Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 21, 2008, 11:51:47 PM
Just in case no one else does, can I point our our record this year at all levels against the county which, in recent times, sets the bench mark. We beat Tyrone in the Ulster championship at both senior and u21 and we were in a winning position in the minors well into the second half if a couple of switches had been made. We have a huge amount of work to do, particularly at the back in all levels, but, if we listen to what the Tyrone players said today about the impact of losing to us, we can still move forward with at least some confidence.

Quote from: Pangurban on September 22, 2008, 12:19:23 AM
If our players would listen to the Tyrone players talk about the levels of committment and focus required, we may start to get somewhere. We have still too many going through the motions with low expectation, a couple of good performances the pinnacle of their ambition each year. The fact that there are few if any challengers for their positions, keeps them in the comfort zone from which nothing is ever won

Owned in the next post!

Leo

Quote from: behind the wire on September 22, 2008, 05:50:36 PM

, the CHF. for glassdrumman looked the part also, not sure of name or age though!!!

probably cormac murphy. hes a big ginger lad, very good player. could never understand why he wasnt at least looked at by the county management.
[/quote]

Murphy is son of former Derry player Liam who is a selector with U21.

Big strong player, beautiful striker of a ball - but now too old and a bit too languid in his style to make county. Class at this level, though.
Fierce tame altogether

Dromara Gael

Anyone have the fixtures for the week ahead

Mourne Rover

Guevera, I'm not sure if I am either diluded or deluded, but I never suggested that Down were close to Tyrone's level as of today. What I pointed out was that we beat Tyrone in the Ulster championship, and, with hard work and major improvements to our defence, that gives us something to build on - no more and no less.

You say that Tyrone had a range of injuries for the Marshes game, including Sean Cavanagh. In fact, Cavanagh was fully fit that day and was probably Tyrone's MoM. There was not a single player from Tyrone's starting 15 yesterday who was unavailable in Newry. The most notable absentee from the game was Martin Cole, who is by some distance our most experienced and capable defender and was unfairly suspended

The idea that Down have only introduced two or three newcomers in the last three or four years is also well wide of the mark. By my reckoning, there were five championship debuts this summer alone - Howard, Turley, Murney Fegan and McKernan. I would say there were at least another five in 2007 when Ross first came in. The problem is not one of giving new faces a chance, it is finding players who are up to inter-county standard in key positions. We made some progress this year, but we have a long way to go.

fernando

how many games are planned for sun?

Lecale2

Have the fixtures for this week been E Mailed? I haven't got them yet.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 22, 2008, 09:01:39 PM
Guevera, I'm not sure if I am either diluded or deluded, but I never suggested that Down were close to Tyrone's level as of today. What I pointed out was that we beat Tyrone in the Ulster championship, and, with hard work and major improvements to our defence, that gives us something to build on - no more and no less.

You say that Tyrone had a range of injuries for the Marshes game, including Sean Cavanagh. In fact, Cavanagh was fully fit that day and was probably Tyrone's MoM. There was not a single player from Tyrone's starting 15 yesterday who was unavailable in Newry. The most notable absentee from the game was Martin Cole, who is by some distance our most experienced and capable defender and was unfairly suspended

The idea that Down have only introduced two or three newcomers in the last three or four years is also well wide of the mark. By my reckoning, there were five championship debuts this summer alone - Howard, Turley, Murney Fegan and McKernan. I would say there were at least another five in 2007 when Ross first came in. The problem is not one of giving new faces a chance, it is finding players who are up to inter-county standard in key positions. We made some progress this year, but we have a long way to go.

spot on.we also lost doyle along the way who would have boosted our chances as we progressed. he was sorely missed in the armagh game
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Square Ball

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 22, 2008, 09:26:19 PM
Have the fixtures for this week been E Mailed? I haven't got them yet.

you not important?

Saturday 27th Sept
Ballyholland 2 00pm
RFC Final
Caislean an Mhuillin v Caislean Ruairi(J Killen)
Ballyholland 3 30pm
PRFC Final
Droichead Mhaigh Eo v Boireann(B Rice)
Downpatrick 4 30
Democrat Media IHC Final
Liatroim v Port An Pheire(C Coulter)
Saturday 5 30
ACFL Div 1
Clonduff v Saval
Castlewellan v Ballyholland
Burren v Longstone
An Riocht v Rostrevor
ACFL Div 2
Daragh Cross v Clanna na Banna
Ballymartin v Attical
Shamrocks V Warrenpoint
Kilclief v Annaclone
Downpatrick v Dundrum
Bryansford v Tullylish
ACFL Div 3
St Pauls v Drumaness
Teconnaught v Drumgath
Saul v Mitchels
St John Bosco v St Micheals
Carryduff v Bredagh
Glassdrumman v Glenn
ACFL Div 4
Aghaderg v Dromara
Sunday 28th Sept 1 00pm
ACHL Div 1
Bredagh v Shamrocks
ACHL Div 2
Ballyvarley v Warrenpoint
Pairc Esler 1 45
Junior Fotball Championship Final
Naomh Eoin v Breachtain(M Rawlinson)
Pairc Esler 4 00
Powerade SFC Final
Droichead Mhaigh Eo v Loch an Oileain(G Corrigan)

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Leo on September 22, 2008, 05:24:02 PM
Quote from: the milkman on September 22, 2008, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 22, 2008, 09:00:09 AM
We are getting back to the alcohol subject again - lets face facts we dont have the players to make a serious challenge, Wexford told us that.
A few posts back someone quoted a Loughinisland win in the SFC would send out the wrong signal to all other clubs in Down - beleive me it would be the best thing to happen Down football.
Ross has assembled a panel get together tomorrow night in Newcastle - wtf - has the defence of the McKenna Cup begun already? Last year we peaked in February and it looks like it will be the same again this year.

Seems crazy to get together already< but just out of intrest anybody know anyone called to it???

Some who should be:

K King           Bryansford
N McArdle     Castlewellan
F McGreevy   Castlewellan
L Sloan         Atticall
K Duffin        Castlewellan
M McClean     Kilcoo
J Doran         L'island
C Turley        L'island

Forget Kalum King - his sabbatical away fom GAA has left him muscle bound and injury prone - a physios dream. He wouldnt stick the county for five minutes, I take it no under 21 players will be called yet?

Bacon

IHC final on Saturday in Downpatrick, Liatroim v Portaferry. I'd expect Liatroim to win this. Ports will be missing Dule & Eamon Adair from their semi final win over Newry Shamrocks. Liatoim have improved this year and if they win on Saturday could give Ulster a run.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Super Dupe

Seems crazy to get together already< but just out of intrest anybody know anyone called to it???
[/quote]

Colgan and Daniel McCartan both apparantley gone!!

the derg

rory simpson from aghaderg has been called onto squad

An Cloch Scoilte

corn02

Quote from: the derg on September 23, 2008, 01:14:24 PM
rory simpson from aghaderg has been called onto squad

Who is he now.

When is the Intermediate?

Leo

Quote from: Super Dupe on September 23, 2008, 11:52:52 AM

Colgan and Daniel McCartan both apparantley gone!!
[/quote]

Sad to say it also time to say goodbye to one or two others. I'm not talking about the likes of Kevin McGuigan or John Fegan who should never be near the squad, but great seasoned club players like Ronan Murtagh and Ronan Sexton simply do not have what is needed at county level.

Fierce tame altogether