Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skat man

i dont think a tailteann will be high on the agenda for this group, it wasnt last year and i dont think the management will push a B comp this year either , all the chat is for making ulster final .

Lloyd p

Anyone thinking the pressure is on down to beat Donegal is deluded. They are still a serious team and I wouldn't be fooled by poor league form in a tough division 1. What have Down shown to suggest they would be favourites to win this one? A good run in the qualifiers would be a sign of good progress for Down this year and something to build on in year 2 with a strong squad.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Lloyd p on March 23, 2023, 04:12:40 PM
Anyone thinking the pressure is on down to beat Donegal is deluded. They are still a serious team and I wouldn't be fooled by poor league form in a tough division 1. What have Down shown to suggest they would be favourites to win this one? A good run in the qualifiers would be a sign of good progress for Down this year and something to build on in year 2 with a strong squad.

No such thing as qualifiers Llyod, lose you're out

ardtole

Quote from: skat man on March 23, 2023, 01:53:29 PM
i dont think a tailteann will be high on the agenda for this group, it wasnt last year and i dont think the management will push a B comp this year either , all the chat is for making ulster final .

I'd disagree, in the immediate term the focus will be on the Donegal game. And I would give us a good chance, they will obviously be favourites, but they are at a low ebb, I'm hoping we get an early lead, have a strong crowd supporting us and hopefully get over the line.

If we fail to make an Ulster final and play in the Tailtain cup I think Laverty will go 100% to win it. The prize is automatic qualification for Sam Maguire the following season which even promotion next season does not guarantee.

redandblackareback

Promotion was gone with two games to go in a poor league conceding an average of 18 points a game and thank goodness Antrim and Westmeath collapsed at the finishing line or it would have been relegation and yet people are saying we are above the Tailtean Cup.

Saying all that we should beat Donegal in Newry who are at the lowest ebb in their history and not sure any team will ever be as under prepared for an Ulster championship match than them who will be minus Murphy, McBrearty and a Manager.

Truth hurts mentioned Eugene Brannigan had left the panel, hope this is true.

Truth hurts

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 23, 2023, 10:15:37 PM
Promotion was gone with two games to go in a poor league conceding an average of 18 points a game and thank goodness Antrim and Westmeath collapsed at the finishing line or it would have been relegation and yet people are saying we are above the Tailtean Cup.

Saying all that we should beat Donegal in Newry who are at the lowest ebb in their history and not sure any team will ever be as under prepared for an Ulster championship match than them who will be minus Murphy, McBrearty and a Manager.

Truth hurts mentioned Eugene Brannigan had left the panel, hope this is true.

Why do you hope its true ?

No1

QuoteHi Folks!!

It has been no secret that Newry Mitchels have been struggling in recent years, but we continue to try field a competitive team in Division 4. Every passing year this is becoming more and more challenging without a stream of underage players coming into the senior setup.

We would like to encourage anyone interesting in playing football this year to come along on Wednesday evening at the Abbey Grammar School @7pm. Whether you haven't played before, or have been away from the game for a long time and want to get back involved we would love to see you!!

We would be grateful if you could spread this message to anyone you think might be interested, this is going to be a pivotal year in the survival of the club.

We are also looking for people to help with the off field administration, please PM if you have any questions.

Mitchels gone from Div 4 already. 

Truth hurts

Quote from: No1 on March 24, 2023, 09:48:17 AM
QuoteHi Folks!!

It has been no secret that Newry Mitchels have been struggling in recent years, but we continue to try field a competitive team in Division 4. Every passing year this is becoming more and more challenging without a stream of underage players coming into the senior setup.

We would like to encourage anyone interesting in playing football this year to come along on Wednesday evening at the Abbey Grammar School @7pm. Whether you haven't played before, or have been away from the game for a long time and want to get back involved we would love to see you!!

We would be grateful if you could spread this message to anyone you think might be interested, this is going to be a pivotal year in the survival of the club.

We are also looking for people to help with the off field administration, please PM if you have any questions.

Mitchels gone from Div 4 already.

It is sad to see the demise of a club stepped in history.

But....No work at underage though always pays poor dividend in later years. My call for amalgamations will happen down the line and people will say that Truth hurts was right.

No1

Probably should have suggested it within your own club then shouldn't you?

Truth hurts

Quote from: No1 on March 24, 2023, 10:48:59 AM

I have said it for years, Dundrum and Ballykinlar should be amalgamated. And in years to come Ardglass and Kilclief could be too.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 24, 2023, 11:07:26 AM

I have said it for years, Dundrum and Ballykinlar should be amalgamated. And in years to come Ardglass and Kilclief could be too.

Ballykinlar players had the chance but went to Finn, St John's and Ardglass instead

Truth hurts

Karl Lacey heading back to  Donegal underage, that is a big blow to the Magpies. Mussen and Johnston will stay for the season now .

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 24, 2023, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 24, 2023, 11:07:26 AM

Ballykinlar players had the chance but went to Finn, St John's and Ardglass instead

Ballykinlar approached these clubs for amalgamation? Seems strange given the locations.

Lecale Gael

Mitchell's gone seriously ? Flip me then the fixtures need redone for div 4 yes ?
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Mourne Red

Quote from: Lecale Gael on March 25, 2023, 08:37:34 AM
Mitchell's gone seriously ? Flip me then the fixtures need redone for div 4 yes ?

Teams will just get a bye the week they are meant to play them.. Has happened over the years when Kinlar, Killyleagh and Mitchell's struggled to field before