Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2008, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 11:43:17 AM
IHC final on Saturday in Downpatrick, Liatroim v Portaferry. I'd expect Liatroim to win this. Ports will be missing Dule & Eamon Adair from their semi final win over Newry Shamrocks. Liatoim have improved this year and if they win on Saturday could give Ulster a run.

Are you refereeing it Bacon or have you retired from that?

Mowglie is the referee. No better man!!

Aye, at least he lets it go a bit unlike the walking rule book who got a ribbing by Ger Lock down in Croker in the interprovincial final.

He's hung up the red referees jersey I hear!

8)

Liatroim v Portaferry in the IHC final has been moved to Kilclief on Sunday at 1.00. Liatroim to win by 4-5 points but they haven't played a match for a month so they could be rusty.

Whacker

Quote from: guevara on September 24, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
What I mean T O'Hare is yes boys like Conor Garvey and Shane O'Hare are good players but its easy to look good in a good team. I think boys like this would be better being told to concentrate on club football until they are ready to cahllenge for places, not just make up a squad list!
To often this has happened ann promising young players come out of a season with the county with basically a year wasted. No county football and very little club football under there belts

People may argue that being with the county is a benefit to young player through dietary & training advice but so many good young players have lost out on critical years of development in terms of playing football from being 29th or 30th man for the county

Would go out on a limb and say Conor Garvey has being one of the players of the championship and Down seriously needs lads like this on their team never mind the squad! Has played in at least 3 different positions this year and has never looked out of place.   Cool and composed on the ball, strong runner and very good fielder, he has all the attributes to make it at this level.  Think you's boys need to worry about alot more things than bringing Conor Garvey onto the panel or not.

thewobbler

Garvey is a fine player, but I've a funny feeling he would be a more effective forward than defender at county level - and I don't know if he'd be a better forward than the 6-8 regulars already in the forward line. Certainly i wouldn't consider him a better option for the the full-back line than his teammates Barry and Grant.

The Corporal

Heard again last night lads that another Shamrocks player got the call - Kieran Courtney, the county hurler! Also Jason Brown of Clonduff got the call aswell. Would also go as far as to say that realistically the only new player that will have a good chance of starting come championship is Kevin Duffin imo

Old Bill

Quote from: Whacker on September 25, 2008, 08:36:43 AM
Quote from: guevara on September 24, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
What I mean T O'Hare is yes boys like Conor Garvey and Shane O'Hare are good players but its easy to look good in a good team. I think boys like this would be better being told to concentrate on club football until they are ready to cahllenge for places, not just make up a squad list!
To often this has happened ann promising young players come out of a season with the county with basically a year wasted. No county football and very little club football under there belts

People may argue that being with the county is a benefit to young player through dietary & training advice but so many good young players have lost out on critical years of development in terms of playing football from being 29th or 30th man for the county

Would go out on a limb and say Conor Garvey has being one of the players of the championship and Down seriously needs lads like this on their team never mind the squad! Has played in at least 3 different positions this year and has never looked out of place.   Cool and composed on the ball, strong runner and very good fielder, he has all the attributes to make it at this level.  Think you's boys need to worry about alot more things than bringing Conor Garvey onto the panel or not.
Would have to agree wit you there whack.  Definitely gave Hughes his fill of it in the semi v saval in the full back line and has played well any time i have seen him in the half back line. The likes of Simpson, Courtney and Anderson wouldn cut it at county level IMHO. The likes of Garvey, Duffin and maybe Brown could do.  Colgan remains a enigma to me!

Whitehair

QuoteLiatroim v Portaferry in the IHC final has been moved to Kilclief on Sunday at 1.00. Liatroim to win by 4-5 points but they haven't played a match for a month so they could be rusty.

We played Liatroim about 3 weeks ago, they had a few injuries, lads in casts and on crutches.
Ballela play Naomh Colmcille from Tyrone in the Ulster Junior Hurling Championship in Newry @ 12 on Sunday.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2008, 04:26:35 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2008, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: Bacon on September 23, 2008, 11:43:17 AM
IHC final on Saturday in Downpatrick, Liatroim v Portaferry. I'd expect Liatroim to win this. Ports will be missing Dule & Eamon Adair from their semi final win over Newry Shamrocks. Liatoim have improved this year and if they win on Saturday could give Ulster a run.

Are you refereeing it Bacon or have you retired from that?

Mowglie is the referee. No better man!!

Aye, at least he lets it go a bit unlike the walking rule book who got a ribbing by Ger Lock down in Croker in the interprovincial final.

He's hung up the red referees jersey I hear!

8)

Loughnanne was out of order what he said. It was just because Deccy's from Ulster. Typical snobish behaviour from Loughnane.

loughnane certainly likes the sound of his own voice and apart from the goal/no goal which Gouzer missed as opposed to Deccy, a mistake anyone could have made he was right about the 'general play' which was stop start all the way through. Common sense needs to be applied and Deccy can be a bit lacking in that.

Bacon,
      has Deccy hung up the famed red jersey which Mowglie can't get his hands on unless he steals it out of Deccys bag?

Bitta-Banter

I think there should be some sort of inquiry held into the amount of Shamrocks men gettin called into this county squad.No-one can deny that if ur from Shamrocks you've got a better chance of gettin on the panel than if ur from any other club.If they have so many good players why are they not leading division2?why are they not in the intermediate final?

Down Gael

Its obviously DJs influence at work here. Hugh Davey played a few club games this year. I couldnt say he was motm in any of them, but I feel he is there on "potential". I would keep Kevin McGuigan and D Raff on the panel.

maldini

There's a wee place outside Crossgar called Darragh Cross which has been overlooked for county panellists for years now!

T O Hare

Quote from: heighway on September 24, 2008, 10:40:22 PM
talkin to some Bridge men today reckon at least 8 pts in it, cant decide if their confident or arrogant! ??? ??? ???

Thats your first post Heighway!!! i think your winding, eberyone in the Bridge knows this is going to be a tough one, Loughinland are physically stronger than us, its going to be a battle, championships are never won easily!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

johnneycool

Quote from: maldini on September 25, 2008, 12:07:53 PM
There's a wee place outside Crossgar called Darragh Cross which has been overlooked for county panellists for years now!

tom McMahon was on the senior panel for a good few years, is he not from Darragh?

guevara

Does McGourty not line out for Darragh Cross???

ANOTHER Shamrocks man is a disgrace and proves the "Its all who you know" theory with regard to county selection. Ive seen K Courtney play this year and he is anonymous in games. How are guys like this being called up???

I'll update you all more after our weekend game with Shamrocks that I'm heading to watch!! Somehow I cant see headlines being about Kieran Courtney!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

SQUAREBALL

Is Packie Downey back on the panel??

Maiden1

Quote from: western exile on September 24, 2008, 08:42:38 PM
Quote from: the derg on September 24, 2008, 05:32:59 PM
kevin anderson has only played a handful of games for aghaderg this year he has been playing in the states over the summer he did not play in semi final of junior championship yet was there watching .... is he good enough ? he deserves a chance i suppose and has talent but would love him to commit more to club as him and rory simpson could take us to top of divisio 3 but the bain of aghaderg is we are a feeder club for bigger clubs ... the farrell bros annaclone john mcareavey chris mcgovern tullylish marty burns (ok he got married and moved) dan strain drumgath etc

That is a bit premature is it not?  If I am not mistaken, you are playing Dromara on Saturday evening, and if you lose you will be consigned to Division 4 for another year.
BTW, will you be at full strength on Sat, with Simpson, Anderson et al available?

I heard from a Dromara player that you where mean't to play them last Saturday and couldn't field a team so Dromara agreed to put the match back a week.  Not a good sign if you's are hoping to get to the top of division 3.
There are no proofs, only opinions.