Who is the most famous person you’ve met?

Started by BennyCake, January 05, 2021, 06:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StPatsAbu

Freddie Mercury in Harrods and Mick Jagger in Covent Garden

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on January 10, 2021, 11:28:02 PM
Met Martin McGuinness too, at a football dinner.

Was on a plane with Babs Keating once. He walked up and down the aisle in his bare feet, so he did.
Sat beside Sean Boylan on a plane once

One of his travelling companions broke my ankle and then trampled on my head, I needed a bandage after it

In all seriousness though, he's a thorough gentleman, said hello and introduced himself as "Sean" and we chatted away goodo

He was on a flight from Belfast going over to the Heino final in Edinburgh in '09, as was I

stephenite

johnnycool

Was on a plane with Babs Keating once. He walked up and down the aisle in his bare feet, so he did.

Babs was never fond of the old socks and shoes in his playing days!!  ;)

Taylor

tbrick18

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2021, 09:14:41 AM

Was only joking about the bare feet  ;D But he was on the plane alright.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on January 11, 2021, 09:08:02 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2021, 09:14:41 AM

Was only joking about the bare feet  ;D But he was on the plane alright.

I knew you were but might have been lost on some of the young cubs on here   ;D

Hound

Spent 4 or 5 hours drinking with Kenny Cunningham. Albeit he didn't drink. He had just played a game with Wimbledon. He doesn't come across great on TV imo, but he was an absolute gentleman. He said he supported Liverpool as a kid. He had just submitted his PFA team of the year, so we had great fun dissecting that, in particular his choice of Andy Cole for centre forward!
Didi Hamann and Dominic Matteo were in the same place. They were drinking and didnt stay long, so I just went over and annoyed them for a couple of minutes.

Had a pint with Paul Geaney about 2/3 years ago and he described Mayo as the most cynical team in the country, the masters of the Dark Arts!

I was in business class on a flight to New York a number of years ago. Not my usual mode of transport and I was supposed to do some work on the plane, but once they gave me the glass of bubbly on entering, that went out the window and it was all "movies and booze"! Michael Noonan was a minister at the time and was one seat across and one seat ahead so I'd a very good view of him. He worked the whole way across apart from a quick snooze at the end.

About 15-20 years ago I answered the door of the place I was working to Jack O'Shea. I was only a young buck and he was very ignorant and aggressive. Albeit he was owed money by a company I was representing, so he probably had some cause!
At a club match a couple of years ago I asked Brian Mullins a question about a Vincents player. I dunno whether he just didn't know the answer or just didn't wanna speak to a randomer, but I was taken aback with his gruff response. 

Was in a business meeting with the two Bernard Brogans. Senior was a bit coy/reserved. Junior was very bubbly, chatty and just very likeable and down to earth.

GetOverTheBar

Diarmuid Connelly on day in Croker too! (During his time out).

Great fella, asked him did he not miss it out of cheek and he said with an accent like mine was I lost down here, he's in some shape. Very, very lean, not the kind of hulking physique the TV shows.