Morg gone Fuels

Started by Agent Orange, November 07, 2012, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Armagh have been hit with the news that Morgan Fuels has decided to severe all commercial links with them and has withdrawn from its sponsorship of the Athletic Grounds.

The announcement comes just a week after Armagh announced Rainbow Communications as their new jersey sponsors, replacing Morgan Fuels who has supported the county for the last 15-years.

In 2010 Morgan became naming right sponsors of the redeveloped Athletic Grounds but there has been a breakdown in the relationship between the company and the Orchard County board in recent times, with the company suspending their financial support.

Commenting on the decision to server commercial links with Armagh GAA, Hugh Morgan, Managing Director, Morgan Fuels said: "Since 1995 Morgan Fuels has contributed a very significant sum to the support and development of Armagh Football and Hurling, a sum that is well in excess of seven-figures.

"In very recent times, however, we have witnessed a serious decline in the atmosphere prevailing at County level matches, reflected in poor results and the souring of key relationships. As the principal sponsor of the County teams and of the Athletic Grounds, we have been in a very difficult position. Not only have we increasingly found ourselves at odds with the County Board over their failure to provide the branding and corporate hospitality benefits that were to be provided as part of our sponsorship agreements, but even more importantly, over their failure to take decisive and strategic action to stem the decline of Armagh Football.

"Earlier this year, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that, not only were the County Board complacent about Morgan Fuel's continued financial support, but they were failing to use the money to invest in the development of the teams. I sought to bring pressure on the Board by asking them to bring forward a strategy that would equip Armagh Football to go forward with confidence and to strive for the success they had achieved previously. I made it clear that unless such a strategy was developed, the financial support of Morgan Fuels could not be guaranteed. I am sorry to say that my request was ignored and, consequently, I had no option but to suspend our financial support. This impasse has continued for the last 6 months and led to the complete breakdown of our relationship with the County Board.

"On Sunday 28th October my brother-in-law died suddenly and on that same day I received by email a letter from the Chairman of the County Board making reference to my bereavement but informing me that new team sponsors were to be announced imminently, proposing that we could continue to pay for the naming rights to the Athletic Grounds and requesting a meeting the following evening (Monday). This was obviously impossible in the circumstances and showed no respect for me or my family. On Monday evening the County Secretary also sent me a letter by email regarding the sponsorship, again with no thought for my personal circumstances

"I wish everyone associated with Armagh GAA every success going forward and hope that the new sponsorship agreements bring appropriate benefits to the companies involved and the County. Until very recently, I have always enjoyed my association with Armagh and have been proud to play a small part in the County's development and success over these last 17 years."

mattockranger

Armagh's loss could be Louth's Gain!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

AZOffaly

I thought Gain used to sponsor Waterford?

bennydorano

Interesting, getting his retaliation in first.  Theres a shit storm abrewing.

downjim

Agent Orange

Coiste Chontae Ard Mhacha are disappointed with Mr. Morgan's response to our new sponsorship arrangements since at all times we endeavour to conduct our affairs with discretion and integrity. While our partnership with Morgan Fuels has been prosperous and mutually respectful for many years; some complications have arisen recently regarding their contractual relationship with Ard Mhacha. Out of respect to Mr. Morgan and the excellent partnership which we have enjoyed with him, we will not get involved in going into detail on this, but wish him and his company well. We would point out however that we did neither initiate, nor end the stadium involvement with his company and we were given to believe that this was to continue until we discovered early last week that Mr. Morgan had decided to bring it to an end. Finally, while we always welcome advice on how to manage our coaching and games, we will continue to ensure that this part of our operation will at all times be under the strategic control of our county board.

yellowcard

The real problem is that Hughie didn't feel that he was being listened to when it came to development plans, structures, choosing managers etc etc. I half expected something like this would happen once it became clear there was a breakdown with Hughie and county board. It happened before after he formed a breakaway club after being ousted from his own club. The county board would be best served to say nothing else on the matter.

spuds

Quote from: yellowcard on November 07, 2012, 08:39:05 PM
The real problem is that Hughie didn't feel that he was being listened to when it came to development plans, structures, choosing managers etc etc. I half expected something like this would happen once it became clear there was a breakdown with Hughie and county board. It happened before after he formed a breakaway club after being ousted from his own club. The county board would be best served to say nothing else on the matter.

What clubs would that be ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

EC Unique

Dirty washing out for all to see. Classy. ::)

bennydorano

As with all things, there are 2 sides to every story - & then there's the truth.

Tony Baloney

If a major sponsor believes they have a say in strategy and development then it will notbsit well with any county board. Having said that they are entitled to question the nature of investment of their cash. Behind closed doors.

theskull1

Great respect for these issues to be discussed behind closed doors. Would have worked on other non gaa  threads aswell
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bennydorano

Delighted to see that very few people are buying into what Morgan's been trying to sell with his press release, Co Board have played it well.

In what Universe are sponsors given a say in the running of County teams?

AZOffaly

They should, but the question is does he, or should he, have a major input into what that development plan is? A sponsor's money doesn't necessarily give him a large say on how the county board actually conducts its business. Of course if he isn't happy with how his money is being used, he is within his rights to spend it elsewhere.

Lecale2

I remember being at a NFL match in Crossmaglen and Mr Morgan was on the pitch during the warm-up before the game carrying a big bag of balls. He watched the match from the sideline sitting beside the County secretary or selectors.

I've never seen any other sponsor take on such a role.