Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 02:44:20 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 09:47:37 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 02, 2015, 07:46:22 PM
That's awesome. Minister for druggies. Passionate environment??? WTH.
Meanwhile there are people with genuine medical issues that are not self inflicted that are denied treatment due to cuts.
More PC madness.

"It will effectively mean a diplomatic immunity to inject heroin in a safe, secure, passionate environment," he said.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1102/739107-minister-proposes-injection-rooms-for-addicts/
What exactly is it that you have a problem with? Do you think the current situation is preferable?

None of these situations are preferable. There shouldn't be a need in the first place.
You're criticising an initiative that attempts to deal with a current problem and your response is that there shouldn't be a need for it in the first place?

Wasting resources.
So you'd just leave things as they are in this regard?
As I said, there should be no need for any of this. Personal responsibility and some cop on.

You're intentionally avoiding the question so here it is again. Given the current situation (not what should/should not be the situation) and given that you think this initiative is a waste of resources, what do you suggest be done?

It's irrelevant what I think should be done. I'm merely pointed out these selfish/stupid individuals are taking resources away from those who might need it more.
Like the obese or those suffering from lung cancer for example or are resources wasted on those people too. After all, weren't they stupid to eat badly and smoke cigarettes? What about someone that didn't bother completing their leaving cert or a third level education? Should we remove any benefit they might be on?

Who mentioned benefits?
If you didn't finish your leaving cert there may be many reasons for that. Heroin as a choice (which it is) is avoidable.

But go ahead and make excuses for it.

and Rossfan  ;D ;D ;D - still following me. I love it!!

I mentioned benefits. It's all coming from the one pot.

If you choose to not do your leaving cert because you're lazy or you believe, as young person, that it is more beneficial to wok, then would withdraw benefits? That's a choice, similar to taking heroin. As is smoking or eating badly, not exercising etc.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, I just believe it's a good plan.

So again, could you answer the question?

Equating taking heroin with not finishing your leaving cert. Jesus.
I don't care what happens to junkies. Time and money spent on a self inflicted problem when there are real hard luck cases - people losing their houses, elderly who won't have heating this xmas.
Read into that what you want.

Nobody's equating anything but if my education/employment example upsets you try the obese one. Do you care about them? Should money be put into educating people about their lifesytle choices?

Maguire01

It's amazing to see the attitudes towards vulnerable people, be it those with dependency issues, refugees etc., from those who purport to support left-leaning parties.

foxcommander

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 05:46:57 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 05:04:38 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 04:22:35 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 02:51:01 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 02:44:20 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 03, 2015, 09:47:37 AM
Meanwhile there are people with genuine medical issues that are not self inflicted that are denied treatment due to cuts.
More PC madness.

"It will effectively mean a diplomatic immunity to inject heroin in a safe, secure, passionate environment," he said.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1102/739107-minister-proposes-injection-rooms-for-addicts/
What exactly is it that you have a problem with? Do you think the current situation is preferable?

None of these situations are preferable. There shouldn't be a need in the first place.
You're criticising an initiative that attempts to deal with a current problem and your response is that there shouldn't be a need for it in the first place?

Wasting resources.
So you'd just leave things as they are in this regard?
As I said, there should be no need for any of this. Personal responsibility and some cop on.

You're intentionally avoiding the question so here it is again. Given the current situation (not what should/should not be the situation) and given that you think this initiative is a waste of resources, what do you suggest be done?

It's irrelevant what I think should be done. I'm merely pointed out these selfish/stupid individuals are taking resources away from those who might need it more.
Like the obese or those suffering from lung cancer for example or are resources wasted on those people too. After all, weren't they stupid to eat badly and smoke cigarettes? What about someone that didn't bother completing their leaving cert or a third level education? Should we remove any benefit they might be on?

Who mentioned benefits?
If you didn't finish your leaving cert there may be many reasons for that. Heroin as a choice (which it is) is avoidable.

But go ahead and make excuses for it.

and Rossfan  ;D ;D ;D - still following me. I love it!!

I mentioned benefits. It's all coming from the one pot.

If you choose to not do your leaving cert because you're lazy or you believe, as young person, that it is more beneficial to wok, then would withdraw benefits? That's a choice, similar to taking heroin. As is smoking or eating badly, not exercising etc.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, I just believe it's a good plan.

So again, could you answer the question?

Equating taking heroin with not finishing your leaving cert. Jesus.
I don't care what happens to junkies. Time and money spent on a self inflicted problem when there are real hard luck cases - people losing their houses, elderly who won't have heating this xmas.
Read into that what you want.

Nobody's equating anything but if my education/employment example upsets you try the obese one. Do you care about them? Should money be put into educating people about their lifesytle choices?

I really don't know how in this day and age that the dangers of eating junk food or injecting heroin is a surprise.
The consequences of these actions are well known.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility. Kids requiring hospital beds being denied funding because it's being allocated to making nicer junkie spaces.

Again getting back to the FG aspect of this - it's money being wasted by a govt department.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Esmarelda

The dangers are well known and hopefully in the future the lessons will be learned but you think that people in current difficulty should be disregarded. Have you ever done anything in your life that required help from others?

Also, do you think that this particular idea going ahead will directly result in sick children not getting beds? We had plenty of money 10 years ago and we still had similar problems in the HSE. You bring the term "black and white" to new levels.

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 03, 2015, 05:52:51 PM
It's amazing to see the attitudes towards vulnerable people, be it those with dependency issues, refugees etc., from those who purport to support left-leaning parties.

True for you Mother Theresa.  If only they'd given those resources to a more worthy cause like Denis O Brien.  You should get on to your Blueshirt brethren and start asking questions. 

finbar o tool

More PC madness.

I absolutely applaud this. About time! Anyone who is against something like this is brainless!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

foxcommander

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 03, 2015, 08:21:54 PM
More PC madness.

I absolutely applaud this. About time! Anyone who is against something like this is brainless!

Having to dodge through zombie druggies in Dublin City Centre for a few years I understand the issue and the reasons for it. Bumping into them shooting up with trousers around their ankles outside your front door isn't a very nice sight.

My issue with this is the resources that are being funnelled into this exercise when there are far more worthy causes that need attention but because they don't cause general disturbances like the druggies it's easier to ignore them.

but if the state wants to prop them up forever...

finbar o tool

At this stage, almost every corner of society, every department, is a worthy cause. Such is modern day Ireland. This "war on drugs" or whatever its called these days CLEARLY isnt working.
Most people think 'drugs are bad', 'throw any scum who use any sort of drug in jail' as if that'll fix our problems! We need progressive thinking on this, and this is what the "minister for druggies" is trying to do.

mikehunt

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 03, 2015, 09:02:47 PM
At this stage, almost every corner of society, every department, is a worthy cause. Such is modern day Ireland. This "war on drugs" or whatever its called these days CLEARLY isnt working.
Most people think 'drugs are bad', 'throw any scum who use any sort of drug in jail' as if that'll fix our problems! We need progressive thinking on this, and this is what the "minister for druggies" is trying to do.

Nothing but a token gesture. Funding to treatment centres slashed and treatment geared towards out patient which makes it harder for addicts to stay off it. Not sure but are waiting lists for these rehab courses something like two or three years.

foxcommander

Most people think 'drugs are bad'

They aren't?? Wow - and there was me thinking they only bring misery and a host of other problems.

Making excuses for this is a problem. Why should law abiding citizens have to put up with it? The knock on effects of crime due to theft and drug dealing activities is something we could all do without.

finbar o tool

Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 09:27:09 PM
Most people think 'drugs are bad'

They aren't?? Wow - and there was me thinking they only bring misery and a host of other problems.

Making excuses for this is a problem. Why should law abiding citizens have to put up with it? The knock on effects of crime due to theft and drug dealing activities is something we could all do without.

You take one remark i make out of context, just to make a "funny" joke?
I dont even follow you, are you for or against this??

Alcohol is the single worst drug on the planet. It causes infinite death/pain/misery mental and physical abuse etc etc etc etc just look at the 'drink driving' thread!
And if i go out tonight and get hammered, fall the whole way home, no one bats an eye! Its funny to some people. I would say everyone on this site knows someone badly affected by alcohol one way or another. But we cant treat people with drug addictions like patients rather than criminals? Why dont we lock up alcoholics in jail. People who get addicted to pain killers and other over the counter drugs, why dont we throw them in jail??
The situation as it is, is not manageable.
Open your minds to other solutions as other countries successfully have!

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on November 03, 2015, 08:00:34 PM

True for you Mother Theresa.  If only they'd given those resources to a more worthy cause like Denis O Brien.  You should get on to your Blueshirt brethren and start asking questions.
Surely you can do better than that?

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 08:53:49 PM
More PC madness.

Having to dodge through zombie druggies in Dublin City Centre for a few years I understand the issue and the reasons for it. Bumping into them shooting up with trousers around their ankles outside your front door isn't a very nice sight.

My issue with this is the resources that are being funnelled into this exercise when there are far more worthy causes that need attention but because they don't cause general disturbances like the druggies it's easier to ignore them.

Once again, all the problems and no solutions.

If this stops a few addicts contracting HIV and Hepatitis C, then surely it will save the health service money in the long term? Not to mention improving the prospects of the addicts in this regard, and taking this off the street. It's a proven approach in other countries, so it seems like something worth pursuing.

Esmarelda

Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2015, 08:53:49 PM
More PC madness.

So you've encountered these people, they bother you but you just hope it goes away without doing anything about it.

Are you actually serious or a WUM? Genuine question.

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 03, 2015, 10:33:40 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on November 03, 2015, 08:00:34 PM

Surely you can do better than that?

Coming from the man who thinks Irish Water is a great idea and will somehow reduce the national deficit, I don't need to.