Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Spike on January 28, 2022, 04:17:00 PM
not really sure what you want here Cloot.  Can't relocate St Louis and your posts suggest you feel its mindset cant be changed.

What I am driving at is that I think it is simply unrealistic to expect football ever to become the "main" game in St Louis or even for St Louis to get to and compete regularly at A level in football, no matter what steps the school may take to promote football.

In much of St Louis' hinterland, hurling is the main, if not the only, game. Soccer is strong in the area too. Those are just the realities.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, if a talented (or ambitious) footballer from the southwest is looking at secondary schools and sees St Louis' and St Mary's as equal academically, he goes to St Mary's if he wants a chance to play McRory. How can St Louis' ever be attractive to such a player from a football perspective?

Saffsof82

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on January 28, 2022, 04:46:34 PM
not really sure what you want here Cloot.  Can't relocate St Louis and your posts suggest you feel its mindset cant be changed.

What I am driving at is that I think it is simply unrealistic to expect football ever to become the "main" game in St Louis or even for St Louis to get to and compete regularly at A level in football, no matter what steps the school may take to promote football.

In much of St Louis' hinterland, hurling is the main, if not the only, game. Soccer is strong in the area too. Those are just the realities.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, if a talented (or ambitious) footballer from the southwest is looking at secondary schools and sees St Louis' and St Mary's as equal academically, he goes to St Mary's if he wants a chance to play McRory. How can St Louis' ever be attractive to such a player from a football perspective?

That is the question being asked alright. So the discussion started off maligning our lack of schools competing in A competitions and even being consistent at the finishing line of B competitions. Alot of factors for that situation have been identified and some parts of a solution put forward in the context one one school St Louis.
No easy fix here fellas and we never even got started on the Belfast schools!

Saffsof82

18 league games in u15 football plus championship, thats some change, obviously someone was listen earlier

bannside

A Ronan Devlin part funded by schools part funded by county would definitely make some difference. That's for sure. That's the action plan that is coming out if this, for me anyway. Maybe a company sponsor would chi in too, make it a three way payment arrangement.

Tbh, not having a pop here, but this needs to be something GA can deliver if he's serious about making a difference.

Flanker

Quote from: bannside on January 28, 2022, 05:18:26 PM
A Ronan Devlin part funded by schools part funded by county would definitely make some difference. That's for sure. That's the action plan that is coming out if this, for me anyway. Maybe a company sponsor would chi in too, make it a three way payment arrangement.

Tbh, not having a pop here, but this needs to be something GA can deliver if he's serious about making a difference.
As far as I know Ronan came in on a scheme either partially funded by Derry or Ulster as a coaching development officer. He then left for a year to do a PGDip (I think that is what it is). He is now a full time teacher in the school. They have had 1 or 2 others in as well.

Not many Ronan's around though and you need to get All Saints at full throttle to feed numbes and base line quality in... Supplement with a handful from 8 _ 10 surrounding clubs and you have a mini St Mary's setup. Could SW Antrim create a special project and get it of the ground get buy in from clubs as they will all stand to gain

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 28, 2022, 04:56:00 PM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on January 28, 2022, 04:46:34 PM

That is the question being asked alright. So the discussion started off maligning our lack of schools competing in A competitions and even being consistent at the finishing line of B competitions. Alot of factors for that situation have been identified and some parts of a solution put forward in the context one one school St Louis.
No easy fix here fellas and we never even got started on the Belfast schools!
Months 13 odd years there's been 3 wins a b grade football in Belfast. Hurling still the main sport at both schools (La Salle, and St Mary's) that's where the silverware is and they'll keep going down that road, every now and again a decent football team comes along.

That being said and answered, are Belfast teams only winners of McRory cup in Antrim?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Yes, MR which makes it twice as bad, because there should be so much tradition up there in the city that normally you would expect to trickle down through the generations. But that definitely does not seem to have happened.

The All Ireland under 21winning team were 95/% City men too, where's all that ability and interest and genepool disappeared to?

We play Fermanagh tomorrow night and if you take the players adoring families out of the equation you could count on a couple of hands the die hards who are there most of the time, through thick and thin.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on January 28, 2022, 06:44:01 PM
Yes, MR which makes it twice as bad, because there should be so much tradition up there in the city that normally you would expect to trickle down through the generations. But that definitely does not seem to have happened.

The All Ireland under 21winning team were 95/% City men too, where's all that ability and interest and genepool disappeared to?

We play Fermanagh tomorrow night and if you take the players adoring families out of the equation you could count on a couple of hands the die hards who are there most of the time, through thick and thin.

As has been said here many a time, Belfast is pish at football
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

Lads it's like this, if casements lose I'm p####d off for the next fortnight, Antrim maybe the rest of the day and my weins school not really at all. I'd say 95% of Antrim gaels are the same and that's why we don't have a big push with said projects.
Club is king.

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on January 28, 2022, 06:44:01 PM

The cub playing the u20s tomorrow in Fermanagh then the whole team for the seniors game, definitely help our representation

country bumpkin

St Mary's proceed to MacCrory final....1-10 to 1-07...

Saffsof82

Conchuir Johnston had some game , brilliant

Lár na páirce 1

Conhuir Johnston MOTM also, that's them good Derry schools coaching 😜

erinsboy

Conhuir Johnston best player on the pitch by a country mile ,he really is a serious talent and a workhorse every game.

Milltown Row2

Amazing result for our Antrim players on that team