Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Line Ball

Quote from: Orior on November 29, 2013, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 29, 2013, 08:51:02 PM
Don't want to sound nasty but you're being naive Without wanting to sound disrespectful there is an ex St Colmans lad who entered the school in 6th form and who now allegedly has more Hogan Cup medals than he has O Levels

I was just checking if it happens in other schools. I came across a case where a number of pupils are getting taught on practically a one to one basis. This was a trade off for the school acquiring their gaelic skills. Not only is it wrong, but it detracts from the teaching that other pupils deserve.

I'll tell you a better one than that.  I heard a few years back about a certain Polytecnic University who were providing tuition for 'special' students who were in fear of not getting their A Levels. Interesting

Line Ball

Quote from: Orior on November 29, 2013, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 29, 2013, 08:51:02 PM
Don't want to sound nasty but you're being naive Without wanting to sound disrespectful there is an ex St Colmans lad who entered the school in 6th form and who now allegedly has more Hogan Cup medals than he has O Levels

I was just checking if it happens in other schools. I came across a case where a number of pupils are getting taught on practically a one to one basis. This was a trade off for the school acquiring their gaelic skills. Not only is it wrong, but it detracts from the teaching that other pupils deserve.

Another interesting case.  Who was this?

sam03/05

There is no such thing as a Grammar school nowadays, the vast majority will take pupils at 11 who are getting c and below at the entrance / transfer test.
They have to fill the places simple as that.

orangeman

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 29, 2013, 09:40:54 PM
There is no such thing as a Grammar school nowadays, the vast majority will take pupils at 11 who are getting c and below at the entrance / transfer test.

Bums on seats.

Any craic

Video: See all 3 goals for the SEM in tonight's Danske Bank McCormack Cup Final vs St Pat's Cavan in Emyvale http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on November 30, 2013, 12:49:04 AM
Quote from: sam03/05 on November 29, 2013, 09:40:54 PM

Bums on seats.

Correctamundo and always was if you'd a few quid to sweeten the deal.

Any craic

Maghera won the Derry derby this morning at Ballinascreen versus the Convent in the Corn na nOg Final. See the best two goals here http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

Rawhide

Congrats to St Pats Corn Na Og team on their performance yesterday, and to Martin Mc Connell on managing them. He took the college to the Mac Rory and Hogan Cup.
Here is a very interesting stat and a measure of the strength of underage football in Derry presently. St Pats presently have the Hogan Cup, Mac Rory Cup, Rannafast Cup, Corn Na Og Cup, Dalton Cup and year 8 Cup at the college. That is some achievement
cccc is a true supporter lol

corran

Ulster college all-star trials were held last week.
At one trial 13-aside games were played. Can anyone understand how a fullback or fullforward could have a fair shot at showing what they can do when not played in their chosen position.
Have these positions already been chosen?

NAG1

Quote from: corran on December 09, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
At one trial 13-aside games were played. Can anyone understand how a fullback or fullforward could have a fair shot at showing what they can do when not played in their chosen position.

Never understood the rationale for these trial games, the All Stars should be picked the same as the Senior ones on match performances no?

elk

Quote from: NAG1 on December 09, 2013, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: corran on December 09, 2013, 09:44:31 AM

Never understood the rationale for these trial games, the All Stars should be picked the same as the Senior ones on match performances no?
Would have to agree should be picked on performances throughout the league stages.

CSC

Should they not be awared after the MacRory is over, and based on league and knockout performances.

corran

You wouldn't expect sense or fairness to be present in any selection process that is overseen by the gaa and sponsored by bankers.

Dougal Maguire

My young lad was called for a trial last year. He said it was the worse run farce he ever had the misfortune to be part of
Careful now

elk

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 10, 2013, 08:32:58 PM
My young lad was called for a trial last year. He said it was the worse run farce he ever had the misfortune to be part of
Know a couple of parents who's lads were involved this year who also claim it is a farce and were sorry their lads waste a day out of class.Team mentors at the trials looking after the interests of their own lads with strategic team selection/positioning to ensure their lads look better if playing against or for the team their in charge off. What's the point of the trials if it's not an even playing field?