but I never suggested that Down were close to Tyrone's level as of today. What I pointed out was that we beat Tyrone in the Ulster championship, and, with hard work and major improvements to our defence, that gives us something to build on - no more and no less.

You say that Tyrone had a range of injuries for the Marshes game, including Sean Cavanagh. In fact, Cavanagh was fully fit that day and was probably Tyrone's MoM. "There was not a single player from Tyrone's starting 15 yesterday who was unavailable in Newry" The most notable absentee from the game was Martin Cole, who is by some distance our most experienced and capable defender and was unfairly suspended

The idea that Down have only introduced two or three newcomers in the last three or four years is also well wide of the mark. By my reckoning, there were five championship debuts this summer alone - Howard, Turley, Murney Fegan and McKernan. I would say there were at least another five in 2007 when Ross first came in. The problem is not one of giving new faces a chance, it is finding players who are up to inter-county standard in key positions. We made some progress this year, but we have a long way to go.
I certainly would not want to understimate the result that night and I may be wrong but my recollection is that that Tyrones most influential player this year was missing that night. i.e Enda McGinlay who had been concussed in the drawn game

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 11:43:17 AM
IHC final on Saturday in Downpatrick, Liatroim v Portaferry. I'd expect Liatroim to win this. Ports will be missing Dule & Eamon Adair from their semi final win over Newry Shamrocks. Liatoim have improved this year and if they win on Saturday could give Ulster a run.

Are you refereeing it Bacon or have you retired from that?

Mowglie is the referee. No better man!!
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

stiff breeze

Quote from: the derg on September 23, 2008, 02:43:30 PM
rory played midfield on same minor team as dan gordon great left foot strong player needs lots of hard training to get fit certainly worth looking at if he commits

Rory simpson on the panel !!! wat a joke! Laziest player in down! younger players need to be looked at and blooded into senior football .

the milkman

[/quote]

Would def. have kept Daniel in the squad, although he has plenty of critics, nobody can question his attitude, prob the most dedicated player in the county and always gives his best! Surely he is worth his place in the panel?

dodgy umpire

yes he is, what he lacks in pace he makes up for with ringcraft
The Boys in Red and Black are back

guevara

Bad sign when a person from players own club is pointing out his lack of fitness! Was the fella injured or is he just not very fit?
Guys Ive been impressed with from watching  Div II (Im deliberately leaving out anyone from my own club Warrenpoint)

Paddy Feeney - Banbridge
Marcus McGrath - Darragh Cross
Eoin McGuinness - Shamrocks

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Super Dupe

Quote from: guevara on September 23, 2008, 10:17:10 PM

Bad sign when a person from players own club is pointing out his lack of fitness! Was the fella injured or is he just not very fit?
Guys Ive been impressed with from watching  Div II (Im deliberately leaving out anyone from my own club Warrenpoint)

Paddy Feeney - Banbridge
Marcus McGrath - Darragh Cross
Eoin McGuinness - Shamrocks

Not another Shamrocks man  ???

How many players do they have on the panel now.  I hear its 6.