People from the 6 counties (our wee country)

Started by 02, June 21, 2011, 08:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred nationality? (Choose one)

British
European
Irish
Northern Irish

I was thinking about this after reading the US Open thread and how some "young people" define their nationality as Northern Irish.  I don't consider myself young but I am happy to identify myself as being Northern Irish.  I have a healthy dislike of both British nationality (as manifested by Loyalist/Unionists in NI) and Irish nationality (as manifested by people in the ROI who left their fellow nationalists to suffer in NI and who totally sold out to consumer culture from the early 1990s).
O'Neills Therapist

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Nally Stand

my opinion, for what it's worth:

I have zero attachment to any kind of British identity and the six counties to me is a statelet which was set up on a sectarian basis and to which I never ever have nor ever will feel any shred of allegience. It is symbolised by it's attachment to Britain (see my first sentence), by a flag I have no respect or affinity towards, by an OWC mindset which is alien to me, by it's supposed position as part of a foreign woman's 'kingdom' and by an identity crisis where on any given day, someone who feels an allegience to it will refer to it one minute as a country, then as a state, then as a region, then as a province...etc etc

My flag is Green, White and Orange, my games are Gaelic, my Christened names are Irish, my music of choice is Irish folk. None of these things are intrinsically "northern Irish". They are intrinsically Irish.

Many other countries have their Patriots, just as Ireland has. In many countries these Patriots are remembered with honesty. I could never allow myself to claim to honour Irelands many generations of fallen Patriots and simultaneously claim to have any allegience to any partitioned off region of Ireland which lies under British jurisdiction.

Someone who claims to be nationalist/republican but says they are now comfortable to be "northern Irish" in my view are simply getting sucked into what the British Government referred to as 'normalisation'. That is a trap I have to intention of falling into.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Eamonnca1

I'm happy to recognise the existence of the 6 county* state for the time being since you can't really have a civil society if the people don't recognise the institutions of government. But I'm never going to subscribe to this far-fetched idea that the northern state is some sort of nation or distinct entity with its own identity. It's an artificial gerrymandered constituency which was built on the basis of sectarian supremacism, to create a little homeland for the ruling class. My nationality is Irish, my passport is Irish, my name is Irish, and my identity is Irish. Every time I see this "Northern Irish" monicker it makes me bristle. There's no such thing.

* The counties in the north were abolished in the 1970s, but their identities live on in popular culture and are kept alive most notably by the GAA.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Myles Na G.

My wife and I are both Belfast born. My nationality is Irish, not Northern Irish. My wife's nationality is British, not Northern Irish. Politically it's the one thing we agree on, that there's no such thing as 'Northern Irish' when it comes to nationality. That's a different thing from saying that there's no such place, or that it has no right to exist.

Cold tea

Cold tea

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 21, 2011, 10:46:27 PM
My wife and I are both Belfast born. My nationality is Irish, not Northern Irish. My wife's nationality is British, not Northern Irish. Politically it's the one thing we agree on, that there's no such thing as 'Northern Irish' when it comes to nationality. That's a different thing from saying that there's no such place, or that it has no right to exist.

It's amazing, your nationality is defined by your passport - so what are 70% or Americans who don't have a passport!!!!!!!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Cold tea on June 21, 2011, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 21, 2011, 10:46:27 PM

It's amazing, your nationality is defined by your passport - so what are 70% or Americans who don't have a passport!!!!!!!!
Ask someone who used that as a definition. The word "passport" doesn't appear anywhere in Myles's post.

Cold tea

But if you are caught in a situation abroad, it governs what nationality you are!!! Do we need lessons, or are you still happily appeasing your funny boss!!!

boojangles

Quote from: 02 on June 21, 2011, 08:49:09 PM
I was thinking about this after reading the US Open thread and how some "young people" define their nationality as Northern Irish.  I don't consider myself young but I am happy to identify myself as being Northern Irish.  I have a healthy dislike of both British nationality (as manifested by Loyalist/Unionists in NI) and Irish nationality (as manifested by people in the ROI who left their fellow nationalists to suffer in NI and who totally sold out to consumer culture from the early 1990s).

What age are you and what is consumer culture?

Cold tea

lmao 02 I thought was his year of birth.  :D

Milltown Row2

Who gives a fcuk what you are?

And why should you really care?

No one stops me from living the life I want to live (wife tries :D :D), go for the jobs I want or express the views I have.

If we continue to get hung up on this then it will only wear you down.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dún Dún

Consider myself Irish, born and raised in Belfast but all my grandparents are from the ROI. So an immigrant of sorts. Wouldn't say I'm northern Irish rather from the north of Ireland.

No religion from birth, but a nationalist/republican by choice.

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: Dún Dún on June 21, 2011, 11:40:25 PM
Consider myself Irish, born and raised in Belfast but all my grandparents are from the ROI. So an immigrant of sorts. Wouldn't say I'm northern Irish rather from the north of Ireland.

No religion from birth, but a nationalist/republican by choice.

an immigrant? are you taking the piss?