building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quick question, we built a house 5-6 years ago and was told to run Cat 5 cable to all rooms, that it would future proof the house and so on.

So 5 years later, we still haven't done anything with it as most things seem to be going wireless. Is it actually useful and should we be doing anything with it?
I'm in the process of doing up the "good room" and we are moving a couple of sockets as we're putting in built in shelving. We have a roll of this cat 5 sticking out too and was just thinking I'd cut it off and close up the opening. Would I be wrong to do this?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 27, 2023, 03:34:36 PM
Quick question, we built a house 5-6 years ago and was told to run Cat 5 cable to all rooms, that it would future proof the house and so on.

So 5 years later, we still haven't done anything with it as most things seem to be going wireless. Is it actually useful and should we be doing anything with it?
I'm in the process of doing up the "good room" and we are moving a couple of sockets as we're putting in built in shelving. We have a roll of this cat 5 sticking out too and was just thinking I'd cut it off and close up the opening. Would I be wrong to do this?

You can put additional wireless points on the ends of the Cat5 cable, to ensure excellent coverage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on February 27, 2023, 03:56:53 PM

You can put additional wireless points on the ends of the Cat5 cable, to ensure excellent coverage.

How would one go about doing this? As in Wi-Fi boosters?

LC

Do no harm to keep the Cat 5 in, better looking at it than looking for it.  I got Sky Q installed a few weeks ago and even though we have upgraded the broadband through Openreach Sky are saying that for the main box to 'talk' to a smaller box in the upstairs bedroom I will need to connect via Cat 5 as wireless signal internally will not be strong enough.  Pre-cast slabs in the upstairs which is one of the main issues so need to get the spark on board at some stage.

LeoMc

It will depend on how good your wifi is throughout the house. If you have spots with poor coverage you may want boosters and the cat5 is the best way to minimise losses through concrete and steel.
You may also want to consider having a cable running to your tv in the good room, rahther than depend upon the wireless coverage in that room.

trueblue1234

Quote from: LeoMc on February 27, 2023, 06:47:09 PM

It will depend on how good your wifi is throughout the house. If you have spots with poor coverage you may want boosters and the cat5 is the best way to minimise losses through concrete and steel.
You may also want to consider having a cable running to your tv in the good room, rahther than depend upon the wireless coverage in that room.

I have the BT discs in and thankfully have good coverage across the house. But would have tried to use the cat 5. How would I go about linking the cat 5 up with the Wi-Fi. Mines all pulled to the attic. Do I just plug the one in beside the router and that'll link to the rest??

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 27, 2023, 07:41:52 PM

I have the BT discs in and thankfully have good coverage across the house. But would have tried to use the cat 5. How would I go about linking the cat 5 up with the Wi-Fi. Mines all pulled to the attic. Do I just plug the one in beside the router and that'll link to the rest??

Built at a similar time and have the same set up. (Though Cat 6)
All those cables throughout the house go back to the attic, in a small rack.
I have a network switch in the rack as well (Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MKWYN5T?tag=ps-uk-netgear-002-21&ascsubtag=wtbs_63fd214a778dca9483390401&me=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Then from my BT Hub I have a cable going from the back of it, to the Cat 6 port in the wall which goes to the attic, then one from that port into the network switch. 
Any network port around the house you want active for internet you just need to plug a cable from the network switch to the necessary point on the patch panel which leads to the necessary room you need the connection.

The likes of TV/Gaming etc will generally get a better connection with a network cable. 

LeoMc

Similar to Mhic Easmuint, but my internet comes directly into my office and from there it runs through a switch which carries it to the tv's downstairs and to a couple of roof mounted POE boosters around the house.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: LeoMc on February 27, 2023, 09:59:37 PM
Similar to Mhic Easmuint, but my internet comes directly into my office and from there it runs through a switch which carries it to the tv's downstairs and to a couple of roof mounted POE boosters around the house.

Snap but I also have my main Sky box in a cabinet there as well and the signal is sent to the TV in our living room with HDMI over CAT. Keeps the sky box tucked out of sight. If any device is our house has a lan port and is fixed to one place I always go cat cable over wireless.

RedHand88

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 27, 2023, 09:36:14 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 27, 2023, 07:41:52 PM

Built at a similar time and have the same set up. (Though Cat 6)
All those cables throughout the house go back to the attic, in a small rack.
I have a network switch in the rack as well (Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MKWYN5T?tag=ps-uk-netgear-002-21&ascsubtag=wtbs_63fd214a778dca9483390401&me=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Then from my BT Hub I have a cable going from the back of it, to the Cat 6 port in the wall which goes to the attic, then one from that port into the network switch. 
Any network port around the house you want active for internet you just need to plug a cable from the network switch to the necessary point on the patch panel which leads to the necessary room you need the connection.

The likes of TV/Gaming etc will generally get a better connection with a network cable.

I have this set up. Only difference is that the network switch sits in a cupboard in a bedroom instead. Reason being he said you didn't want to be crawling through the attic some night when it goes down.
The ports in each room are handy. Think patio/outdoors area. Is your WiFi network going to carry to it? Having a wireless port on the end of a Cat5 cable is handy in the room adjacent. Modern foil backed insulation boards just kill WiFi over longer distances.

Rodders88

Chaps, bit of advice needed. Currently thinking of buying a site and building our own house. Noting to big, roughly 2,000sq feet. Asked a few local builders just to get an idea and all 3 gave me different prices lol one said £100, 2nd man said £120 and 3rd man said £150 per sq foot. Anyone who has built in the last 12months give me a better idea?? Cheers

Nailer

£120 ft2 would get you a basic specification, it all depends on your level of finish, sanitary ware, kitchen, tiling,doors etc.. Storey and a half works out slightly cheaper than single storey as you have rooms in the roof space, less roof area foundations etc.. White PVC windows are the cheapest option for windows, if you go for sliding sashes for example the price goes up significantly, same goes for the roof, concrete tiles are cheapest option, natural slate is way more expensive, there are thin edge tiles and other options in between.
A flat site is obviously cheaper to build on than a sloping site, ensure electricity is available nearby as it can be expensive if you have to take it a distance.

RedHand88

Quote from: Rodders88 on February 28, 2023, 01:47:49 PM
Chaps, bit of advice needed. Currently thinking of buying a site and building our own house. Noting to big, roughly 2,000sq feet. Asked a few local builders just to get an idea and all 3 gave me different prices lol one said £100, 2nd man said £120 and 3rd man said £150 per sq foot. Anyone who has built in the last 12months give me a better idea?? Cheers

I don't believe it can be done for £100 now or at least I'd wonder what finish it is.
Mine is just finishing and I was able to do it for £110 or so. That was priced in 2021 and didn't include:

Floors, alot of tiles and labour(16k), that's 2 bathrooms tiled to the roof in that, 1 quite big
Bathrooms fitted out (8k for the stuff)
Solicitor, Architect. Engineer (maybe 6-7k for all)
NIE (We were 5.5k but know ones quoted 15k! Depends on transformer location, layout of site etc). It's the biggest pain of the whole thing...
NI Water (1200 maybe)
Beam MVHR and vacuum (6k)
Appliances 6k

Someone else mentioned the tiles that look like slates. I went with them, they look great and alot cheaper than slates. If you're picky about the slates you might want them though.
There is alot of money to spend outside of the builder, and it's only went up since then. PM if you want more info or that, happy to help.

Rodders88

Thanks for the info lads. The site is fully serviced already so Electric, water etc is already there, just have to hook into it. We are going ahead with the site so fingers crossed it all works out. I know I can get the materials at the right price and will have to run the build myself. 2,000 square foot house and I'm aiming to get it done for £200k.

Walter Cronc

Any one of any companies (in the north) that do off site/pre fab house extensions? Thinking of a timber clad side extension for the house.