The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

What do we want.
Everything free!
Who's going to pay for it?
Anyone but me!
Heard an Anti everything candidate being interviewed on a Leinster local station while driving this morning.
Pure comedy!
Wants and end to charges for public water and sewerage, end to Property tax, abolish USC up to €70k and in the next breath wants major spending on Health and Housing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: armaghniac on February 18, 2016, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 18, 2016, 02:59:16 PM
I dunno why I bother but here goes. You already pay for your water. If you want to pay twice go ahead. Some people think paying twice for someting is idiotic but each to their own.

I don't know why you bother either, as you are only posting nonsense.

The government decided water would be paid for partly by bill, if you do not pay this then you have not paid for your water. If you continue using water then you have stolen it.

If the government decided one day that you need to jump off the Cliffs of Moher will you and the other FG cheerleaders comply with their directive?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

macdanger2

Trying to abolish property tax one is strange - surely anyone who owns their own house is reasonably well off? They're certainly not the poorest in society

mikehunt

Quote from: Rossfan on February 18, 2016, 04:06:13 PM
What do we want.
Everything free!
Who's going to pay for it?
Anyone but me!
Heard an Anti everything candidate being interviewed on a Leinster local station while driving this morning.
Pure comedy!
Wants and end to charges for public water and sewerage, end to Property tax, abolish USC up to €70k and in the next breath wants major spending on Health and Housing.

+1.
W***nkers the lot of them.

mikehunt

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 18, 2016, 04:14:03 PM
Trying to abolish property tax one is strange - surely anyone who owns their own house is reasonably well off? They're certainly not the poorest in society

Not if you paid 500k for a house that's only worth 300k now.

Tubberman

Quote from: mikehunt on February 18, 2016, 04:16:08 PM

Unless you're trying to sell it, that makes fck all difference.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

If you were able to get a mortgage for 500k and are still paying it then you're not one of poorest in society. Negative equity has nothing to do with your ability to pay.

Maybe your motor tax covers your property tax as well though

mikehunt

Quote from: Tubberman on February 18, 2016, 04:25:20 PM

Unless you're trying to sell it, that makes fck all difference.

You are saying they are reasonably well off if they own a house. Not the case if they're paying a mortgage on a house with negative equity.

armaghniac

Quote from: foxcommander on February 18, 2016, 04:12:46 PM
If the government decided one day that you need to jump off the Cliffs of Moher will you and the other FG cheerleaders comply with their directive?

do you reject the proposition that it is within the remit of an elected government can rearrange the structure of taxes and charges?

Are all the parties with different proposals not entitled to propose these and implement them if they get elected?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 18, 2016, 04:29:28 PM
If you were able to get a mortgage for 500k and are still paying it then you're not one of poorest in society. Negative equity has nothing to do with your ability to pay.

Theres a lot of folk treading water just about able to pay the mortgage. The extras are killing them.

Maybe you forget that during the bubble the house prices were ridiculous. People were living beyond their means I agree but with no end in to the price rises tried to get on the ladder before prices went completely out of reach.

Same people lost their jobs after the bust. They may be debt if they sell their house and homeless to boot- a real catch 22.

Does that not register with you at all?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

mikehunt

If you have an asset worth 300k but paid 500k for it, you are down 200k. Just because you own a house does not mean you are wealthy. What if you took out a mortgage when things were going well. You could afford the mortgage. But then the recession came, you had a paycut, new taxes were introduced, USC, Property Tax, Water Tax. All of a sudden the mortgage is not so affordable. But you think they're doing well cso they have a 500k mortgage? Just before you take delight and hope that this person is me, it's not. I bought my house when prices were very low but I have a bit of empathy for those that are not so lucky.

macdanger2

Quote from: mikehunt on February 18, 2016, 05:13:17 PM

If you have an asset worth 300k but paid 500k for it, you are down 200k. Just because you own a house does not mean you are wealthy. What if you took out a mortgage when things were going well. You could afford the mortgage. But then the recession came, you had a paycut, new taxes were introduced, USC, Property Tax, Water Tax. All of a sudden the mortgage is not so affordable. But you think they're doing well cso they have a 500k mortgage? Just before you take delight and hope that this person is me, it's not. I bought my house when prices were very low but I have a bit of empathy for those that are not so lucky.

The fact that the asset has decreased in value has ZERO effect on your ability to pay mike. Why is that fact difficult to grasp??

If we divide society into those who own a house and those who don't, which group would you say are better off??

But of course, you're not paying because of your empathy with those who are unable to pay, that's a good one  ;D  ;D

macdanger2

Quote from: foxcommander on February 18, 2016, 05:06:43 PM

Theres a lot of folk treading water just about able to pay the mortgage. The extras are killing them.

Maybe you forget that during the bubble the house prices were ridiculous. People were living beyond their means I agree but with no end in to the price rises tried to get on the ladder before prices went completely out of reach.

Same people lost their jobs after the bust. They may be debt if they sell their house and homeless to boot- a real catch 22.

Does that not register with you at all?

So you want to abolish the property tax rather than give an exemption say for someone who's on welfare??

Abolition of the property tax will only benefit the wealthiest in the society - do you disagree with that??

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on February 18, 2016, 05:13:17 PM

Have you much empathy for the law abiding responsible person that pays his water bill and who sees crooked politicians promising an amesty for less law abiding people?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Gerry Adams was giving a similar reason today.
Sure Poor Jorry has only 2 or is it 3 houses. He should give P Flynn a shout if he's finding it hard to manage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM