A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Although not convinced by what the UUP are saying, at least they are putting up a better arguement than the TUV.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

The design of this road has advanced, with new stuff on the website recently.

However another consequence of Cowan & co's management is that the 26 counties will not be able to pony up their share and the UUP will get to protect the planters of the Foyle/Shrule valley from a Freestate road.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

I would say the long overdue road is dead in the water now.
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on November 22, 2010, 10:30:47 PM
I would say the long overdue road is dead in the water now.
I hear Dublin has asked for it back (but we offered them Gerry Adams instead  ;) )
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hereiam

Have it from good sorces that this road is going ahead as scheduled. All monies are in place

LeoMc

Quote from: Hereiam on November 22, 2010, 11:24:20 PM
Have it from good sorces that this road is going ahead as scheduled. All monies are in place

According to the news last night Cowan is still going to provide his share.

LeoMc

Quote from: Gnevin on July 06, 2009, 06:40:12 PM
Queue the NIMBY's or is it different up north?

No we have them too. The AA5A dont want a new road going through their valleys. Instead tje money should be used to upgrade the existing A5 (i.e make it faster and even more dangerous for everyone on it :o) and to build a railway ( ???)

ziggysego

Quote from: LeoMc on November 25, 2010, 05:27:57 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 22, 2010, 11:24:20 PM

According to the news last night Cowan is still going to provide his share.

According to the Ulster Herald, the money's definitely there from the south for the A5, but not necessarily from Stormont.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

QuoteAccording to the news last night Cowan is still going to provide his share.

The political will is there, but there has to still be question mark over the ability to pay. Borrowing money at high rates of interest for this project or any of the other road projects in the 26 counties does not make sense, at present.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

I see in the email previewing tomorrow's Ulster Herald, there's a bit piece in it about an investigation into fake letters of objections, that was submitted against the new road being built.
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

What is the story with the ££££££££? Are they available?

Hereiam

Latest update from Wesley Johnston

14 Jan 2011: The DRD has released its draft budget for the period 2011-2015. This shows that the A5 and A8 schemes are being progressed at all costs - all other schemes (with the exception of the Cherrymount Link in Enniskillen) have been put on hold until at least 2015 in order to ensure there is sufficient money for the A5 and A8. Even so, the budget assumes that the £400m contribution from the Irish government comes through (see previous update). The decision to press ahead with the A5 and A8 will certainly provoke debate because (a) a number of smaller schemes are being sacrificed to allow the A5 and A8 to proceed (b) the Irish government contribution carries a high risk of withdrawal (c) the A5 is one of the most controversial in recent years.

Maguire01

Quote from: EC Unique on February 02, 2011, 05:34:41 PM
What is the story with the ££££££££? Are they available?
FF were still saying yes in January. But they know they won't have to deliver on any such promise. One Labour TD (can't remember who) has already said it would not be a priority. And you couldn't really blame them.

Dougal Maguire

I could. This is a very important route as it is the main link from Dublin to Donegal and Derry and it needs to be upgraded every bit as much as all the projects which were completed under the Transport 21 programme
Careful now

Maguire01

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 02, 2011, 07:37:14 PM
I could. This is a very important route as it is the main link from Dublin to Donegal and Derry and it needs to be upgraded every bit as much as all the projects which were completed under the Transport 21 programme
Upgraded, yes, possibly. But is it an absolute priority? And does it need to be a full dual carraigeway? It's debatable. Anyway, is there any sign of the road being sorted up through Monaghan as far as Aughnacloy? Because that's one of the worst parts.