Terraces on Hill 16 to go

Started by longrunsthefox, December 23, 2009, 09:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Our beloved president promises that the Hill will remain a terrace. Following their capitulation to the GPA and promise that soccer and rugby in Croke park was only temporary until Landsdown Road is rebuilt, is now certain the Hill will be all seated in the near future...   

Hill 16 to remain a terrace, Cooney insists
GAA president Christy Cooney has insisted that Hill 16 will remain as a terrace.
It was revealed earlier this month that the GAA was considering turning the most famous terrace in Irish sport into a seated area in a bid to combat pitch invasions.
Temporary seating has been installed on the terrace for soccer internationals, and some Croke Park officials believe that seating the terrace for GAA matches would reduce the possibility of pitch invasions taking place.
But Cooney stressed: "We have no plans to change Hill 16. The tradition of Hill 16 is as a terrace and that isn't going to change."

Trevor Hill

I was watching a program on TV last night about Liam Mulvihill and I think Croke Park would look a hell of a lot better if they finished the job and made it into an all seater stadium. It looks unfinished at the minute, like its three quarters complete. I know there is a lot of history associated with the hill, but we need to look forward not back.

longrunsthefox

It probably will go all seater eventually. So be it, but when you hear the GAA hierarchy promising they will hold firm to some belief or tradition these days, you can be sure it will be next to go...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Tradition apart, the Hill provides a more affordable alternative for people who might find the prices associated with stand tickets for big games prohibitive. For that reason, as well as the tradition, I think it should be retained.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 23, 2009, 11:44:24 PM
Tradition apart, the Hill provides a more affordable alternative for people might find the prices associated with stand tickets for big games prohibitive. For that reason alone, as well as the tradition, I think it should be retained.

Agree, as the prices for an All ireland Final head inexorably towards a €100 people should have the option of paying a bit less. Haven't been in the hill since the '96 hurling final it
is a hoor of a place with a hangover.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BallyhaiseMan

Hill 16 should never be changed,
Its a GAA treasure.

Zapatista

Tradition apart, the Hill provides a more affordable alternative for people who might find the prices associated with stand tickets for big games prohibitive. For that reason, as well as the tradition, I think it should be retained.

I agree for that reason above the tradition, you can always make a new tradition.

WeeDonns

The one thing that annoys me most about the hill at the moment is the TV studio boxes  breaking it up and then the way the nally side is so narrow.
It would have looked better if they just had the terracing all the way along, with the big screen at the back and put the TV boxes in a corporate box. Obviously there was little they could do about it being so narrow at the nally end because of the train line.

-Just thinking. For GAA matches RTE are in a corporate box but for Rugby and Soccer they are down in those boxes on the hill. Anyone know why:?

INDIANA

Quote from: Zapatista on December 24, 2009, 08:44:36 AM

I agree for that reason above the tradition, you can always make a new tradition.

It should be retained in its current guise in my view. GAA fans are not English soccer hooligans.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2009, 10:43:47 AM

It should be retained in its current guise in my view. GAA fans are not English soccer hooligans.

eh? That has nothing to do with it. The all seaters came into soccer because of the Hillsborough disaster, caused by the policing and stewarting of the match not hooligans. Sure Hill 16 survived the Dubs of the 70s and the Gardai baton charges at them.   

Gnevin

Quote from: Trevor Hill on December 23, 2009, 09:58:34 PM
I was watching a program on TV last night about Liam Mulvihill and I think Croke Park would look a hell of a lot better if they finished the job and made it into an all seater stadium. It looks unfinished at the minute, like its three quarters complete. I know there is a lot of history associated with the hill, but we need to look forward not back.
Arrg major gear grinder . The stadium is finished , we didn't run out of funds or not get planning . The stadium is finished!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 24, 2009, 10:58:33 AM

eh? That has nothing to do with it. The all seaters came into soccer because of the Hillsborough disaster, caused by the policing and stewarting of the match not hooligans. Sure Hill 16 survived the Dubs of the 70s and the Gardai baton charges at them.
A Policing and stewarding culture of overreaction and treating soccer fans as animals caused by the Hooligans who supported the game at the time . Also by fencing installed to directly  too counter Hooligans
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Gnevin on December 24, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 24, 2009, 10:58:33 AM

A Policing and stewarding culture of overreaction and treating soccer fans as animals caused by the Hooligans who supported the game at the time . Also by fencing installed to directly  too counter Hooligans

You've lost me Gnevin...are you talking about the Dublin 'supporters' on the Hill in the 70s and early 80s or soccer supporters?

Donnellys Hollow

Hill 16 is fine the way it is. I can't understand the obsession with all-seater stadiums. If they completed three tiers all the way round it would just look like every other stadium in Europe. The terrace at the Railway End gives the stadium a bit of character and uniqueness.

Its unlikely to ever happen anyway because of the Maynooth line behind the terrace.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2009, 10:45:02 PM
Hill 16 is fine the way it is. I can't understand the obsession with all-seater stadiums. If they completed three tiers all the way round it would just look like every other stadium in Europe. The terrace at the Railway End gives the stadium a bit of character and uniqueness.

Its unlikely to ever happen anyway because of the Maynooth line behind the terrace.

Exactly.