The why do Kerry players get away with Blue Murder thread

Started by haveaharp, July 05, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

I'd like to hear your views on this.

O Se yesterday gets away with 2 elbow/forearm smashes to Stephen Kellys head. Not only does the ref do nothing the pundits commentating gloss over it like it was nothing. Same thing in All Ireland final last year. Tadgh Kennelly straight in with the elbow in the first 10 seconds, should have been straight red. Galvins constant knavery is another example, the pundits gloss over it with words like great competitor, putting you hand inside another mans mouth and trying to rip his face is not being a great competitor its being a tr**p. My point is that other counties get labelled as negative or downright dirty when Kerry seem to have this myth surrounding them that they are clean and whiter than white. Come on RTE grow a set and show/tell it as it is.

The Konica

The reason O'Se's was glossed over last night was that the Sunday Game will be accused of an anti-Kerry witch hunt if it dragged that one up.

I don't see any other reason for it.

I don't think Kerry are a particularly dirty team, though they all know how to cross the line and do so often enough.

AZOffaly

Stupid thread. Paul Galvin has been suspended more often than he's been playing in the last few years. Tomás O'Sé will get his punishment this week.

We can't give out about the TV getting players suspended (See Harte, M.) on one hand, and then roar at them to make a song and dance about another.

Last night's treatment of O'Sé and O'Hara was fair enough, left enough room for doubt with the CCCCCCCCCCCCC.

haveaharp

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 09:30:41 AM
Stupid thread. Paul Galvin has been suspended more often than he's been playing in the last few years. Tomás O'Sé will get his punishment this week.

We can't give out about the TV getting players suspended (See Harte, M.) on one hand, and then roar at them to make a song and dance about another.

Last night's treatment of O'Sé and O'Hara was fair enough, left enough room for doubt with the CCCCCCCCCCCCC.

Whats stupid about it ? I genuinely feel their actions get glossed over more than any other county while the pundits have a collective orgasm every time the gooch or Donaghy throw themselves on the ground to win a free.

AZOffaly

Whatever about the ooohing and aaahing whenever Gooch kicks a free, it's nuts to say they don't get suspensions etc.
Sure Galvin is the enfant terrible of the GAA.

haveaharp

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 09:42:05 AM
Whatever about the ooohing and aaahing whenever Gooch kicks a free, it's nuts to say they don't get suspensions etc.
Sure Galvin is the enfant terrible of the GAA.

What suspension did Kennelly get for his elbow in the AIF ?

AZOffaly

Jinxy

I'm getting a bit tired of the language that's thrown around in the aftermath of every controversial incident nowadays.
"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.
You'd swear half the lads here had never played the game.
By all means players need to be punished for aggressive/violent acts on the field but we don't need to go down the route of condemning players as human beings.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2010, 09:51:24 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of the language that's thrown around in the aftermath of every controversial incident nowadays.
"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.
By all means players need to be punished for aggressive/violent acts on the field but we don't need to go down the route of condemning players as human beings.

+1

AZOffaly

"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.

Well said jinxy. Imagine if Liam Harnan and Mick Lyons played now? Liveline would be choc full of aul women looking for them to get jail.

As you said, bad acts if spotted need to be punished, but we go too far with the outrage these days.

spuds

"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.
++++++++
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

haveaharp

"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.

Ive played plenty and i can call it dirt when i see it.
AZ reckons O Se will get his punishment this week, no he wont. The punishment should have been a straight red, in which case Limerick could have won the game. After the event is not good enough.

AZOffaly

That's a moot point haveaharp (whether Limerick would have won) but O'Sé should have got the line (probably 3 times!). However, his punishment if he got the line would have been a month, plus one game. I fully expect him to get a month plus one game at least.

I take your point about it being unsatisfactory in that you would prefer the ref to cop it and take the action real time, but sure there's loads of instances like that, you can't legislate for bad refereeing or missed incidents. All you can do is try to address it as soon as possible.

Although in fairness Fox was so bad yesterday, when the CCCC send him the DVD to 'consider his decision', he might say he was correct :D

haveaharp

Is it time to use todays technology and have a ref behind a monitor with a radio link to the ref on the pitch ? Too many poor decisions are directly affecting the outcome.

AZOffaly

Quote from: haveaharp on July 05, 2010, 10:08:56 AM
Is it time to use todays technology and have a ref behind a monitor with a radio link to the ref on the pitch ? Too many poor decisions are directly affecting the outcome.

For that type of incident, I don't think so.. Those were very clear cut, but a lot of them would be subjective. One man's opinion would be different on the Eamon O'Hara incident, for example. So who is the actual referee? I'd agree with instant replay for points/wides etc, but not for 'opinion' judgments.