All Ireland Club Championships - Final Stages

Started by drici, January 10, 2010, 10:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 19, 2010, 11:28:20 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 17, 2010, 11:50:12 PM
Gall's just far too good. I predicted that they could beat them by 15 points and was lambasted for it. Well they should have won by 15. Kilmurry were delighted to be in the final, Gall's actually wanted to win it. They're the best club team I've seen and have the ability to win one or two more All-Irelands if they have the drive.

Fair play to the Galls well done but honestly"the best club team I've seen".
Crossmaglen Rangers?

definitely. was at the 2000 club final when cross beat na fianna and i remember a few tyrone ones in the row behind me saying that crossmaglen would have beaten tyrone that day.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 04:44:09 PM
Yes. I hope that he and Kevin both wise up and return to the County fold, where they have much to offer and can forge great careers, and who knows, maybe even more significant medals than they got yesterday

This is as good as it gets... a senior club All Ireland... you not a club man Tony?

Celt_Man

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 20, 2010, 01:32:42 AM
Yes. I hope that he and Kevin both wise up and return to the County fold, where they have much to offer and can forge great careers, and who knows, maybe even more significant medals than they got yesterday

This is as good as it gets... a senior club All Ireland... you not a club man Tony?
Yea surely there can be no greater feeling... winning an all ireland with your family and neighbours and lads you have always played with... must be an amazing feeling
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 20, 2010, 01:32:42 AM

Jesus Tony.....

You know what, just go back to supporting Celtic and Spurs. You obviously know nothing about what it is to belong to the GAA.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Go easy on Tony lads
County would mean more to him as he hasnt really got a club.
Neither the 'Pass nor Portydown mean anything to him so the biggest affiliation he has is with the county

Lorcs

Is there something wrong with standing respectfully in silence whilst the National Anthem is played...? Is that not preferable to jumping in and cherring on your team before the anthem is even finished? As a northern gael and St. Galls man, without a word of Irish in me, do you want me to hum along?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Lorcs on March 20, 2010, 10:49:19 AM
Is there something wrong with standing respectfully in silence whilst the National Anthem is played...? Is that not preferable to jumping in and cherring on your team before the anthem is even finished? As a northern gael and St. Galls man, without a word of Irish in me, do you want me to hum along?

Don't want you to do anything... poor form you don't know the national anthem in Irish but a you are All Ireland champions I sure it is the least of your worries. Congrats!!

Lorcs

Poor form?

As a product of the northern educational system, not having had the opportunity/obligation to study Irish in primary school, and having chosen Spanish as a 2nd foreign language (French was obligatory) at the age of 13, I am unable to speak more than a few set phrases or Irish, and understand none (despite having 2 southern parents). Whilst from a cultural viewpoint I would like to be able to speak Irish, I decided at that time that it was of little practical use, and passed on the chance to start learning it. If the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Madrid ever gets around to offering classes with a more reasonable timetable, it's something I would think seriously about doing...

I could sing along phonetically, as I've heard it more times than I can remember and know the words well enough, but the fact that I don't understand the meaning of each of the individual words makes it a bit of a meaningless exercise.

The point that I was trying to make in my first post is, what is the/Tony's problem with people respectfully standing whilst the anthem is played and/or sung?

orangeman

Paidi O'Se really enjoyed the St Galls v Kilmurry game : NOT !!

Sunday March 21 2010

MY tolerance threshold for bullshit football is lower than ever after the St Patrick's Day travesty of the All-Ireland club final between St Gall's and Kilmurry Ibrickane.

To say that the farcical football on show spoiled my afternoon's television viewing would be an understatement. Neither team had much in the way of real football talent, which is perhaps the reason they insisted on playing the short game, at which they were both a long way from being masters.

I saw only two players who could kick a ball, the St Gall's midfielder Aodhan Gallagher and their wing-forward, Simon Downes. They were the only ones who gave any indication of being able to kick the ball over the bar from 30 yards or more.

Tyrone are the masters of the short game, but it must never be forgotten that they spend many, many hours on the practice pitch drilling themselves in the moves. Mickey Harte is a genius in this aspect of the game and he's a perfectionist on the training ground.

Watching the St Patrick's Day fiasco, I found myself yearning for the days when forwards of the calibre of Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke could be guaranteed to get a handful of points from play with kicks from 40 yards or more.

It is absurd for other teams, lacking the talent and the appetite for hard work that Tyrone possess, to try to imitate the style. It ends up in an inglorious muddle. The more I see of this rubbish, the more I am inclined to go back to basics and to remember once more that Kerry's great strength is their ability as kickers.

As long as they have forwards like Kieran Donaghy, Colm Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan, who can point it from 40 yards or more, with players such as Seamus Scanlon and Micheal Quirke coming through from midfield, and backs of the calibre of Tom O'Sullivan, Marc ó Sé and Aidan O'Mahony who would die rather than let anyone past them, Kerry must not be ruled out this year.

Right now, Declan O'Sullivan is probably the best footballer in the country -- he is pure class and he has got there because he has kept good habits on the training ground. I trust the Kerry management will keep him on the 40 and not let him go too deep. With a good supply from midfield, the aerial advantage of Donaghy and Cooper will be hard to beat.

The Kerry management has no need to do a course in motivational skills at the moment -- there are three or four places up for grabs and there are plenty of good players hungry for those places, so everyone is on their toes.

Kerry's joust against Mayo in Tralee today will be a hard one to call. The only teams I can see shaping up to the Munster duo of Kerry and Cork this year are Mayo and Dublin. In fact, I'll go further -- I don't think Dublin truly have it in them and if there is to be a new holder of the Sam Maguire this year, my guess is it will be either Mayo or Cork. So even though Kerry have been on a good run -- and last week's win was a notable one -- I think Mayo could well turn them over today.

Having said that, the National League is proving to be a valuable contest with plenty of competitive and entertaining matches.

There are some interesting newcomers coming through in Kerry, two of whom shone in last weekend's surprise U21 victory over Cork in Tralee.

I've already tipped Johnny Buckley of the Crokes as a player with a future, and Paul Geaney is one of those rare occurrences in west Kerry (Dara ó Cinnéide excepted) who can kick a good score from play.

Sunday Independent

saffron sam2

Quote from: Lorcs on March 20, 2010, 06:00:35 PM
Poor form?

As a product of the northern educational system, not having had the opportunity/obligation to study Irish in primary school, and having chosen Spanish as a 2nd foreign language (French was obligatory) at the age of 13, I am unable to speak more than a few set phrases or Irish, and understand none (despite having 2 southern parents). Whilst from a cultural viewpoint I would like to be able to speak Irish, I decided at that time that it was of little practical use, and passed on the chance to start learning it. If the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Madrid ever gets around to offering classes with a more reasonable timetable, it's something I would think seriously about doing...

Dear oh dear.

Quote from: orangeman on March 21, 2010, 07:53:37 PM

Sunday March 21 2010

MY tolerance threshold for bullshit football is lower than ever after the St Patrick's Day travesty of the All-Ireland club final between St Gall's and Kilmurry Ibrickane.

To say that the farcical football on show spoiled my afternoon's television viewing would be an understatement. Neither team had much in the way of real football talent, which is perhaps the reason they insisted on playing the short game, at which they were both a long way from being masters.

I saw only two players who could kick a ball, the St Gall's midfielder Aodhan Gallagher and their wing-forward, Simon Downes. They were the only ones who gave any indication of being able to kick the ball over the bar from 30 yards or more.

I'm thinking Paidi is the one bull shitting. I don't think Downes touched leather for St. Gall's.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orangeman

As well as that SS Aodhan Gallagher wouldn't be the best kicker in the team. There's lots of boys who are very accurate kick passers.

gallsman

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 21, 2010, 08:18:23 PM
Quote from: Lorcs on March 20, 2010, 06:00:35 PM
Poor form?

Dear oh dear.

Rathmore teaches Irish as a foreign language, why the "oh dear?"

QuoteDon't want you to do anything... poor form you don't know the national anthem in Irish

How many people know the anthem in English, the language it was originally written in?

Surely if you don't know the words, silence is the best form of respect.

Onion Bag

Gallsman,

what has Bishop from Armagh got to do with your outfit?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

gallsman

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 22, 2010, 01:49:30 PM
Gallsman,

what has Bishop from Armagh got to do with your outfit?

Sent you a PM.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: orangeman on March 21, 2010, 07:53:37 PM

Sunday March 21 2010

Tyrone are the masters of the short game, but it must never be forgotten that they spend many, many hours on the practice pitch drilling themselves in the moves. Mickey Harte is a genius in this aspect of the game and he's a perfectionist on the training ground.

Watching the St Patrick's Day fiasco, I found myself yearning for the days when forwards of the calibre of Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke could be guaranteed to get a handful of points from play with kicks from 40 yards or more.

It is absurd for other teams, lacking the talent and the appetite for hard work that Tyrone possess, to try to imitate the style. It ends up in an inglorious muddle. The more I see of this rubbish, the more I am inclined to go back to basics and to remember once more that Kerry's great strength is their ability as kickers.

As long as they have forwards like Kieran Donaghy, Colm Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan, who can point it from 40 yards or more, with players such as Seamus Scanlon and Micheal Quirke coming through from midfield, and backs of the calibre of Tom O'Sullivan, Marc ó Sé and Aidan O'Mahony who would die rather than let anyone past them, Kerry must not be ruled out this year.

Right now, Declan O'Sullivan is probably the best footballer in the country -- he is pure class and he has got there because he has kept good habits on the training ground. I trust the Kerry management will keep him on the 40 and not let him go too deep. With a good supply from midfield, the aerial advantage of Donaghy and Cooper will be hard to beat.

The Kerry management has no need to do a course in motivational skills at the moment -- there are three or four places up for grabs and there are plenty of good players hungry for those places, so everyone is on their toes.

Kerry's joust against Mayo in Tralee today will be a hard one to call. The only teams I can see shaping up to the Munster duo of Kerry and Cork this year are Mayo and Dublin. In fact, I'll go further -- I don't think Dublin truly have it in them and if there is to be a new holder of the Sam Maguire this year, my guess is it will be either Mayo or Cork. So even though Kerry have been on a good run -- and last week's win was a notable one -- I think Mayo could well turn them over today.

Having said that, the National League is proving to be a valuable contest with plenty of competitive and entertaining matches.

There are some interesting newcomers coming through in Kerry, two of whom shone in last weekend's surprise U21 victory over Cork in Tralee.

I've already tipped Johnny Buckley of the Crokes as a player with a future, and Paul Geaney is one of those rare occurrences in west Kerry (Dara ó Cinnéide excepted) who can kick a good score from play.

Sunday Independent

never seen donaghy kick a 40 yard pass in my life. his whole game is catching and laying off ball to runners!!! yes if he catches a ball on the square he'll turn and shoot, thats what basketballers do!!! I can safely say the Naomh Gall wont give a toss about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea