building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Excessive humidity likely means you've got water getting in somewhere. Warm air can absorb more moisture than cold air. When warm humid air touches cold surface like a window it will drop in temperature and so release water onto the window. So while a dehumidifier works, don't forget to try and determine where the humidity is coming from in the 1st place.

Tyrdub

yep, this is an old old farmhouse, lots of holes originally, but all filled up now.

Perfect place for a team bonding session up the Mournes

OrchardRow

Hi everyone,

I put a message in a few months ago and have since started the build. Moving along pretty well at the minute with blockwork moving up to wall plate. Costs have been reasonable so far, but I know the fun is about to start when we get into roofs, windows, M&E, etc.

Just on this - has anyone used a renewable generation installer to design and install their M&E? I am specifically thinking of Dalys in Lisburn. I am bound by mortgage conditions to have a heat pump and triple glaze but would like to explore solar, MVHR systems, etc. while I am at it to make the most of it. You'll only get a chance to do it once!

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

God14

Quote from: OrchardRow on November 15, 2022, 09:09:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I put a message in a few months ago and have since started the build. Moving along pretty well at the minute with blockwork moving up to wall plate. Costs have been reasonable so far, but I know the fun is about to start when we get into roofs, windows, M&E, etc.

Just on this - has anyone used a renewable generation installer to design and install their M&E? I am specifically thinking of Dalys in Lisburn. I am bound by mortgage conditions to have a heat pump and triple glaze but would like to explore solar, MVHR systems, etc. while I am at it to make the most of it. You'll only get a chance to do it once!

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

PV panels with integrated Battery storage is something im interested in myself. 14nr 400w PV panels with a 5KW battery storage wont eliminate your electric bill, but will dramatically reduce it. Generate your own energy through the day, store it, and use it in the evening when your home from work

Walter Cronc

Slightly off topic but has anyone got one of those ring doorbells? Seems to be a few options cost wise online.

snoopdog

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 21, 2022, 09:43:20 PM
Slightly off topic but has anyone got one of those ring doorbells? Seems to be a few options cost wise online.
I have one. Just linked to the phone. To be honest it's a pain in the Hole. Can get an add on like a bell for inside. I need to get one. If your phones on silent which it usually is working from home you miss alot of calls.

RedHand88

Quote from: snoopdog on November 21, 2022, 10:00:14 PM
I have one. Just linked to the phone. To be honest it's a pain in the Hole. Can get an add on like a bell for inside. I need to get one. If your phones on silent which it usually is working from home you miss alot of calls.

So if you have your phone on silent it doesn't even ring?

Jeepers Creepers

Buy an indoor chime (bell) and a spare battery. They take hours to charge.

JohnDenver

Quote from: snoopdog on November 21, 2022, 10:00:14 PM

If you have an alexa device like an echo dot - you can use it as your chime i'm nearly sure?

RedHand88

Anyone notice their new build gong through an unholy amount of heating oil at the start? Going through 300L a month roughly at the minute and we aren't even living in it
That's just the underfloor and rads upstairs, not even any hot water.

Builder said its normal for a house drying out and it takes time to calm down.

God14

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 13, 2022, 10:17:54 AM
Anyone notice their new build gong through an unholy amount of heating oil at the start? Going through 300L a month roughly at the minute and we aren't even living in it

Yes - expect that for 12 months.
Have you the roof well insulated? Alot of people get to the stage youve described and are trying to dry the house out without the loft well insulated. Load up on it well, money well spent

RedHand88

Quote from: God14 on December 13, 2022, 10:51:17 AM

Have you the roof well insulated? Alot of people get to the stage youve described and are trying to dry the house out without the loft well insulated. Load up on it well, money well spent

Loft is insulated well but there are 2 holes in an upstairs roof into the loft where sun tunnels will be installed. Heat is likely flying up through it into the loft. Each hole is about 18-20inches each in diameter.

God14

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 13, 2022, 11:05:50 AM

Loft is insulated well but there are 2 holes in an upstairs roof into the loft where sun tunnels will be installed. Heat is likely flying up through it into the loft. Each hole is about 18-20inches each in diameter.

temporary fix / a sheet of ply and some loft wool.
The heatloss through the those holes would unfortunately keep the room stats in those zone's calling for heat full time.
You will still burn through loads of oil that first year regardless though.

RedHand88

Quote from: God14 on December 13, 2022, 11:57:18 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 13, 2022, 11:05:50 AM

temporary fix / a sheet of ply and some loft wool.
The heatloss through the those holes would unfortunately keep the room stats in those zone's calling for heat full time.
You will still burn through loads of oil that first year regardless though.

Good tip cheers.

knockitdown

Anyone taken out their oil boiler and put in an air source heat pump? Is there much (or any) saving on the running cost and how's the heat pump fair out in freezing temps?