Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2022, 08:52:23 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 16, 2022, 08:11:45 AM
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

He seems like a grumpy old cnut so he'll keep his distance legal when passing cyclists next time

Exactly. He had chances to avoid court and fines but ignored them. Hopefully he appeals and fails that too.

grounded

I see British Cycling had to backtrack after stating
     "British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week. Once published, we will share the details of those timings on this page."
      They later removed this guidance. Unbelievably they're still saying there should be no club rides
      As a mark of respect to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, British Cycling's guidance is that no formal domestic activities should take place on the day of the State Funeral, Monday 19 September. This includes cycle sport events, club rides, coaching sessions and community programmes (such as Breeze rides).
        Lunatics!

illdecide

Thankfully I'm with Cycling Ireland...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Quote from: illdecide on September 15, 2022, 09:10:29 AM
Thankfully I'm with Cycling Ireland...

Every club north and south is(i think?) I suppose for those clubs in England/Wales/Scotland will their insurance cover them on Monday?
          Just outlines the ludicrous hyperbole reaction to the funeral.   

illdecide

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 10, 2022, 04:47:51 PM
Wouldn't like to be a cyclist in Dublin

https://www.independent.ie/videos/incredible-dashcam-footage-shows-dublin-bus-driving-on-footpath-and-cycle-lane-42132596.html

Nothing surprises me anymore regarding motorists and traffic. Ireland was always know for it's lackadaisical approach to life and taking it easy but now it's 100mph and people can't get from A to B quick enough, everyone is in a rush with road rage never too far away.
That bus driver is a p***k with so many things that can go wrong there, hope he/she gets what's coming to them.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Anyone cycled Teide before? Thinking of heading to Tenerife with family in April and wouldn't mind giving it a whirl. Reasonable level of fitness and hopefully will be getting more cycling in before I head there. 40 odd km of climbing though, for a heavyweight like me sounds daunting!

markl121

Quote from: grounded on January 09, 2023, 08:58:22 PM
Anyone cycled Teide before? Thinking of heading to Tenerife with family in April and wouldn't mind giving it a whirl. Reasonable level of fitness and hopefully will be getting more cycling in before I head there. 40 odd km of climbing though, for a heavyweight like me sounds daunting!
Haven't done it myself but had planned to in 2020 before covid. My old boss has done it though, fairly steady climb over decent roads, some have described it as dull but compared to our climbs Id imagine it unreal. Even if you just climb as far as you can each day then just turn round and cruise home down the hill.

bennydorano

Done it 3 or 4 times, went up a couple of different ways from Los Cristianos direction. It's mostly  a good steady climb of 7 or 8%, few spots where it hits 10 or 11% for very short stretches, if you're in half decent shape it's straightforward- as long as you're mentally tough!  it is 25m or so straight up, with only a bit of a drop down into the caldera (you think it's over at the Teide National Park sign but its not) before you're climbing again, the last few miles inside the caldera to the peak are pretty tough mentally, that climb out of the caldera to go home is pretty painful too - then you've a 20 oddmile descent to look forward to. 

The hire bikes all have climbing gears. Have used Bikepoint & Free Motion for bike hire, both pretty good, book from wherever is closest to your hotel.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2023, 10:41:58 PM
Done it 3 or 4 times, went up a couple of different ways from Los Cristianos direction. It's mostly  a good steady climb of 7 or 8%, few spots where it hits 10 or 11% for very short stretches, if you're in half decent shape it's straightforward- as long as you're mentally tough!  it is 25m or so straight up, with only a bit of a drop down into the caldera (you think it's over at the Teide National Park sign but its not) before you're climbing again, the last few miles inside the caldera to the peak are pretty tough mentally, that climb out of the caldera to go home is pretty painful too - then you've a 20 oddmile descent to look forward to. 

The hire bikes all have climbing gears. Have used Bikepoint & Free Motion for bike hire, both pretty good, book from wherever is closest to your hotel.

Brilliant stuff. How long roughly were those spins from Los Christianos Benny as that's the general area we will be in? Did you need a gillet/jacket for the spin back down? I've managed a few of the bigger climbs around Mallorca and managed to drag myself up them albeit very slowly.
       None have obviously been as continuously as long, but I'm nothing if not stubborn.

bennydorano

Quote from: grounded on January 10, 2023, 01:24:30 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2023, 10:41:58 PM

Brilliant stuff. How long roughly were those spins from Los Christianos Benny as that's the general area we will be in? Did you need a gillet/jacket for the spin back down? I've managed a few of the bigger climbs around Mallorca and managed to drag myself up them albeit very slowly.
       None have obviously been as continuously as long, but I'm nothing if not stubborn.

Was looking at my Strava data there, 78m but that was always us going the long way home. Straight up from Los Cristianos via La Camela, Arona, Vilaflor and back down the same route would be 55 or so. This is also the best route IMO, have went back down via a town called Chio which was very boring. You can also go from La Camela to Granadilla - Vilaflor to top for 69m which was my favourite way to top.

Some chance the descent with gilet & arm warmers, I take the raincoat as I'm a cowl champ & long finger gloves, we got drizzle for a bit last January going up & down and it can be pretty 🥶

I can pm you a Strava spin or 2 if you want a look? no records were broken!

bennydorano

10 of us heading to Gran Canaria this weekend. Pico De Las Neves is the Teide equivalent there, never done it before, more up and down than Teide apparently.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2023, 02:12:36 PM
10 of us heading to Gran Canaria this weekend. Pico De Las Neves is the Teide equivalent there, never done it before, more up and down than Teide apparently.

Enjoy!

bennydorano

Did the Pico climb, that would tighten you :( much harder than Teide imo, altho there was a lot more up and down which some of our crowd liked but doesn't really suit me tbh, from half way up there was a significant increase in the % gradient, sat at 11-15% for miles. Could only do so much in the 4 days we were there but think there are a lot more interesting climbs there to he done, one brute called the Valley of Tears.