A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

I think it does need to be a dual carriageway all the way as anything short would be a road safety nightmare. I agree  with you that the road from Monaghan to Aughnacloy also needs to be upgraded
Careful now

armaghniac

QuoteAnyway, is there any sign of the road being sorted up through Monaghan as far as Aughnacloy? Because that's one of the worst parts.

It is mixed. It is also not that busy as main roads go.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 02, 2011, 07:43:46 PM
I think it does need to be a dual carriageway all the way as anything short would be a road safety nightmare. I agree  with you that the road from Monaghan to Aughnacloy also needs to be upgraded
It's not an overly unsafe road, is it? It doesn't have the reputation that the likes of the Dungannon to Ballygawley Road had. Would 2+1 lanes not work rather than a full dual carraigeway? Obviously the full works would be nice to drive on, but is there really the volume of traffic to warrant it?

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on February 02, 2011, 07:44:55 PM
QuoteAnyway, is there any sign of the road being sorted up through Monaghan as far as Aughnacloy? Because that's one of the worst parts.

It is mixed. It is also not that busy as main roads go.
Not that busy, but very bendy and very few opportunities, at least before Emyvale, to overtake. A horrible road to drive on, especially stuck behind a lorry.

ziggysego

Sammy Wilson just announced that Irish govt has postponed its part of the payment towards the planned A5 upgrade from Aughtnacloy.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on November 09, 2011, 01:44:17 PM
Sammy Wilson just announced that Irish govt has postponed its part of the payment towards the planned A5 upgrade from Aughtnacloy.

bbc describes the funding as "withdrawn"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trileacman

To date, with not one foot of tar laid, the republic have spent 19 million euro's. Lads is it any wonder you're fucked.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bensars

They were setting up Scaffolding and coning the area off, about a mile out of omagh on the dromore road yesterday. It looks like (im no enginneer) setting up for a bridge. I thought it was the start of the new through pass to Derry

ziggysego

Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2011, 02:18:30 PM

According to SDLP West Tyrone MLA Joe Byrne on the party's website:

"I have had assurances through SDLP party leader Alasdair McDonnell, who met with Dublin government ministers this week and sought assurances that this is only a postponement and not a cancellation."

Testing Accessibility

trileacman

Quote from: Bensars on November 09, 2011, 02:45:32 PM
They were setting up Scaffolding and coning the area off, about a mile out of omagh on the dromore road yesterday. It looks like (im no enginneer) setting up for a bridge. I thought it was the start of the new through pass to Derry
Thats for pylons lad, you don't put a bridge with scaffolding. It takes in the region of 2-3 acres of foundations to make a bridge.

trileacman

Well even if it is only a postponement you can see which way the wind is blowing. Kenny trying to let us down easy I'd imagine.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on November 09, 2011, 02:52:45 PM

"I have had assurances through SDLP party leader Alasdair McDonnell, who met with Dublin government ministers this week and sought assurances that this is only a postponement and not a cancellation."

That's what north Donegal gets for Mc Guinness topping the presidential poll therein.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hereiam

Is stormount still planning on taking a chunk of this for repairs to some railway line?

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on November 09, 2011, 02:52:45 PM

Those SDLP dudes are a bit dim witted, easy to pull a fast one on them,
thinking that a Leinster house assurance could miraculously turn a cancellation into a postponement.
;D