The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

There's a lot come out recently about Republican attempts to keep the Iranians from releasing the hostages, until after the election.  Personally don't think he was as bad as he's made out to be (though I wasn't old enough to experience it IRL).

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/expert-analyzes-new-account-of-gop-deal-that-used-iran-hostage-crisis-for-gain

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2023, 03:11:48 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2023, 02:03:54 AM
G W Bush

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?personid=3813

D Trump

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?personid=20967

Overall ranking

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?page=overall
yes we should believe what c span tells us

It's a ranking list done by presidential historians. No offence but I think I'll pay more heed to that group of well educated and tuned people than some minority opinions on here.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gmac

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2023, 03:49:04 AM
Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2023, 03:11:48 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2023, 02:03:54 AM
G W Bush

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?personid=3813

D Trump

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?personid=20967

Overall ranking

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2021/?page=overall
yes we should believe what c span tells us

It's a ranking list done by presidential historians. No offence but I think I'll pay more heed to that group of well educated and tuned people than some minority opinions on here.
go ahead still doesn't make it facts

J70

Nothing stopping you presenting fact-based, thought-through, views Gmac, if you have them...

lenny

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2023, 01:46:12 PM
Nothing stopping you presenting fact-based, thought-through, views Gmac, if you have them...

He's got plenty of alternative facts.

Gmac

can't wait to see where these experts put ol Scranton joe

imtommygunn

What would make you listen to it though? If it fitted your opinion?

Piskin

Carter brought politics into sport by boycotting the Moscow Olympics in 1980, imagine how the american athletes felt after years of training for, of course the russians then boycotted the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Kennedy & G W Bush started wars that we are still paying for today yet Trump had a booming economy, kept inflation in check and started no wars and he is ranked lower that those?  Beyond laughable.

Gmac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2023, 05:21:02 PM
What would make you listen to it though? If it fitted your opinion?
do you like to reference Wikipedia for political statistics too ?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Piskin on April 02, 2023, 05:44:45 PM
Carter brought politics into sport by boycotting the Moscow Olympics in 1980, imagine how the american athletes felt after years of training for, of course the russians then boycotted the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Kennedy & G W Bush started wars that we are still paying for today yet Trump had a booming economy, kept inflation in check and started no wars and he is ranked lower that those?  Beyond laughable.
He also cut environmental policies, rubbished global warming, withdrew from climate treaties, got impeached twice, strengthened links with Israel, was the most embarrassing presidential loser by a long shot and nearly built a wall.

But to be fair he did make over 25k tweets, although he got banned in the process for risk of incitement of violence.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

J70

Trump's economy was a continuation of the post-2008 trend. If you can point to some inflection point, go ahead. Inflation would have gone through the roof as supply chains struggled to recover post-Covid no matter who was president, just like it did everywhere else. You can argue degree, but high inflation was inevitable under the circumstances.

And say what you want about the rest of them, but they didn't try (and aren't still trying) to undermine and subvert democracy itself all because they didn't want to be seen as a"loser " (his words), and also wanted to try to protect themselves from being held accountable. For that alone, Trump is a stain on US history. Well not get into the bigotry and lost stolen children. Or impeachments.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2023, 04:28:09 PM
can't wait to see where these experts put ol Scranton joe

So nothing to offer then.

Piskin

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2023, 08:01:46 PM

Trump's economy was a continuation of the post-2008 trend. If you can point to some inflection point, go ahead. Inflation would have gone through the roof as supply chains struggled to recover post-Covid no matter who was president, just like it did everywhere else. You can argue degree, but high inflation was inevitable under the circumstances.

And say what you want about the rest of them, but they didn't try (and aren't still trying) to undermine and subvert democracy itself all because they didn't want to be seen as a"loser " (his words), and also wanted to try to protect themselves from being held accountable. For that alone, Trump is a stain on US history. Well not get into the bigotry and lost stolen children. Or impeachments.

As I said during his "time" in office he kept inflation in check. He signed in the Jobs Act in early 2017 and the economy was boosted to high levels. As to his character I said it wasn't my cup of coffee, yes he was petulent and a sore loser and no doubt corrupt & underhanded, what politician isn't?  I don't deny his bad points but no one can deny that we had peace & prosperity during his time much like another questionable character Clinton.