Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

How much is a shipping container now?
For building materials?

PMG1

Quote from: marty34 on March 19, 2023, 07:21:29 AM
For building materials?
You would get a decent second hand one for c£3k, you would actually get a used curtain side trailer for less

marty34

Quote from: PMG1 on March 19, 2023, 02:32:10 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 19, 2023, 07:21:29 AM
For building materials?
You would get a decent second hand one for c£3k, you would actually get a used curtain side trailer for less

Thanks.

They're got a lot dearer this past year for some reason.

RedHand88

Mdf mold in a new build house.
Is it normal? Moldy mdf was used in a few places in the house. Should I be mentioning it or is it easy enough to clean off? Have already tried a little bleach and water with little success, should I just paint over it or get it replaced?

clarshack

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2023, 11:02:37 PM
Is it normal? Moldy mdf was used in a few places in the house. Should I be mentioning it or is it easy enough to clean off? Have already tried a little bleach and water with little success, should I just paint over it or get it replaced?

Sounds like you have a moisture issue which you need to address first. When did you first notice the mould?

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on May 15, 2023, 11:35:30 PM

Sounds like you have a moisture issue which you need to address first. When did you first notice the mould?

The mdf used by the joiner was moldy before he put it on.

God14

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 16, 2023, 06:50:18 AM

hmmmm  you might need a PIVU (positive input ventilation unit). Ventaxia do a good one, or nuaire drimaster. £250 mark, but there is a bit of work in the installation.

pbat

I'd replace the MDF first before investing in ventilation. If it was mouldy it would spread, MDF can hold a lot of moisture and unlike natural timber wont doesn't dry out fully. If its a new build house It shouldn't need additional ventilation, should have been designed in. Is any of the paint on the walls bubbling or flaky in the area the MDF is mouldy, if not I don't think you have damp issues.

RedHand88

Quote from: pbat on May 16, 2023, 08:48:04 AM

I'd replace the MDF first before investing in ventilation. If it was mouldy it would spread, MDF can hold a lot of moisture and unlike natural timber wont doesn't dry out fully. If its a new build house It shouldn't need additional ventilation, should have been designed in. Is any of the paint on the walls bubbling or flaky in the area the MDF is mouldy, if not I don't think you have damp issues.

Theres nothing wrong with the house itself, the joiner used mdf that had mold on it already. Don't know if it was lying outside before he used it or whatever.
Was checking if I should get him to replace it or paint over it?

Worried just because one area it was used in was the laundry chute where clothes will pile up in.

clarshack

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 16, 2023, 09:43:24 AM

Theres nothing wrong with the house itself, the joiner used mdf that had mold on it already. Don't know if it was lying outside before he used it or whatever.

Worried just because one area it was used in was the laundry chute where clothes will pile up in.

get him to replace the affected MDF as it could spread.

Keyser soze

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 16, 2023, 09:43:24 AM

File under "no brainer".

RedHand88

RedHand88

Sorry folks another question I'm stumped with.

Anyone know how to finish the underside of concrete curved stairs? Plasterers say skim won't stick, painter had mentioned some sort of resin but now he reckons it won't stay on either and won't do it. Thought about getting a piece of wood cut to cover it but it's awkward because as I said the stairs are curved.

Any suggestions from anyone in this field?

clarshack

anyone else hearing about construction slowing down?

was talking to a man who works in construction and he says they have no work at the minute. he is blaming the cost of living crisis along with continued interest rate rises as people are getting quotes for builds and when they do their calculations they just wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage.

marty34

Not related to building a house but a repair.

Damp patch in ceiling below bathroom.

Seems to be shower area. Any way of sorting it without having to take shower tray out?