"Anxious wait for some as Moriarty report nears publication"

Started by Zapatista, January 14, 2010, 07:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

At best he can be censured by The Dáil! He can only be forced from his seat by being convicted of a criminal offence with a penalty of in excess of 6 months jail or being declared bankrupt.

Otherwise he's there until at least the next election!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2011, 01:52:00 PM
Quote from: highorlow on March 22, 2011, 01:49:30 PM
Lowry should be locked up.

He has some neck on him now saying the report (cost €100m) is not based on fact and the report is wrong.

He is a disgrace.

I can't believe our tax is paying his wages.

If he believes that he should sue.
He says he will "challenge its veracity".

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Thank fck there is no longer a government beholding to him.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

baoithe

The big issue here is corporate donations to a political party during its term of office in government by a company (but really O'Brien) to which a licence for a state contract was awarded and the basis on which such award was made has been deemed to be resulting from corruption.

The timeline in the IT today shows alot of shifting of money around by FG party men - its reminiscent of Charlie:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0323/1224292847492.html

We'll have the Mahon report in a few months. FF I'd imagine will be somewhat muted when thats released which leaves us with SF to take the high ground. Dear God.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: baoithe on March 23, 2011, 09:15:07 AM
The big issue here is corporate donations to a political party during its term of office in government by a company (but really O'Brien) to which a licence for a state contract was awarded and the basis on which such award was made has been deemed to be resulting from corruption.

The timeline in the IT today shows alot of shifting of money around by FG party men - its reminiscent of Charlie:

We'll have the Mahon report in a few months. FF I'd imagine will be somewhat muted when thats released which leaves us with SF to take the high ground. Dear God.

Have read that timeline a few times now, I see the money getting to a man called David Austin & Micheal Lowery.

baoithe

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 23, 2011, 10:52:20 AM

Have read that timeline a few times now, I see the money getting to a man called David Austin & Micheal Lowery.

David Austin was a FG fundraiser.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

"Moriarty Report to be sent to DPP, gardaí

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has asked the Minister for Communications to forward the Moriarty Report to the DPP and Garda Commissioner."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0323/moriarty.html

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2011, 11:44:17 AM
Ben Dunne gets his wish :D

He is some clown, great craic, but a clown. Was that his gym chain that went into receivership last week?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

muppet

Pretty damning article. Tax evasion and non-declarations should be easy enough to pin on him. Corruption will be more difficult but I really hope they can prove it.
MWWSI 2017

baoithe

Quote from: muppet on March 23, 2011, 12:18:31 PM

Pretty damning article. Tax evasion and non-declarations should be easy enough to pin on him. Corruption will be more difficult but I really hope they can prove it.

I believe he has already been informed that no proceedings will arise in respect of tax irregularities. That may be incorrect but I believe it to be the case. As for the corruption side of things, I think any prosecution will be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Anyway, we all knew what the outcome of this Tribunal would be and one has to wonder why a man such as Lowry is repeatedly elected to the Dail. And indeed other corrupt politicians before him.

As I said though, it appears that senior FG advisors and supporters were aware of donations to the party and the way the $50k donation was handled appeared evasive at best. Bruton supposedly ordered its return but that was much later and seems to be an attempt to minimise the impact on the party from the fallout of Lowry's dealings.

muppet

Quote from: baoithe on March 23, 2011, 01:00:58 PM

I believe he has already been informed that no proceedings will arise in respect of tax irregularities. That may be incorrect but I believe it to be the case. As for the corruption side of things, I think any prosecution will be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Anyway, we all knew what the outcome of this Tribunal would be and one has to wonder why a man such as Lowry is repeatedly elected to the Dail. And indeed other corrupt politicians before him.

As I said though, it appears that senior FG advisors and supporters were aware of donations to the party and the way the $50k donation was handled appeared evasive at best. Bruton supposedly ordered its return but that was much later and seems to be an attempt to minimise the impact on the party from the fallout of Lowry's dealings.

Bertie set the terms of reference for these Tribunals. They will achieve very little as a result.

Whatever about senior FG figures knowing something, at least they booted him out of the party a long time ago. Ahern, Pee Flynn and co were never removed.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on March 23, 2011, 01:06:45 PM

Bertie set the terms of reference for these Tribunals. They will achieve very little as a result.

Whatever about senior FG figures knowing something, at least they booted him out of the party a long time ago. Ahern, Pee Flynn and co were never removed.

The details of the event were passed on unsolicited under the instructions of the leader of the day Micheal Noonan to the Tribunal.

The Tribunal also found that then Minister Lowery was the only member of the cabinate to bear any cabinate responsibility.

Micheal Lowery was ejected from the party immediately.

The 50K aquired by the pair of rogue members was returned.

baoithe

Quote from: muppet on March 23, 2011, 01:06:45 PM

Agree re FF not removing their sinners. Its a disgrace. Don't get what you mean re Terms of Reference though. They set out what the Tribunals can investigate but do not impact on the findings or the powers of the Tribunals. Tribunals have pretty much no teeth regardless, apart from putting the truth out into the public domain. In any case, the terms of reference for Moriarty were quite broad.